106 Arkansas State

113 Middle Tennessee

114 UL-Monroe

3 Year Analysis - Total D-1A Wins

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2005/Pr..._Attendance.htm

3 Year Analysis - Quality Wins

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2005/Pr...QualityWins.htm

Edited by MeanGreen61

check out that race for the #106 spot! Who's it gonna be? Ark State? Central Michigan? Wyoming? Who will claim the coveted spot this year? Im on the edge of my seat! laugh.gif

For a 4 time conference championship team I'd say thats a sorry attendance score. Especially since our students dont even HAVE to pay! However doesnt some of the blame for the dismal numbers fall on shoulders of the university in failing to market their product in an EFFECTIVE manner? Or for them not being able to get any teams that anyone cares about here during the preseason (or as other schools call them "non conf games")?

Edited by Eagle1855

check out that race for the #106 spot! Who's it gonna be? Ark State? Central Michigan? Wyoming? Who will claim the coveted spot this year? Im on the edge of my seat!  laugh.gif

For a 4 time conference championship team I'd say thats a sorry attendance score. Especially since our students dont even HAVE to pay! However doesnt some of the blame for the dismal numbers fall on shoulders of the university in failing to market their product in an EFFECTIVE manner? Or for them not being able to get any teams that anyone cares about here during the preseason (or as other schools call them "non conf games")?

Yes, I'd agree that the marketing has been abysmal. However, that trend has been changing for the better. And for the non conf home games, when you consider that just a few years ago we had 1AA games regularly as our OOC home games, Tulsa and SMU as home games are light years better.

Let's hope that trend continues.

To me, the athletic department should only have to "market" the football team to the alumni and the general public.

The students shouldn't need to be marketed to. However, IMHO the organization to do that SHOULD be the TALONS. The Talons should have several loud and visable "spontaneous" events during the week of all home games. They really should have them during the week of every game, but for now I would settle for home games.

Edited by SilverEagle

Got to agree that we need quality wins to advance our football program. This may be the year that we get at least two and possibly three wins in our OOC schedule.

Since 2000 our OOC record is:

2000 score opponents record that year

Lost to Baylor 20 - 7 (2-9)

Lost to Tx Tech 13 - 7 (7-6)

Lost to UNLV 38 - 0 (8-5)

Lost to K-State 55-10 (11-3)

Beat Samford 41-6 (4-7) **D-1AA

Lost to TCU 19-5 (6-6)

Lost to OU 37-10 (11-2)

Lost to Tx Tech 42-14 (7-5)

Beat Troy 18-16 (7-4) **D-1AA

Lost to Texas 27-0 (11-2)

Lost to Alabama 33-7 (10-3)

Lost to TCU 16-10 (10-2)

Lost to Ariz 14-9 (4-8)

Beat Nichols St. 23-0 (7-4) **D-1AA

Beat Cincinatti 24-19 (7-7) # New Orleans Bowl

Lost to OU 37-3 (12-2)

Beat Baylor 52-14 (3-9)

Lost to Air Force 34-21 (7-5)

Lost to Arkansas 31-7 (9-4)

Beat Troy 21-0 (6-6) **D-1AA

Lost to Memphis 27-17 (9-4) ##New Orleans Bowl

Lost to Texas 65-0 (11-1)

Lost to FAU 20-13 (9-3)

Lost to Colorado 52-21 (8-5)

Lost to Baylor 37-14 (3-8)

Lost to S. Miss. 31-10 (7-5) ##New Orleans Bowl

Looks like we could have won 6 more OOC games according the scores.

I see 2 or 3 OOC wins this year!!

I known that we have the OOC opponents this year to give us a chance for a few wins. Unfortunately I am not confident about our team this year. With all the question marks and young players I am not sure we can beat La Tech and Tulsa. I sure hope I am wrong on this.

Edited by HoustonEagle

I see 1 or 2.....Tulsa and I hope La. Tech.

I would take just 1 ocw if it was LSU.

One national ranking of the 3 teams:

NT............................#61

La Tech....................#91

Tulsa........................#93

If we don't beat La Tech and Tulsa something is drastically wrong somewhere blink.gif and we are in for one helluva' long season.

I think it is possible this young team starts 0 & 2, but I think toward the middle of October they would have found themselves and be running on all cylinders. Even "IF" we lost in the "Boro, I think we still win the SBC and go to our bowl because the MUTS will lose 1 or 2 they are supposed to win--but won't. smile.gif

you are correct......i copied it wrong......we lost 18-16 in 2001 to Troy

Thus sending us to the bowl game at 5-6. BTW, Troy was IA that year. They took a very unconventional approach to moving up and did the old-style 4 year transition (had to do it this way in order to raise money to build stadium/raise interest in program)... they did it that way rather then the 30K stadium and 17K in one year route like we did. We got revenge on Troy in another one of their transitional years (2003) when we beat them at home 21-0. In all, Troy had 4 transitional IA years - whereas FAU and FIU will only have two. It is not really IA, but it is defintely not IAA... it is a transitional place in between. Wins against them counted as IA wins, not the IAA exception during that time. They were not allowed to participate in any post-season play what-so-ever; which is the reason why most schools take (or shall I say took - these rules are outdated now) the faster route. For some reason, I think that they did get a nudge in the area of transferring players by going the 4 year transitional route. I think that Troy could transfer in players from other IA schools and play them immediately (kind of like IAA school) - but only for the first couple of years. In the final year, their transfer players from other IA schools had to sit out a year, just like other IA schools. They also had the ability to offer the IA limit of 85 ships during all that time so it is no wonder why Troy was able to build a thriving program that knocked off Ole Miss while still in transition and went on to knock off Marshall twice and Missouri last year. Those rules are gone now, FIU has moved up to IA and has a stadium with less then 20K seats, something that could not be done when Troy was moving up.

P.S. - don't mean to rub salt in the wounds but in 2001 we also lost to colorado State in the NO Bowl giving us a final record of 5-7...

Edited by stebo

Just to clarify.

Troy didn't do four years transition. They did two years transition but moved based on four year attendance average. Now they had made it very clear that they were moving when they started working on their attendance but they were doing it before actually filing paperwork with the NCAA declaring their intent to move. Until that document is filed you can still take I-A transfers without them having to sit out a year.

To me, the athletic department should only have to "market" the football team to the alumni and the general public.

The students shouldn't need to be marketed to. However, IMHO the organization to do that SHOULD be the TALONS. The Talons should have several loud and visable  "spontaneous" events during the week of all home games. They really should have them during the week of every game, but for now I would settle for home games.

SilverEagle,

I have to agree. This is the number one purpose for the TALONS. Support the AD. Motivate the students and take the lead in getting the students pumped-up. We can always hope. TALONS has some great people in their ranks, lets hope they will use the resources they have to make a difference.