Fla. Atlantic vs. La-La

buff64

Did anyone else catch the Fla. Atlantic- La. La. game last night ? Both very young, La. QB impressive looking freshman. They took an early lead and it seemed as if the game would be a blow out, however Fla. came back strong and won going away. Eleven of Fla. two deep defensive players are freshman including the whole def. line.

Did anyone else catch the Fla. Atlantic- La. La. game last night ? Both very young, La. QB impressive looking freshman. They took an early lead and it seemed as if the game would be a blow out, however Fla. came back strong and won going away. Eleven of Fla. two deep defensive players are freshman including the whole def. line.

The non BCS FLA. schools continue to amaze me with how fast they can build a football program. For damn sure no 5 year plans with those schools. They get after it almost after they cut the ribbons to debut their new football programs. Will that loss by UL turn out to be UL Coach Bustle's Waterloo?

Even USF went from no football program, to one that was accepted into CUSA and then soon after taht, the Big "freakin' East. ohmy.gif

We saw what a "senior-laden" (and that because of transfers who became immediately elgible from 1-AA to a transitional 1-A FAU school with I'm sure Coach Howie probably did some behind the scenes recruiting with some of that group); yet, with all those seniors, look what FAU did to us last year and at our house. sad.gif

The SBC is catching up with us and NT better not go into the old "North Texas 2 step" mode of lip-servicing our future, but rather proceed with solid Eagle Point Campus construction plans because if we lolly-gag around in Mean Green Country and keep doing what we've been doing, others will proceed to move ahead of us which will mean we will be living on the past history of 4 bowl games yet be going backwards AND that at even a Sun Belt Conference level.

After Tulsa, everyone still ready to jump in bed with CUSA? If so, we all need to get our check books out for first time MG Club contributions and some of us will need to up our present MG Club committments.

I still cannot believe a 2003 "down" UH Cougar football team beat the Golden Hurricane last week. Of course, in the non BCS that seems to happen from one year to the next because we thought we'd be able to handle the Tulsa (of last season) with our team (based on last season) except things have sorta' flip-flopped for both I think most would agree? blink.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

If I remember correctly Fla. Atlantic had 46 seniors on last years squad.  Not a bad recovery for basically a team starting over this year.

Which begs the question if FAU can do it in their 2nd year of 1-A, why the HELL!!! can't we do the same thing with our young guys??

The excuses for us never end. rolleyes.gif

I will agree that we are young and it is going to take some time, but couldn't we have done a little more planning. Could we have not gone out and picked up a Junior College player for the QB position when we knew there might be a chance that we would be lacking in that department? 4 straight bowl games and we can't recruit a better QB than we have now?

Just curious, but when James Battle wanted to leave TCU, why didn't we go after him hard? I know, the excuse was "well he doesn't have to sit out a year at SFA" but heck, he might as well, as he has yet to play down there.

Just curious, but when James Battle wanted to leave TCU, why didn't we go after him hard?  I know, the excuse was "well he doesn't have to sit out a year at SFA" but heck, he might as well, as he has yet to play down there.

Maybe the last 8 words of your quote above provide the answer.

Unless a Juco QB is an exceptional talent, I don't favor bringing one in. More than likely they will come from a different offensive system than NT, and so (IMHO) their learning curve would be about the same as a QB coming out of HS.

I've said this before. I think that a QB coming out of a 4-A or 5-A HS that went into the playoffs (like Phillips) is as good (if not better) a prospect as just about any Juco QB.

Unless a Juco QB is an exceptional talent, I don't favor bringing one in. More than likely they will come from a different offensive system than NT, and so (IMHO) their learning curve would be about the same as a QB coming out of HS.

I've said this before. I think that a QB coming out of a 4-A or 5-A HS that went into the playoffs (like Phillips) is as good (if not better) a prospect as just about any Juco QB.

I would say it depends on the conference the JC is in AND if you plan on having to play the Freshman. In a case where you need to play the Freshman and have no experience I would rather go with a JC

So, we have the #117 ranked offense just because our senior QB graduated? huh.gif I don't buy into just that excuse; QB is a mess right now, but so is discipline and leadership and players not making plays, and coaches not making adjustments, etc! dry.gif

Edited by NT80

It is their FIRST win (1-5) and it is against a 1-win team that lost their starting QB last week.

And it showed. We became very one-dimensional. With no passing game they were able to stack the line and take our running game away. That led to time of possession issues and a worn out defense in the 4th qtr. Not many happy campers in Cajun land right now. Kind of like tuesday night if you get my drift.

We tried pretty hard to do just that...the kid's name is Zac Taylor and he's the quarterback at Nebraska right now.

and he's been doing pretty well for them... he would have been a hell of a pick up for us.

For what its worth, our recievers could stand to take something for the dropsies bug that seemed to be going around tuesday night. I think Meager might be OK once he calms down and gets comfortable in the pocket (which will never happen if the O-line doesnt give him some time). Alot of his passes were overthrown, which probably had alot to do with being overly excited.

And it showed.  We became very one-dimensional.  With no passing game they were able to stack the line and take our running game away.  That led to time of possession issues and a worn out defense in the 4th qtr.  Not many happy campers in Cajun land right now.  Kind of like tuesday night if you get my drift.

yeah, it DID sound familiar...