New helmets?

Eagle-96

Well Gak, I think we are on the same page, I don't just want typed out letter either. In computer terms, the logo should end in .jpg not .doc

You attached the Tech logo, and I think that is the best example. What is it? 2 letters. It isn't just plain text, and it certainly is a logo.

I have a feeling we won't see the Eagle on the helmets this year, but who knows.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Buzz is that there will be the new stacked "North Texas" on the helmet (or maybe "Mean Green") which is cool with me. I think that the eagle head might look decent on the sleeves of a jersey where the old circle star logo used to be.

I can still live with these.

When I see a helmet with yellow lines running from front to back, I think Michigan, and I think Big Ten football and even Ohio State.

We have had 4 years of success using the script as our helmet logo.

People all over the state. and all over this part of the country have seen the script logo on the back of my truck and instantly know who it represents. Why? Maybe for the 4 straight years it been on a bowl game broadcast?

Why are we throwing that away?

From the horse's mouth, we will have "North Texas" on our helmets.  Sure we could put an Eagle head on there but then when you transfer it to a t-shirt people can continue to say "Man, I love Philly too" or "Do you work for the postal service?" or "Temple?"

Then put both. Smaller "North Texas" with Eagle head below or beside, like Boise.

We have had 4 years of success using the script as our helmet logo.

People all over the state. and all over this part of the country have seen the script logo on the back of my truck and instantly know who it represents. Why? Maybe for the 4 straight years it been on a bowl game broadcast?

Why are we throwing that away?

Because it doesn't stand out; there's nothing unique or compelling about it. I mean, it was a decent stop-gap, but that's about it.

Oh, and to emmitt...maybe we can change our mascot to the albino squirrel. That way nobody can possibly accuse us of copying their eagle, despite the fact that it's been the school's mascot for 83 years.

Edited by Gakusei

Because it doesn't stand out; there's nothing unique or compelling about it.

I have had total strangers in El Paso, Lubbock, Odessa, San Antonio and San Marcos recognise the script and know it stands for the Mean Green of North Texas.

But I concede, no more arguing from me, nothing is going to bring North Texas Mean Green to people's minds like this masterpiece:

woot.jpg

W00t! And that is my last post on this.

Of course people from Texas are going to know what North Texas is...to think otherwise is naive. I'm talking about trying to get the school known on a national level, and that'll take more than the name of the school in cursive. You have to realize that "North Texas Mean Green" doesn't bring anything to mind for 95% of people in the United States. The people running the show are trying to change that, and they think that coming up with a simple, recognizeable logo and secondary logo will aid that effort; I agree.

user posted image         vs. user posted image

It's no contest at all.

Of course people from Texas are going to know what North Texas is...to think otherwise is naive.  I'm talking about trying to get the school known on a national level, and that'll take more than the name of the school in cursive.  You have to realize that "North Texas Mean Green" doesn't bring anything to mind for 95% of people in the United States.  The people running the show are trying to change that, and they think that coming up with a simple, recognizeable logo and secondary logo will aid that effort; I agree.

user posted image                   vs.   user posted image

It's no contest at all.

I'll take the script 100 out of 100 times. Go Postal Service!

Umm yeah... they look identical. 

blink.gif   user posted image    blink.gif

The humor and harmless sarcasm that has been expressed on GMG.com today far exceeds any other day in memory on this forum for this nestor.

Hey! Let's enjoy what we are doing in Denton, folks, because life is just too gol' darn short to not have fun with all of this. smile.gif

We worry about the perfect logo for NT, yet there are still people trying to find a place to eat and sleep in other parts of the world that were swept by a Tsunami several months ago.

Life is really good in Mean Green Country when you think about it. cool.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Of course people from Texas are going to know what North Texas is...to think otherwise is naive.

Haha... n00b.

When I first came here in 97, no one in my family knew who North Texas was. It could have been Sam Houston State or even Kilgore for all they knew.

North Texas' recognition has risen many fold since then, mainly because of its athletic success, and alot of people indentify us with the script. Just seems a shame to toss that.

Also, you may want to read this classic (author unknown), just substitute "Peru" with "North Texas", and "Economy" with "Marketing"

How to Argue

I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me. You too can win arguments. Simply follow these rules:

Drink liquor.

Suppose you are at a party and some hotshot intellectual is expounding on the economy of Peru, a subject you know nothing about. If you're drinking some health-fanatic drink like grapefruit juice, you'll hang back, afraid to display your ignorance, while the hotshot enthralls your date. But if you drink several large martinis, you'll discover you have STRONG VIEWS about the Peruvian economy. You'll be a WEALTH of information. You'll argue forcefully, offering searing insights and possibly upsetting furniture. People will be impressed. Some may leave the room.

Make things up.

Suppose, in the Peruvian economy argument, you are trying to prove that Peruvians are underpaid, a position you base solely on the fact that YOU are underpaid, and you'll be damned if you're going to let a bunch of Peruvians be better off. DON'T say: "I think Peruvians are underpaid." Say instead: "The average Peruvian's salary in 1981 dollars adjusted for the revised tax base is $1,452.81 per annum, which is $836.07 before the mean gross poverty level."

NOTE: Always make up exact figures.

If an opponent asks you where you got your information, make THAT up too. Say: "This information comes from Dr. Hovel T. Moon's study for the Buford Commission published on May 9, 1982. Didn't you read it?" Say this in the same tone of voice you would use to say, "You left your soiled underwear in my bathroom."

Use meaningless but weighty-sounding words and phrases.

Memorize this list:

Let me put it this way

In terms of

Vis-a-vis

Per se

As it were

Qua

So to speak

You should also memorize some Latin abbreviations such as "Q.E.D.", "e.g.", and "i.e." These are all short for "I speak Latin, and you don't."

Here's how to use these words and phrases. Suppose you want to say, "Peruvians would like to order appetizers more often, but they don't have enough money."

You never win arguments talking like that. But you WILL win if you say, "Let me put it this way. In terms of appetizers vis-a-vis Peruvians qua Peruvians, they would like to order them more often, so to speak, but they do not have enough money per se, as it were. Q.E.D."

Only a fool would challenge that statement.

Use snappy and irrelevant comebacks.

You need an arsenal of all-purpose irrelevant phrases to fire back at your opponents when they make valid points. The best are:

You're begging the question.

You're being defensive.

Don't compare apples to oranges.

What are your parameters?

This last one is especially valuable. Nobody (other than engineers and policy wonks) has the vaguest idea what "parameters" means.

Here's how to use your comebacks:

You say: As Abraham Lincoln said in 1873...

Your opponent says: Lincoln died in 1865.

You say: You're begging the question.

You say: Liberians, like most Asians...

Your opponent says: Liberia is in Africa.

You say: You're being defensive.

Compare your opponent to Adolf Hitler.

This is your heavy artillery, for when your opponent is obviously right and you are spectacularly wrong. Bring Hitler up subtly. Say, "That sounds suspiciously like something Adolf Hitler might say," or "You certainly do remind me of Adolf Hitler."

So that's it. You now know how to out-argue anybody. Do not try to pull any of this on people who generally carry weapons.

There, now try and argue betterer, you Nazi.

Sam Houston State

Stephen F. Austin

Austin College

Tarleton

Trinity University

Texas State-San Marcos

Texas Lutheran

UT-Dallas

UT-San Antonio

UT-Tyler

UT-Arlington

Mary Hardin Baylor

Hardin Simmons

Texas A&M-Commerce

Texas A&M-Corpus Christi

I could go on and on. If there are people in the state who don't know what North Texas is, they're not going to know much of anything. The schools listed above aren't powerhouses, but I know they exist because I live in Texas.

btw, I thought you were done with this? Or are you only done with this if you can have the last word?

Edited by Gakusei

I'm split on this. I know why we are going with "NORTH TEXAS". AS RV has stated many times. "If they don't know who we are, at least they will know where we are.

However, we are competing in Texas with other schools that have logos on their helmets. Baylor, TT, A&M, Rice, Houston, SMU, TCU, UTEP. All incorporate a logo of some kind. The NT Exes logo would do that for us just fine as several versions of it here has shown.

However non of this really matters even if we had a logo, whether it's the Postal Scrappy, the American Airlines Turbo Prop Scrappy, the NT Exes or the block or script "NORTH TEXAS". Non of this matters any more because UNLIKE our in-state competition, our UNIVERSITY will not be represented by it. But instead be represented by four or five or more different logos and again the confusion will continue as it has in the past.

Rick