DRC full article on Ramone Archie

OldTimer

Football: Dickey adds Archie to UNT staff

08:40 AM CDT on Tuesday, April 4, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas coach Darrell Dickey brought back one of his old running backs as his new running backs coach on Monday.

Ramone Archie played for Dickey for two years from 1998-1999 and made a big enough impression on his former head coach to be invited back as a member of the staff.

“For me, it’s a perfect fit,” Dickey said. “Ramone is a young man who played two years in our system, stayed right in Denton and did a nice job coaching at Ryan. What sealed it for me was my visit with [Ryan head coach] Joey Florence, who told me about the way Ramone looked after his players and was involved in the same things I want my coaches involved with. Ramon got involved in academics and kids’ lives.”

Archie got his start in coaching at McNabb Middle School and then spent four years at Ryan as the Raiders defensive backs coach before deciding to try coaching in the college ranks.

Archie takes over for longtime UNT assistant Bruce Bell, who retired in February.

“The way we did things at Ryan will influence the way I coach at UNT,” Archie said. “We were really involved at Ryan. We coached football and loved it, but we have to be interested in the kids as well.”

Archie will bring his personal approach to one of the more high profile assistant coaching jobs at UNT. The Mean Green have built a reputation as a solid running team with a host of standout running backs. UNT produced a pair of national rushing champions in Patrick Cobbs and Jamario Thomas the last three years.

Thomas will be a junior next season and is looking to regain his form after an injury plagued sophomore season.

Archie started out as a running back at UNT before moving to safety and has an extensive knowledge of the running game dating back to his days as a running back both in high school and junior college.

“I am very excited to coach a player like Jamario,” Archie said. “When we get him healthy we will be back into the hunt for the conference title. North Texas is not far away from where it was when it won four in a row. Last year they lost a lot of games that could have gone either way.”

UNT is hoping Archie can give the team a boost in recruiting in addition to helping maintain its running game.

Archie has developed contacts in the high school ranks not only in Denton, but throughout the area as well while working at Ryan, one of the state’s top high school programs the past few seasons.

“Ramone will be a great recruiter whether it is here or anywhere in the state,” Florence said. “He has a good relationship with a lot of high school coaches and a knowledge of the area.”

Dickey said he was confident in Archie’s ability in large part because of the time he spent coaching him at UNT.

“The things I look for in a player, is what Ramone was when he was here,” Dickey said. “He took care of his businesses academically, moved from running back to safety because that is what we needed, played hurt, played hard and played well.”

Archie was more than happy to make another move for Dickey by leaving Ryan to rejoin the Mean Green.

“It’s a great honor to come back to the school you graduated from and give back,” Archie said. “I owe a lot to coach Dickey and the school. I got a great education and started a successful career.”

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com .

Job Title:

Math Teacher (Special Education)

Education:

(or experience)

Bachelor of Arts, University of North Texas, Denton, TX (August 2000)

Special Education K-12

Background:

I come to Denton, Texas via Dayton, Ohio and Los Angeles, California. I attended Belmont High School in Los Angeles and graduated in 1994. I began my education in Glendale, California where I attended Glendale Community College in 1995. I then received an athletic scholarship to the University of North Texas in 1997. I played football for three years and graduated in 2000 with a B.A. degree in History. After graduation I began working at McMath Middle School here in Denton as an Inclusion and Resource teacher. After two years at McMath moved on to Ryan High School where I teach Resource Math and coach JV and Varsity football.

Philosophy of Education:

“With great power comes great responsibility” Ben Parker

Accomplishments or Personal Information –

Hobbies, Family info, etc.

I have three beautiful children, Ethan Ramone Archie who is 3 years old, Victoria Denise Archie and Tristan Antjuan Archie whom are my 2 year old twins.

During my last semester at the University of North Texas I made the Presidents list with a Perfect 4.0 grade point average.

I was a two time All-Conference player at the University of North Texas where I played Safety on the football team.

Rocky is my favorite movie.

Spider-Man is the greatest super hero of all time!

My family did win $10,000 on the game show “Family Feud” in 2000.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Congratulations to Ramone Archie! It is a big opportunity. He has done some good things to earn it. I hope he has a lot of success. No doubt he will find that coaching at the college level presents some unique challenges. When that happens, may he always keep looking ahead!