Look Familiar ?

MeanGreen61

The main problem with this league is that nobody seems to really want to be here and with that attitude we will never amount to much. It takes years to build a great league. If these league shakeups continue it will only get worse. If all we are is a holding spot while we all look for a better deal maybe we should not complain about how bad the league is.

Look familiar ? Think this is from a Sun Belt board ? Nope, it's from a post by TopCoog on the CUSA board. Guess no matter where you are, some want to be somewhere else.

It is just the food chain, if a team is not constantly looking to improve its standing what are they doing. C-USA is just a step along the way. With the final stop in a conference that gives your team a solid shot at being in the top 25 and maybe a National Championship.

The only problem with that is that the BCS conferences are pretty much set. There is a "rumor" that The Big Conference my go to 12, adding 1 team. The making of the major conferences is pretty much over. Pac-10, B12, BE, ACC, SEC are pretty much set and The Big Conference MIGHT look for one more addition. These are the conferences that will play for a football national championship every year.

Joining one of those conferences: that ship has sailed.

Everyone else (WAC, CUSA, Sun Belt, et al) will have to settle for second best...till the NCAA realizes how unbalanced the system is.

The only problem with that is that the BCS conferences are pretty much set. There is a "rumor" that The Big Conference my go to 12, adding 1 team. The making of the major conferences is pretty much over. Pac-10, B12, BE, ACC, SEC are pretty much set and The Big Conference MIGHT look for one more addition. These are the conferences that will play for a football national championship every year.

Joining one of those conferences: that ship has sailed.

Everyone else (WAC, CUSA, Sun Belt, et al) will have to settle for second best...till the NCAA realizes how unbalanced the system is.

I hope by the time we are even close to trying for such a spot, things will change here and there. I think there are some teams like Baylor if they slip far enough may fall out. But it still is my hope, probably not in my lifetime.

I hope by the time we are even close to trying for such a spot, things will change here and there. I think there are some teams like Baylor if they slip far enough may fall out. But it still is my hope, probably not in my lifetime.

Don't count on that.

Normally the reason a team leaves a conference is because they petition another conference for membership (i.e. the Big East/ACC/CUSA shuffle a year or two ago). While it has probably happened before, I suspect it is very rare for a conference to drop a team because of not being competitive.

Temple was dropped by Big East (I think) a few years ago for not fielding competitive teams. Name another school that this happened to?

I can’t.

Don't count on that.

Normally the reason a team leaves a conference is because they petition another conference for membership (i.e. the Big East/ACC/CUSA shuffle a year or two ago). While it has probably happened before, I suspect it is very rare for a conference to drop a team because of not being competitive.

Temple was dropped by Big East (I think) a few years ago for not fielding competitive teams. Name another school that this happened to?

I can’t.

---SMU, Rice, TCU, and Houston. .....in an odd sort of way they were kicked out of the conference by Tx-Tech, A&M, Texas, and Baylor. (Arkansas had left earlier) The smaller ones were not very competitive with the other four any more and the attendence provided by those was poor so the larger four felt they were underwriting these programs as well. Some of those abandoned also had a severe cheating image problem. It was basicly a divorce and the second group just said, "You keep the house". --- which the remaining ones then declared worthless and abandoned it also.

---It always seemed like the smarter thing to have done at the time was maintain the SWC and attempt to add North Texas and UTEP, and pick from LaTech, LLU, Tulsa, and NMSU as new members. Didn't happen but should have I think. As a result this group has bounced from conference to conference and now are pretty much together again without TCU, plus North Texas, the largest of these universities who had the potential to eventually draw large crowds, has been left out.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

---SMU, Rice, TCU,  and Houston.  .....in an odd sort of way they were kicked out of the conference by Tx-Tech, A&M, Texas, and Baylor.

Not the same think. The SWC was just about dead at that time. That was a merger (move) to create a super conference comparable to the SEC. Tech, A&M, Texas and Baylor did not "kick" the others out of the conference. They left the SWC to form the B12.

Not the same think. The SWC was just about dead at that time. That was a merger (move) to create a super conference comparable to the SEC. Tech, A&M, Texas and Baylor did not "kick" the others out of the conference. They left the SWC to form the B12.

yes and Baylor snuck in to that deal because the gov of Texas wanted them there

The WAC has settled down because the teams that wanted to be in there, got there. The FSU's and Hawaii's of the world are tired of complaining. CUSA is on shaky ground because people want out. Crazy how the WAC has become the second most stable conference maybe third one out there.

MWC

WAC or MAC

SBC - no where to go

CUSA - several unhappy members - the new WAC

GMG

yes and Baylor snuck in to that deal because the gov of Texas wanted them there

Maybe ----- but they were also the largest of the remaining schools and had the best attendence..... plus the others of the group may have wanted at least one team they could depend on defeating.

If the Big-XII was wanting a sixth team for the southern half, who else would have made sense?? TCU..??. which is half the size of Baylor.... and has a much smaller religious group somewhat supporting them. Also Waco supports Baylor much better than Ft.Worth supports TCU. Houston hadn't been getting much fan support either even in good years. Rice is tiny and SMU has a very poor cheater image and little support now that they can't pay players..