I have never ripped a movie on-line before but I made the mistake of watching this one last night , it sucked the big one, and I am only doing it here because it is some what of a football movie. I used to get excited when I watched the original and the mean machine chat got going, and I always would start thinking about UNT Football.

If you are thinking of seeing this movie Just Say NO!

Here is my review if you are interested.

The Longest Yard is a wreck right from the beginning, and what is really sad is how poorly it reflects against the original. It should be illegal to remake a decent movie into a joke piece of trash like this.

Sandler, who I am a fan of, is a train wreck and not close to a Wrecking Crewe. He is completely unbelievable, his character as "Paul Crewe" never develops enough to take seriously. The story jumps and makes no sense. The relationships between the primary characters are just thrown together without any regard to the plot. The movie pushes homosexuality to much, to the point where it is gross and uncomfortable.

Chris Rock is just a joke the whole movie and can't be taken as a real character. When he dies who cares. The side characters are beyond silly; from McDonald's Cheese Burglar to Cloris Leachman (the administrative assistant) underwear freak that wants to ride Crewe. The prison itself is silly and over the top, with no feeling of a correctional institution.

In a word "Stupid" not "funny".

Major flaws - the movie steamrolls over any story telling to get the next joke. For the most part the movie is pieced together in to a chain of jokes with no substance. The struggle of the inmates against the guards is not set up well and the audience has very little reason to be on the “cons” side.

MTV and whoever else was involved in making this movies needs to learn how to balance comedy and serious acting.

I think Hollywood has run out of new movie ideas.    Many producers now take the easy way out with re-makes just to get $ from fans of the old classics.

I think you are absolutely correct, but theoretically some of these movies if redone correctly could be good. Like this movie I expected great football sequences, and to some extent saw them. But the rest of the movie was crucified. The Story was crucified, the timing was crucified, the strength of characters crucified and the crucifixions go on and on. What a mess.

What excuse does a director or producer have for destroying a movie when they have a classic to work from?

It should be illegal to diminish any classic like this.

Hollywood ran out of ideas about 10 years ago. Why all the movies based on 1960's TV shows (and bad ones too)? Why all the remake of old movies?

If Longest Yard blows, I will wait for it on TV or something. :puke

I liked it. <_<

The Postman too. <_<

Maybe I like apocalyptic movies or something. blink.gif

UNTFan23, I also liked "The Postman" which I thought was a highly underrated movie but one of the best things about this movie was (amazingly) the end credits when Amy Grant and "The Postman" star Kevin Costner sang duet-style the Lovin' Spoonful's old hit "You Didn't Have To Be So Nice" in a slow, ballad style. Of course, I knew Grant could sing but didn't know Costner could deliver some good sounds.

ADDENDUM: In the original "The Longest Yard" Jim Hampton (an NT graduate) played the part of the guy in the prison cell who was burned alive when he turned on the light bulb that exploded. I believe Gray Eagle knew Jim Hampton when they were both at NT, and Jack, if you are reading this post, please enlighten us on that subject if you will. Thanks in advance....

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Not having seen the original, I just went to see it as a funny football movie.  I enjoyed it within that context.  My girlfriend and I laughed hard through the whole thing.

As a BIG fan of the original. I also enjoyed it as a football comedy. It wasn't as good as the original, but it was funny and I enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see more movies based on true events of the recent past. For example... Black Hawk Down. Some more along those lines is what is needed. Not anything with a love triangle like Pearl Harbor. But just a good, solid movie without it being tricked up by hollywood. again, Black Hawk Down is the perfect example of this.