DMN Women's soccer coach signs 3 yr extension

OldTimer

Women's soccer coach signs three-year extension

11:37 PM CST on Tuesday, January 10, 2006

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – Women's soccer coach John Hedlund has signed a three-year contract extension, he said Tuesday.

Terms of the contract were not available.

Hedlund led the Mean Green to 16 wins, the Sun Belt Conference tournament title and an automatic NCAA tournament bid in each of the last two seasons. He was the Sun Belt coach of the year in 2005 after sharing the honor in 2004.

It would be nice to get past the first round, but getting to the Tournament 2 years in a row, can only help the program. To girls playing soccer, it's got to be a lot more attractive to go to a school that consistantly gets you to that point. Plus maybe our school can get a little name recognition because of it.

Way to go Lady's!

GMG!!!

this is great news.  Hopefully this will only help recruiting...it can only makes it easier when you know the coach is going to be there for a while and the progress the team has been making

Along with the new facilities, I would expect some very nice recruiting classes in the next few years considering the wealth of talent in the Metroplex area.

Along with the new facilities, I would expect some very nice recruiting classes in the next few years considering the wealth of talent in the Metroplex area.

Why don't the football coach and Men's & Women's Basketball Coach take advantage of this situation as well. The Metroplex is one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the Country in all three sports.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you answered your own question. It is the ability to "RECRUIT."

Some coaches have the ability to "SELL" our program "BETTER" than others.

Coach Hedlund has the CAN DO ability!!

DD, IMHO, does not have that same sales ability and has reached the APEX of his head coaching career at UNT with a less than stellar ability to prove that he and his staff can recruit.

JJ, IMHO, in his first stint as a head coach, is recruiting well and I think we are on the cusp of some some runs at the NCAA tournament in BB.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The new assistant coach's name is Jim.  He has been an assistant coach here at UNT (years ago, but under Hedlund), at UNLV, at TCU, and head coach at Nichols State.

Great, thanks for the info. Got a last name? Has he been officially hired yet, or just yet to be announced? Hope they will update the webpage....

Guest GrayEagleOne

I'd guess that all of this is true. If you go to their soccer board, the banner reads Jim Zakel, head soccer coach. But if you click on coaches, it shows Cindy Piper as the head coach. Ergo, the new assistant coach is Jim Zakel.

I'd guess that all of this is true.  If you go to their soccer board, the banner reads Jim Zakel, head soccer coach.  But if you click on coaches, it shows Cindy Piper as the head coach.  Ergo, the new assistant coach is Jim Zakel.

What soccer board are you referring to? I don't know who Cindy Piper is but she's not currently coaching any soccer at UNT. John Hedlund is head coach, Jim and Kevin Smith are assistants (but Kevin only coaches in the fall). On the Mean Green Sports.com webpage it lists only John and Kevin, I guess it hasn't been updated since after Michelle left. Michelle used to be listed but they did take her down, they just haven't added Jim yet.

I'd guess that all of this is true.  If you go to their soccer board, the banner reads Jim Zakel, head soccer coach.  But if you click on coaches, it shows Cindy Piper as the head coach.  Ergo, the new assistant coach is Jim Zakel.

I believe Piper had left sometime after season, believe I saw where she went to another school. Maybe Zakel tooka long look at that program and decided this was a great opp as compared to the reality of that program.

What soccer board are you referring to?  I don't know who Cindy Piper is but she's not currently coaching any soccer at UNT.  John Hedlund is head coach, Jim and Kevin Smith are assistants (but Kevin only coaches in the fall).  On the Mean Green Sports.com webpage it lists only John and Kevin, I guess it hasn't been updated since after Michelle left.  Michelle used to be listed but they did take her down, they just haven't added Jim yet.

He is referrring to Nichols State website. Piper was there, believe she left after season was finished. Not sure is Zakel was actuallypromoted to HC or not.