NT gets no votes in Coaches Poll

NT80

Ok, one more more time - coaches cannot vote for their own team.  Another Sun Belt coach (I think Andy Mack has a vote as does Ricky Bustle) will probably vote for us because it makes their win/loss to us mean more for their strength of schedule - and also because what is good for North Texas is good for the Belt - which in turn is good for their schools in a roundabout way.  But I see these claims every year that Dickey is the one guy votnig for us and that is just not possible from everything that I have read.  We will see this year for sure as the votes will be made public for the first time in the history of the Coach's poll.

---If that is absolutely true then Auburn would definitely been better off with a non-voting coach. They barely missed out being one of the top two and playing for a national championship. Votes from another coach ballot would have listed them and could have put them in the top two. ---How do they handle this inequity....especially if Oklahoma or SoCal had a coach that did not vote.... which would give them about a 20+ point advantage..

but the bottom line is that the numbers that matter(attendance, bowls, polls, tv contracts, NCAA revenue, etc...)all show the Belt is the worst league in 1-A and while it may be making progress it is doing so at a glacial pace and we are not making up any ground on the other non-BCS conferences, let alone the BCS leagues.

Aren't the "numbers that matter", according to what you just said, what the Sagarin Ratings use? If not, maybe someone call tell us what it DOES use? Sagarin seems to be fairly credible, and they have us (SBC) ahead of the MAC.

---We are the newest of the eleven (11) I-A conferences. The Mountain West is fairly new but really it is a reorganized version of the old WAC. Patience, give us time.

---Quit beating us up....... we are not that much different than several other ones... We are just now having teams filled with recruits have only played in the Sunbelt. Even last year we had players (ones that were reshirted or were injured) that were recruited before the Belt existed in football. Some teams have just been added to the Belt and some did not even have a football program 10 years ago......... Some people on this board probably have their picture by the word pessimist in the dictionary.

---Let us hope several teams can win some good OCC games this year which helps us all. I find it interesting that Troy last year defeated Marshall, Missouri, and almost upset LSU but could not defeat several Belt teams........Think about it.....

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

UNT did not get any top 25 votes, because it didn't win its bowl game.

UNT didn't get any Top 25 votes because they didn't deserve them. How can anyone make an argument that they do? And don't give me the ole, "well Duke got one so why don't we?" That argument sounds like a whiny 5 year-old who complains to their parent after a sibling got a toy!!! "Well, Jimmy got a G.I. Joe with Kung Fu Grip, why didn't I get one?"

On a side note, do kids still play with G.I. Joe? If not, what a travesty!!

SouthBendGreen and several others that have his opinion could be more right on! I am glad people on this board, the minority, can understand what we are.

We are a club climbing, but we are not where the majority of you think we are yet.

Will we het there? HELL YES!

Will we get there this season? No

I think we may get there as early as 2006 though. I think that is the year to crack the surface, but it is a long process. You don't build a top 25 program overnight!

Look at it this way......there are probably 100 schools in this country that makes our record look like a damn joke. What makes us so damn special to get a top 25 vote when you have teams like Duke and Maryland, who are going to be playing top notch competition all year, and then you have us, playing Arkansas States, ULMs, ULL, etc. For instance, our biggest conference game is MUTS, Dukes is FSU, Miami, VTech, NC State, take your pick. As an outsider looking in, and an unbiased opinion, which none of us have, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to put us in the same class as those teams. Also, I think there are maybe two teams on that whole thing, top 25 and others taht we could actually beat. Put it in perspective people.

Edited by greenmean

---A lot of "top notch schools" don't play all that great of schedule either, they just have better conference opponents. TxTech has Florida Internatonal, Sam Houston State, and Indiana State on their schedule this year and they are listed 21. Our first games are more difficult than theirs. UT even has Rice and LaLafayette on their schedule. We probably don't deserve any top 25 votes but neither did a lot of those on the "also" list.

---I don't think we are a top 10 team but at the same time I don't beat us up and think we are terrible or in a terrible conference either. If we don't have any self-respect, then how do you expect others to respect us or our conference.... A better self image by some of our students and alums would sure help our program, attendence, and recruiting.

---Let us wish everyone in the Belt good luck this year and hope for several good OCC wins, it helps us all.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

---A lot of "top notch schools" don't play all that great of schedule either, they just have better conference opponents.  TxTech has Florida Internatonal, Sam Houston State, and Indiana State on their schedule this year and they are listed 21. Our first  games are more difficult than theirs.  UT even has Rice and LaLafayette on their schedule.  We probably don't deserve any top 25 votes but neither did a lot of those on the "also" list. 

---I don't think we are a top 10 team but at the same time I don't beat us up and think we are terrible  or in a terrible conference either.    If we don't have any self-respect, then how do you expect others to respect us or our conference.... A better self image by some of our students and alums would sure help our program, attendence, and recruiting.

---Let us wish everyone in the Belt good luck this year and hope for several good OCC wins, it helps us all.

Ok that first part is just crazy talk! I didn't want to type it this way because I don't want to sound mean, but I know no other way to get my point across. To say they don't play great schedules, they just have better conference opponents is flat out dumb. So Tech's OOC schedule is weak, they still play Texas, OU, Ok St, A&M and Nebraska. If you said they don't play a great OOC schedule, then OK. But, to say they don't play a great schedule is wrong. It doesn't matter that Texas, A&M, OU, Ok State and Nebraska are conference games, it still makes their schedule tough!

I don't remember anyone on this thread calling NT "terrible." I certainly never wrote it nor do I think it. I have plenty of self-respect about my alma matar. Almost on a daily basis I whip my co-workers with Patrick Cobbs and Jamario Thomas talk. The difference is I am a realist and willing to call a spade a spade. Here's an example. We DO have a terrible conference!

Ok that first part is just crazy talk!  I didn't want to type it this way because I don't want to sound mean, but I know no other way to get my point across.  To say they don't play great schedules, they just have better conference opponents is flat out dumb.  So Tech's OOC schedule is weak, they still play Texas, OU, Ok St, A&M and Nebraska.  If you said they don't play a great OOC schedule, then OK.  But, to say they don't play a great schedule is wrong.  It doesn't matter that Texas, A&M, OU, Ok State and Nebraska are conference games, it still makes their schedule tough!

I don't remember anyone on this thread calling NT "terrible."  I certainly never wrote it nor do I think it.  I have plenty of self-respect about my alma matar.  Almost on a daily basis I whip my co-workers with Patrick Cobbs and Jamario Thomas talk.  The difference is I am a realist and willing to call a spade a spade.  Here's an example.  We DO have a terrible conference!

I will agree with all of that Southbend.

The fact that I said we were undeserving of a vote in the TOP 25 poll does not mean I am trashing our school or dont have any self-respect for it. If I felt like that I wouldn't post or read the board. There are at least 25 teams better than us in the country IMO. Until our team proves to me that they belong there, I will not cry for us being left off.

If we beat LSU I would think we would get at least one vote in week 2, even though I think there would still be 25 teams that have proven they are better than us in the country.

I want our team to prove me wrong, and I am behind them all the way. Hardly a disrespectful comment.

Look at it this way......there are probably 100 schools in this country that makes our record look like a damn joke.  What makes us so damn special to get a top 25 vote when you have teams like Duke and Maryland, who are going to be playing top notch competition all year, and then you have us, playing Arkansas States, ULMs, ULL, etc.  For instance, our biggest conference game is MUTS, Dukes is FSU, Miami, VTech, NC State, take your pick.  As an outsider looking in, and an unbiased opinion, which none of us have, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to put us in the same class as those teams.  Also, I think there are maybe two teams on that whole thing, top 25 and others taht we could actually beat.  Put it in perspective people.

SOUTHBEND:.. apparently you did not read this...... It makes us sound pretty terrible......(my opinion of comment) .......... "100 schools that make our record look like a joke" .... get real.

---My point was most of the recognized programs have several weak teams on their schedule as well as most of us play a few high ranked ones. Tech has two opponents in the top ten, we have one. They are playing two I-AA opponents, we have none. A&M has two top ten teams, one team in I-AA and SMU who has been a constant loser. There are many posts on different threads that don't show much confidence in our program and constantly refers to us as a member of the worst conference in America. (You know that is true that that is regularly posted) This a new conference---have patience. I did not attack you.

Let's look at last year:

We lost to 1AA Florida Atlantic, lost to Baylor, got hammered by UT, lost to USM in the bowl game and they were the number 3 or 4 team in CUSA. Why do we deserve to get a vote when we are replacing our QB, entire DL and 3/4's of our defensive backfield?

Let's look at last year:

We lost to 1AA Florida Atlantic, lost to Baylor, got hammered by UT, lost to USM in the bowl game and they were the number 3 or 4 team in CUSA.  Why do we deserve to get a vote when we are replacing our QB, entire DL and 3/4's of our defensive backfield?

I am agreeing with you, we did not deserve any top 25 votes.... I just dislike the post that considers us a joke and claims there are a 100 better teams.

Quote--"......there are probably 100 schools in this country that makes our record look like a damn joke."

I am agreeing with you, we did not deserve any top 25 votes.... I just dislike the post that considers us a joke and claims there are a 100 better teams.

Quote--"......there are probably 100 schools in this country that makes our record look like a damn joke."

I wasn't necessarily responding to your comments, just the entire thread of people that think we deserve a vote in the coaches poll. And I also dislike the post that stated 100 schools in this country that make our record look like a damn joke.

Let's look at last year:

We lost to 1AA Florida Atlantic, lost to Baylor, got hammered by UT, lost to USM in the bowl game and they were the number 3 or 4 team in CUSA.  Why do we deserve to get a vote when we are replacing our QB, entire DL and 3/4's of our defensive backfield?

I agree.

I wasn't necessarily responding to your comments, just the entire thread of people that think we deserve a vote in the coaches poll.  And I also dislike the post that stated 100 schools in this country that make our record look like a damn joke.

GOOD LORD. Think about what you are saying here, I'm not bashing NT football by any means, I love it, can't live without it. However, 100 was obviously an exaggeration, but you have Big 12, Big 10, Pac10, ACC, SEC, half of CUSA, MAC. Every team in every one of those conferences has a better schedule than we do. Their conference opponents are tougher. Just teh way it is. Just an observation, makes sense if you THINK ABOUT IT.