great qoute from an aTm recruit

bigrobdsp

They take care of you down there," McCoy said. "I know from my brother they keep your pockets full, give you plenty of money, keep feeding you meals. Besides that all the help they give you with football. They keep you on your grades with private tutoring. Just good all-around

They take care of you down there," McCoy said. "I know from my brother they keep your pockets full, give you plenty of money, keep feeding you meals. Besides that all the help they give you with football. They keep you on your grades with private tutoring. Just good all-around

Keep your pockets full??? blink.gifblink.gifhuh.gif

Give you plenty of money??? huh.gifohmy.gif

Is this from a newspaper, or what? Just posting some quote with no source or anything means nothing.

Doesn't surprise me at all.  The NCAA is hopefully preparing an investigation for this right now.  Fran will have the aggies in the probation toilet soon enough.  The BCS power schools are plain sickening.  No telling what all they get away with?

Rick

There was a great article in the San Antonio Express News on Wednesday Feb 1. Thomas Lotts was recruited in 1975 and told about all the recruiting trips he had but it got old after awhile. Barry Swither who recruited him slept in the living room crouch near the phone in Lotts home so no other school could come in an recruit him.

Things have changed in three decades however there will still be some improprieties(SP) in recruting.

Edited by Danish42

Is this from a newspaper, or what? Just posting some quote with no source or anything means nothing.

It was in the Thursday "Midland Reporter Telegram" (Newspaper) for the whole world to read. The website is operated by that newspaper.

If nothing else (true or not) the player is a total idiot. [note: don't recruit idiots even if they are "talented", recruit smart kids with character ]

I am in Midland but on Midland High side of town.....

???? What happened the post I put up yesterday, objection to the word idiot ???

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

It was in the Thursday Midland Reporter Telegram (Newspaper) for the whole world to read.  The website is operated by that newspaper.

If nothing else (true or not) the player is a total idiot. [note; don't recruit idiots even if they are "talented"]

I am in Midland but on Midland  High side of town.....

LINK

I think this is hilarious. Pure stupidity. If its true, A&M deserves anything they get. I love all the aggies that commented on that article- so typical. What a tough year for the aggies... Seattle getting all the pub for the 12th man thing, 5-6 season with no bowl game, then UT wins the national championship to top it off. Im not sure what the definition of "rock-bottom" is, but it seems that this latest "gem" could quickly put them there.

Please don't take this post as defending A$M, but it is possible the guy misspoke. It's possible he meant, "they make sure you get a good job to ensure you have money in your pocket."

If this gets any press at all, that will be the spin from A&M.

Whether or not this is what he meant it is a very poor choice of words.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!

Please don't take this post as defending A$M, but it is possible the guy misspoke.  It's possible he meant,  "they make sure you get a good job to ensure you have money in your pocket." 

If this gets any press at all, that will be the spin from A&M. 

Whether or not this is what he meant it is a very poor choice of words. 

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!

I do not think players can work during the school year no matter how small the job is or the pay, they can work in the summer obviously.

Doesn't surprise me at all.  The NCAA is hopefully preparing an investigation for this right now.  Fran will have the aggies in the probation toilet soon enough.  The BCS power schools are plain sickening.  No telling what all they get away with?

Rick

Rick, I agree with this, but don't for a second think our house has always been clean.

Only an idiot would think there is anything to this.  Ask the UNT players how much money they get each month.  Ask the ULALA players.  Ask any D1 player. Why ask them all?  Because they LEGALLY get money each month.  It is called a stipend. 

I guess it would suck to have the facts ruin a good witch hunt.

I saw this theory on TXAGS.com. but why would he be bragging about the money that they gave him if it was the same amount as everyone gets? ph34r.gif

Only an idiot would think there is anything to this.  Ask the UNT players how much money they get each month.  Ask the ULALA players.  Ask any D1 player. Why ask them all?  Because they LEGALLY get money each month.  It is called a stipend. 

Yeah the stipend comes in pace of their housing if they live off-campus, otherwise I do not believe they get another stipend.

Living on campus they get room and board, off it is the stipend for rent.

Rick, I agree with this, but don't for a second think our house has always been clean.

Sure, there has been brushes with the local law. But I don't recall hearing anyone getting paid at North Texas or recall us EVER being on probation for inapropriate actions. Gee I wonder much someone would have paid for TJ "Leon don't tackle" Covington, a nickel? A wooden nickel?

Rick

I was thinking as recently as Baylor, Colorado, or Alabama who is towards the end of it's probation now.  I'm sure there are others?

Rick

Yes. I was thinking of both Baylor and Colorado--neither of whom I would lump in with BCS power schools--maybe Colorado, but that's just my opinion.

Kansas, Texas State, Stanford, Florida A&M... sad.gif

Look at the quote. He's not talking stipend. He specifically makes mention of how aTm takes care of people, not how college athletes are taken care of in general.

Is it really such a surprise to anyone that players at schools with more money than the GDP of Saudi Arabia get paid to sway their commitments? If so, I hope you never find out the nasty secret about Santa Claus.