MTSU Better Team?

GrandGreen

Reading the Muts’ board it is almost unanimous that the Muts have the better team but beat themselves. I have seen similar comments on this board about NT’s luck in beating the Raiders.

I interpret that to mean that they think they have the most talent, I can’t believe even in their emotional delusion they believe they have the better team. Discounting the facts that it was a home game for them and they had the benefit of having played a game, North Texas was the superior team. Whether you erroneously think turnovers are gifts, or that turnovers are earned; the fact is that a team that turns the ball over five times to their opponents 0 did not have a good team performance.

As for as the Muts having superior talent, the only place I’ve seen that supported is in the mythical recruiting battles in February. A fact is that a significant number of their recruits never see the field because of eligibility issues. The win/lost records as well as the all conference selection indicate that NT’s talent has been superior.

Is the Muts talent superior this year? Imo it is too early to tell, but their much more experienced team did not beat a very “green” mean green team. Their lauded senior Littlejohn had an excellent game playing primarily across a freshman center in his first game. They won the war of the trenches particularly in the first half. They also had some good performances from their skill players like Gross at running back. NT’s offensive performance was good enough to win and with a new quarterback not that bad. The NT defense was exceptional when you consider that there were 8 new starters.

In summary, who is the best team is clear; they have won five years in a roll. As for who has the best talent, lets made that decision further into the season when a better basis for comparison exits.

The Muts SHOULD be have been the better team. 18 returning starters from Rivals recruit classes that have been ranked at the top of the conference.

Going against a UNT team with 10 players starting their first game, R/S freshman QB's first game and virtually an all new defense.

With the Muts performance of 5 turnovers, they certainly WERE NOT the best team on Saturday night. The green youngsters topped the grizzled vets rolleyes.gif

We don't have the BETTER team. We have the more talented team and Andy can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory 90% of the time.

Your team certainly didn't prove they were talented last night. Talent translates into results. You can claim to have the more talented team, but you sure haven't PROVED IT rolleyes.gif

We don't have the BETTER team. We have the more talented team and Andy can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory 90% of the time.

I would say you guys have more talented DT's without a doubt. MTSU having more talent across the board is questionable.

Edited by Got5onIt

Your team certainly didn't prove they were  talented last night. Talent translates into results. You can claim to have the more talented team, but you sure haven't PROVED IT rolleyes.gif

The only logical response we can give here is to say, "You're right. Thanks for the game." The rest of this (both on your side and ours) is all horse hockey and we know it even as we are saying it.

Thanks for the game. You played well enough to win. We did not. The scoreboard does not lie. Next year DD can have the title of senior Sun Belt coach all to himself and hopefully we'll give you a good game at your place. Until then . . .

Thanks for the game.  You played well enough to win.  We did not.  The scoreboard does not lie.  Next year DD can have the title of senior Sun Belt coach all to himself and hopefully we'll give you a good game at your place.  Until then . . .

...until then beat the crap outta Akron and we'll put it all out on the field for Tulsa. Feel free to take some other OOC games, too. tongue.gif

theburro: You just don't get it do you. Let me make this clear. Gross IS NOT BETTER than Cobbs or Thomas. If you think he is, you are far dumber than everyone thinks. Cobbs had 195 all-purpose yards last night. Thomas averaged 5.8 yards per carry. If you asked 200 writers, scouts, college coaches, etc... who was the best of the 3, Gross would get 200 3rd place votes.

MUTS turned the ball over 5 times. That does not mean that you gave us the ballgame, it means that your players played poorly and made bad decisions last night. Andy Mac did not throw those picks or fumble those balls so don't blame him. You running back needs to learn how to take a handoff. Weathers made a great play on the first pick and Holman made an amazing return on the 2nd pick. The 3rd pick was due to pressure from our D-line. All I hear from the MUTS board is how you guys beaat yourselves and NT did not win the game. How bad it feels to lose another game in the rivalry. Don't you have to win at least one game to make it a rivalry?

GMG!!!

Beat Tulsa!!!

The Muts SHOULD be have been the better team. 18 returning starters from Rivals recruit classes that have been ranked at the top of the conference.

Going against a UNT team with 10 players starting their first game, R/S freshman QB's first game and virtually an all new defense.

With the Muts performance of 5 turnovers, they certainly WERE NOT the best team on Saturday night. The green youngsters topped the grizzled vets rolleyes.gif

Rivals.com in their star system of rating high school football talent just cannot seem to gauge heart, desire and those who will ultimately make it in D1-A football or those who will only be pretenders.

Said this before, but here in the Lone Star State we have close to 160,000 who are our Friday Night Heros and there is no recruiting service capable of knowing how many of that group will or will not make it in D1-A.

I know Rivals and other services do a fine service and we all check out what they have to say, but they seem to rarely have a clue as to who Darrell Dickey and his staff are recruiting that annually beats their multi-starred "sure bet" talents at other SBC locales and beyond.

The game is still played on the football field and not the recruiting gurus computer data bases.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

theburro: You just don't get it do you. Let me make this clear. Gross IS NOT BETTER than Cobbs or Thomas. If you think he is, you are far dumber than everyone thinks. Cobbs had 195 all-purpose yards last night. Thomas averaged 5.8 yards per carry. If you asked 200 writers, scouts, college coaches, etc... who was the best of the 3, Gross would get 200 3rd place votes.

MUTS turned the ball over 5 times. That does not mean that you gave us the ballgame, it means that your players played poorly and made bad decisions last night. Andy Mac did not throw those picks or fumble those balls so don't blame him. You running back needs to learn how to take a handoff. Weathers made a great play on the first pick and Holman made an amazing return on the 2nd pick. The 3rd pick was due to pressure from our D-line. All I hear from the MUTS board is how you guys beaat yourselves and NT did not win the game. How bad it feels to lose another game in the rivalry. Don't you have to win at least one game to make it a rivalry?

GMG!!!

Beat Tulsa!!!

MeanGreen61 said that talent produces results.

I was just going by that logic.

Gross had more yards than Cobbs and Thomas and almost as many as the two combined.

Either way from a defensive standpoint I'm pleased with last night's results.

We either

A) have a bada$$ defense or

cool.gif JT and PC are overrated posers.

I can live with either one.

Anyway, beat Tulsa next week. Good luck the rest of the year.

MeanGreen61 said that talent produces results.

I was just going by that logic.

Gross had more yards than Cobbs and Thomas and almost as many as the two combined.

Either way from a defensive standpoint I'm pleased with last night's results.

We either

A) have a bada$$ defense or

cool.gif JT and PC are overrated posers.

I can live with either one.

Anyway, beat Tulsa next week. Good luck the rest of the year.

Seriously..........I think it is a bit of A) That game against 'bama was no fluke. You guys played them very well. It will be obvious to you soon that maybe your team is pretty good and maybe losing to us is not too shameful afterall.

Yeah, in fact, I seem to recall them grinding it out against 8, 9, and eventually 10 men in the box.

Ahhh. The fumble was Marks fault. He had a horrible game, I just hope he can regroup. Because our best other option at QB is Joe Craddock and alas he's out for the season with an ACL.

You guys have a good, tough, hard-nosed, well coached football team. Good luck the rest of the way.

Lets see...I remember PC & JT ripping up 5 minutes of clock in the 4th on one drive when it was real nutt cuttin time, when MTS seriously needed a stop.

I remember us missing 2 fg's and having a third called off ...so if you really want to play the if's and butts game, NT beat Muts 23 - 13.

I love how the D played. Yes they made some mistakes, but man they were flying to the ball and were hitting hard. They along with the O will only get better.

I think everyone knew that once we took the lead...it was church. The 4th Q was textbook Dickey, give that man any lead and he is going to eat clock and pound the ball. It is almost becoming a broken record with MUTS...NT always wins the game in the 4th, credit that to our conditioning, confidence and desire.

The commentator put it best...NT expects to win...Muts hopes to win.

I am thrilled to think that this team grew up in one game, when it usually takes 4. This is going to be a fun season.

26 straight