ATTENDANCE AT OTHER SBC GAMES

UNT_playmaker

TROY-IDAHO-----21,000

NMST-FIU----15K

MTSU-UTAH ST---15 K

UNT ( 22 GAME WIN STREAK ) ------ 10,000 PEOPLE.....

ARE WE STILL A DIV. 2 SCHOOL....

drastic measures need to be taken immediately, this is awful, it loooked so bad on t.v., i was at fouts after half time, the t.v. image was better than bein there in person. it looked like two junior high school football teams playin...

Rick villareal who were brought here to set up promotions, thats what you did best at southern miss, that is why we fired that sorry jack-ass craig helwig, who caused more damage to unt football than anyone in the history of div. 1A....

we need to get this problem fixed, it not funny anymore...

It never has been funny. The students are showing to be truly the laziest most apathetic jackasses of any D-1 institution. They are a disgrace to UNT and to themselves. I don't think for one minute that they were at any parties. They just had to go home for the weekend so mama could do their wash. When we are back in 1-AA in spite of having an exciting team to watch and a fast emerging group of loyal alumni, I hope these lazy mama's babys realize how they devalued their degree and were the devestation of a vastly improved college football program. There is no excuse period for last night's student turnout. mad.gif

Hey, not all students are that bad. Alot of us do show up. I couldnt go last night because I had to work, but I convinced 7 people that would normally not go to games to go. Work has hurt my ability to go to games this year, as I have missed more this year than in the last 3 combines, but when you walk into AutoZone on a Sat night you know the game will be on the radio. I have customers, some former NT alumni I have gotten to start going to the games by just talking about J-Mo and when they come back they are as hyped as me about that kid.

Seriously, there are some students that request off from work the day the schedule is released. Not everyone can pull that off though. The students that stayed for the entire game were few and far between, but we were rowdy and out supporting the team in the cold rain. Many of us ask people in our classes all week long if they're going to the game and how many people they're bringing. If they say they're not going, I tell them they're missing out. After the Homecoming game, one of my teachers asked us (a class of 75 people) how many went to the game...two of us raised our hands and everyone else laughed. Mumblings of "no one cares" and "don't we suck?" could be heard throughout the room. I felt like it was 2000 again. I hate to say it, but most students are like sheep...if something becomes popular and "the thing to do" they'll do it. The athletic department needs to exploit that. Other Sun Belt schools are doing that, why can't we? Show the highlights DVD on the TV's at school. Put up banners bragging about having the nation's leading rusher for the second straight year. Get a little competition going between Peterson and Thomas. Have Playstation 2 NCAA Football tournaments in the parking lot before the game...give the winners free concessions and send their butts into the stadium. Just do something.

The culture is slowly changing, but this weekend made me feel like we've regressed. We can't lump all of the students into one lazy group though. Let's get as many people as we can for the Idaho game...and move on.

Seriously, there are some students that request off from work the day the schedule is released.  Not everyone can pull that off though.  The students that stayed for the entire game were few and far between, but we were rowdy and out supporting the team in the cold rain.  Many of us ask people in our classes all week long if they're going to the game and how many people they're bringing.  If they say they're not going, I tell them they're missing out.  After the Homecoming game, one of my teachers asked us (a class of 75 people) how many went to the game...two of us raised our hands and everyone else laughed.  Mumblings of "no one cares" and "don't we suck?" could be heard throughout the room.  I felt like it was 2000 again.  I hate to say it, but most students are like sheep...if something becomes popular and "the thing to do" they'll do it.  The athletic department needs to exploit that.  Other Sun Belt schools are doing that, why can't we?  Show the highlights DVD on the TV's at school.  Put up banners bragging about having the nation's leading rusher for the second straight year.  Get a little competition going between Peterson and Thomas.  Have Playstation 2 NCAA Football tournaments in the parking lot before the game...give the winners free concessions and send their butts into the stadium.  Just do something.

The culture is slowly changing, but this weekend made me feel like we've regressed.  We can't lump all of the students into one lazy group though.  Let's get as many people as we can for the Idaho game...and move on.

This attitude is all about who we play. I don't agree with it but we all know that it exists. The other Sunbelt schools don't have to compete as much with the Big XII type schools for their own student's allegiance. When even a lowly Baylor comes to town, people swarm to the game because they finally think the matchup is worth seeing....and it feeds their ego... "we are playing a bigtime school." This is what must change at NT....and I do believe that it gradually is. Maybe after our SBC winning streak is 75 and we are on our way to our 8th consecutive NO bowl, we will have a majority of students who will come to Fouts no matter who we are playing. blink.gif

Dude, this is pathetic, WE NEED MORE PEOPLE IN THE STANDS, I DONT CARE IF ITS CROWDED

I dont think a new stadium will draw more crowds, its lack of interest, and laziness, I am spending ALL the money I get from bailing hay on the weekends on these games, and cheering my ace off, and at all cost, getting atleast 5 to go with me, and getting a ride there and back, and these students wont just walk 5 blocks and pay eight bucks to watch the university's football team play a football game

even when you have the nation leading rusher, the best team the sun belt conference has ever seen, and the fun of being with your friends and watching a game just pisses me off, and makes me angry, so put some effort into promoters, work harder, because your not helping!

Dude, this is pathetic, WE NEED MORE PEOPLE IN THE STANDS, I DONT CARE IF ITS CROWDED

I dont think a new stadium will draw more crowds, its lack of interest, and laziness, I am spending ALL the money I get from bailing hay on the weekends on these games, and cheering my ace off, and at all cost, getting atleast 5 to go with me, and getting a ride there and back, and these students wont just walk 5 blocks and pay eight bucks to watch the university's football team play a football game

even when you have the nation leading rusher, the best team the sun belt conference has ever seen, and the fun of being with your friends and watching a game just pisses me off, and makes me angry, so put some effort into promoters, work harder, because your not helping!

Great post man...BTW students get in Free. (Don't give me the "they pay extra tuition cost excuse.")

Edited by ipEAGLE

"Denton- When the University of North Texas and Northeast Louisiana get together, theatrics are almost inevitable.

Saturday night, North Texas quarterback Scott Davis provided the dramatics. He hustled 38 yards up the left sideline with 7:05 left to play to score the go-ahead touchdown and give UNT a 26-23 victory before 16,250 fans at Fouts Field"...........

This is the first two paragraphs in the Dallas Morning News, Sunday October 9th, 1988 back when we were 1-AA and we had 6,000 less students. My point being the opponent did not matter then and it should not have last night either with so much going for us now, regional tv, a conference championship and bowl trip on the line, plus the nations top running back making headlines on ESPN.

It's dizzying to think what in hell could possibly be the difference that would create such a difference from that of 16 years ago. Halloween parties would account for some of it, but not that much. No way.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I made it out to the game after the second quarter, considering that i actually came to the game and showed up. says alot more than the 95 % of our students who didnt show up, and our unt student attendance matched that of ULM students

also i have been at every game this year and had been at the parking lot tailgating every game this year, several hours before each game as well getting current and alumni friends to the game, that consists of 8-10 people each game. only me and a friend made it out there sat. night.

Dont you ever question me or any other person who showed up to the ULM game saturday night, we finally found out the true fans of the MEAN GREEN saturday night, and our loyal fan base only consisted of a little over 10K, after finding that out, i felt sick the entire night after leaving the game, our program has taken a major blow backwards.

I will be bringing over 10 friends to the Idaho game, and to tailgate, because its our last game and we will rip off the goal posts. I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE ALL UNT FANS TO DO THE SAME.

First off, check the number of posts. Second, I was just asking, so don't get your panties in a wad. Ive supported the team through win, loss, sun, or rain where I was soaked to the bone. It struck me as odd how someone was watching the game on tv, THEN decided to go to the game. Again, I was just asking, if your going to take something personal, wait until its called for.

Ive sat through 3 years of what you saw Saturday night. Actually I've seen worse. You want to feel sick, how about standing in your seat, with 20 feet of empty space all around you, when the music from the band bounces off of the aluminum bleachers because the stadium is half full on a good day.

That made me sick.

The 65-0 loss to UT to start this season, along with losses to FAU, Colo., and Baylor sucked the life out of our casual fan base this year. The 10K there last night were the faithful base. The maybe-fans saw the weather radar and stayed home and watched it on TV.

The 16K fans for the 1988 NT/ULM game were there because we had already beaten Texas Tech, ASU, E. Wash, and had refs give the game to Texas. We were 3-1 and even the casual fans were riding high. A loss of 6,000 fans from that OOC record to this years is really not that bad.

Bad OOC + rain + local TV + SBC opponent + no marketing = 10,800 fans sad.gif

Ominous dark clouds & lightning + pre-game rain drops + game televised in Denton/DFW + Halloween + fans with umbrellas who walk in the rain to the stadium then told they cannot bring their umbrellas inside stadium ("Hey, honey! It will be a blast to watch the game soaking wet)!" ='s approx 11,000 fans Saturday night.

Guess we should be happy we're still over 15,000 per game average, although any program should allow for 1 bad weather game per season.

Some of our campus officials are being lulled into a "Denton only" promotions philosophy. Seems they would see it is not working? Maybe its time to budget more athletic promotions monies that could make a difference at the gate so we don't have threads such as this one? blink.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen