New Recruits

buff64

Three defensive linemen to UNT

North Texas had a strong weekend for its defensive line, picking up commitments from defensive tackles Matt Menard (6-5, 275) of Spring Westfield and Esteban Santiago (6-3, 283) of El Paso Coronado and defensive end Marquis Sykes (6-3, 253) of Coppell.

"They had a bad season last year, but I feel like we can make it back to where it was pretty quickly," Sykes said

Wasn't Santiago being recruited by Missouri?  It'd be nice to grab a kid that they wanted. 

Nice to see someone that's 6'5" as well.

Santiago was looking at Mizzu and I believe that he originally verballed to NMST.

You're right about the size of these guys, they all frames that should be able to easily put on more weight.

Hopefully we'll start to here some more reports coming in. I suspect a MGR in the near future.

Edited by H-towngreen

That brings us to 3 D linemen ane 2-3 O linemen.

I say 2-3 O linemen because of the tight end Brian Carlson that was brought in. I think that there is a chance that he may end up on the O-line before all said and done. He is 6-5 and last I saw he was 275. Alot of schools are moving oversized TE to the line as they are more athletic than most linemen.

Here's the latest rivals including the 3 new recruits.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/commitlist.asp...2006&School=163

Estaban Santiago

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.a...=1&pr_key=47437

Marquis Sykes

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.a...=1&pr_key=47438

Matt Menard

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.a...=1&pr_key=47436

Not much on any of the three

Our recruit class ranking thus far with Rivals is #101

http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?Y...5&Type=0&Sort=0

Edited by MeanGreen61

Rivals just put them up all as 2* and 5.1 ratings. Sykes is a DE the other 2 are DT. Does anyone have the 40 for Sykes I couldn't find it anywhere?

DC's Texas Football listed Sykes 40 time as 4.8, but they also listed his weight at 220.

I read that Santiago was Honorable Mention All-State as an OL.

Seems like almost everyone we sign is a 2*.   Is it that we're recruiting better players?  Or has the program gotten to a point that Rivals assumes they're at least a 2* if they sign with us?

Litterally 99.9 percent of the recruits that sign with a div-I school will be listed as a 2* recruit on rivals. They don't list any kids as 1 star players. Kind of a way not to hurt people's feelings I anticipate. Make no mistake, these kids that we're signing are most of the time considered barely Div-I material. That's not to say that these kids don't pan out as good players...but just coming out of high school...they're not highly regarded.

Notice I didn't say all players that North Texas signs aren't highly regarded...just most.

Edited by TicketJohn

I checked the 5A AP All State team and could not find Santiago listed.

HONORABLE MENTION

OFFENSE

Linemen: Robert Ramirez, Galena Park North Shore; Corey Smithers, Copperas Cove; Rey Quintanilla, San Benito; Dimitri Lott, Marshall; Adrian Archie, Huntsville; Michael Sanchez, Sharyland; Kegan Carey, Abilene; Juan Martinez, Copperas Cove; Buddy Brumit, Garland; Bryan Ferris, Katy; Drew Chasney, Mesquite; Raymon Chinyoung, Spring Westfield; Jacob Posey, Hays; Kevin Winters, Jay; Roger Cantu, McAllen Memorial; Marcus Cannon, Odessa; Sean Trotter, Odessa Permian; Charlton Messer, Dallas Jesuit; Esteban Santiago, EP Coronado.

Honorable mention on Offensive line, not D Line, where he is slated to play for NT.

Still not a bad signee.

Glad to see us sign some local kids, if Sykes did sign.  I find it funny that the FWST shows that we signed him, even quoted him, yet Vito says nothing about him.

Speaking from experience, on recruiting, you don't report commitments unless you hear it from the kid's mouth. Vito probably could not get a hold of Sykes. AS a reporter, you'd rather leave a story incomplete than report incomplete information.

FFR, I guess the greatness of this post was lost on many board members.  Maybe we should all dress in black for the games.

No, I got it...that's just not my thing. Hopefully the kid has more to offer than his pickin' ability, though! cool.gif