Texas State going I-A in football

BobcatKing

The Texas State ASG measure passed with 80% supporting our move to I-A football. The move must be made in 5 years or less or athletic funding will be cut by 50%. The Texas State Board of Regents approved our move to I-A football back in 2000 if we find conference affiliation. I hope you guys invite us to the SBC. SBC officials were on campus a year ago looking at our facilities.

http://star.txstate.edu/index.php?option=c...sk=view&id=1414

Edited by BobcatKing

Guest Aquila_Viridis

The Texas State ASG measure passed with 80% supporting our move to I-A  football.  The move must be made in 5 years or less or athletic funding will be cut by 50%.  The Texas State Board of Regents approved our move to I-A football back in 2000 if we find conference affiliation.  I hope you guys invite us to the SBC.  SBC officials were on campus a year ago looking at our facilities.

http://star.txstate.edu/index.php?option=c...sk=view&id=1414

Wishing your school would be big time and it actually being big time are two different things. Believe me, we know. I can't say I wish you good luck, but I do wish us good luck.

Since NASCAR is in town this weekend I will compare the move from 1AA to 1A as moving from the Busch series to the Cup series. It is a whole different game.

Having said that, I wish them well. I would welcome them to the Sun Belt. It would give us nine football playing schools and make for 4 home and 4 road games each year in conference play. I enjoyed playing them in our Southland Conference days. It is a nice road trip that lots of our fans could make.

Since NASCAR is in town this weekend I will compare the move from 1AA to 1A as moving from the Busch series to the Cup series.  It is a whole different game. 

Having said that, I wish them well.  I would welcome them to the Sun Belt.  It would give us nine football playing schools and make for 4 home and 4 road games each year in conference play.    I enjoyed playing them in our Southland Conference days.  It is a nice road trip that lots of our fans could make.

Ditto Huff!

Rick

what makes everyone think that they would go into the sunbelt.  our luck, they will go into a better conference from the start than us. 

gmg!!!

not likely, their athletic facilities and their football attendance figures (during the season) dont really compare to ours. Outside of a marginally competitve baseball team, what do they have to offer that we dont? If Texas State was D1A, Barrick Nealy never would have transferred there. Lets not get down on our program because they had one great football year.

Having said that, I wish them well.  I would welcome them to the Sun Belt.  It would give us nine football playing schools and make for 4 home and 4 road games each year in conference play.    I enjoyed playing them in our Southland Conference days.  It is a nice road trip that lots of our fans could make.

You bet! I enjoyed those games, too. I can't wait - heavy tailgating all day and then partying on sixth street in Austin after the game! biggrin.gif

Guest GrayEagleOne

You know, if all of the rumors come to pass, by 2010 the Sun Belt could consist of 12 teams, most of them pretty salty.

The addition of Texas State, Western Kentucky, Appalachian State and Georgia Southern (all of whom have dropped a hint about moving up) would make a better conference than we have now. With three recent 1-AA national champions and a finalist, that would add a lot of pizzaz to the SBC; at least in football.

There is, never has, and never will be any pizzazz when it comes to THE BELT!!!

There is nothing salty about those teams...the only thing salty about anything is we get our Football Program back on track, get competitive quickly in Baseball, and build that frickin stadium and leave the BELT behind.

There is, never has, and never will be any pizzazz when it comes to THE BELT!!!

There is nothing salty about those teams...the only thing salty about anything is we get our Football Program back on track, get competitive quickly in Baseball, and build that frickin stadium and leave the BELT behind.

Dito

Arkstfan, I remember that 1AA finalist team you guys had. They came to Denton and kicked the snot our of us. If I remember right they were a no huddle wishbone offense. I think the turning point in that game was when your team made it to the bus for the trip to Denton.

Let's see if my old memory is still intact. Wasn't Larry Lacewell the coach then? Did you guys lose to George Southern at their place in the finals? That has been a day or two ago so my memory may have clouded over, but I still remember that as a darned good football team.

Arkstfan, I remember that 1AA finalist team you guys had.  They came to Denton and kicked the snot our of us.  If I remember right they were a no huddle wishbone offense.  I think the turning point in that game was when your team made it to the bus for the trip to Denton. 

Let's see if my old memory is still intact.    Wasn't Larry Lacewell the coach then?  Did you guys lose to George Southern at their place in the finals?      That has been a day or two ago so my memory may have clouded over, but I still remember that as a darned good football team.

As I recall that game was played in the Tacoma Dome for the 1-AA NC. Tracy Hamm was awesome and we were runners-up to the NC. Lacewell was the coach and it was a very good team.