Student Tickets

SAGreenFan

For home games just show up with a picture ID, at least that how it has always worked in the past.

You'll need to buy tickets to away games from the ticket office:

940.565.2527 or 1.800.UNT.2366

From what I understand, this is no longer an option. Students MUST go by the atheltic office BEFORE the game to get a ticket. They are free, just show a valid student ID.

GMG!

I'm not sure how they are going to count the BIS, but I still think that to be able to just show up is not a good policy. You should at least have to pick up a ticket at the window before you go in. That would be as good a way to count as any, and it helps to convey the idea that you are getting something of value. A just flash the ID devalues the show. I'd print $20.00 in very large print on each student ticket so that they will understand the value of their fees, and what the 'show' is worth.

Frankly I'd probably charge more.

That's fine at UT, but at North Texas we just want people to show up with the least amount of hassle and effort. If you stop 1 person from coming to the games because he has to go through the hassle of picking up a ticket (which is basically meaningless because you get in free anyway) then that is a bad plan. Don't try to teach students a "lesson" about the value of a ticket, I personally could care less about that as long as they show up!

GMG!

I've always been inclined to think that needing a ticket actually would increase student participation. Just going to the gate and flashing an ID sounds simple -- and it is. But saying instead that you need to plan ahead and pick up a ticket (or get one at the ticket window before the game) does add some "value" to the ticket. The idea is not to create a hassle (it doesn't have to be hard if it is done correctly and is available at places like the Union), but to get people to commit. It is just too easy to NOT go to the game at the last minute -- but there is something about already having a ticket in hand (even a free one) that will probably get people to go.

Personally, I'd also like to see students walk away from Freshman Orientation with their first football ticket already in hand. What a way to get them on the right path!

I pick up student tickets any while purchasing tickets for my parents and any other [none student] peeps that decide to hang with us. I know my bro's g/f's family is planning on coming to at least one game this season, along with another family friend's family. I'm doing my part to help bring people into the stadium, and I know others are too, it's the people that have never stepped foot in Fouts that we need to work on.

Do the student ID's have a bar code on them? I would think that scanning a bar code would be faster than going to a ticket booth. It would also have more meaning than just "flashing" an ID. The University could also track "student participation" with that method.

I agree that we need to have students show-up and the University doesn't need to put up barriers (minor as they may be) to their participation. However, I strongly agree with reb70, that we should not "trivialize" the value of the event. If the University doesn't appear to put much value on the event, then why should the students? I think that something more "significant" than "flashing your ID" should take place.

Brian,

I really enjoyed your story on your web page. It is great that you did so much research and set this up to communicate with all of your friends and family. I am so happy for you that the treatment has sent your condition into remission. Hope to see you at the tailgates this year.

-steve boedeker

I really enjoyed your story on your web page.  It is great that you did so much research and set this up to communicate with all of your friends and family.  I am so happy for you that the treatment has sent your condition into remission.  Hope to see you at the tailgates this year.

Thanks, it started off as a way for me to communicate with friends and family but was indexed in Yahoo and other search engines so anytime someone types "Synovial Sarcoma" in Yahoo I am the first (unsponsored) site to come up. Now I get quite a few questions/stories from people that are going through cancer or have family members going through cancer.

I am about to switch hosts again, the site is down 20% of the time on the ATT servers...