Former UNT signee Layne Taylor commits to central Arkansas

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I give, why is this humiliating?

NT apparently didn't believe he was good enough to play here and released him to go elsewhere.  He signed with Central Arkansas, not exactly a powerhouse. 

This matter has been cleared up, if you read the posts that came in the days after I posted this.  The reason it would have been humiliating is if Taylor chose UCA over UNT because he saw it as a better opportunity.  If UCA is not exactly a powerhouse, that would make UNT something even worse.

And again, if you read the insider's post above, Taylor's release had nothing to do with an inability to play here.  There's a good chance would have started here from day one.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

This matter has been cleared up, if you read the posts that came in the days after I posted this.  The reason it would have been humiliating is if Taylor chose UCA over UNT because he saw it as a better opportunity.  If UCA is not exactly a powerhouse, that would make UNT something even worse.

And again, if you read the insider's post above, Taylor's release had nothing to do with an inability to play here.  There's a good chance would have started here from day one.

He gave a rationale for his decision, I doubt you have any idea how valid it is.   Did you expect him to state that he was encouraged to leave?

There is little chance, he would have started here from day one.  That is only my opinion, speculation at best; the same as yours. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

23 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

He gave a rationale for his decision, I doubt you have any idea how valid it is.   Did you expect him to state that he was encouraged to leave?

There is little chance, he would have started here from day one.  That is only my opinion, speculation at best; the same as yours. 

True, but my speculation is better.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

Not every kid coming straight from HS needs a ton of development.  If they demonstrate enough to for us to believe they can contribute, get them!  I think Layne would have helped us.

This is all moot now.  We released him, and it was for honorable reasons.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

Not every kid coming straight from HS needs a ton of development.  If they demonstrate enough to for us to believe they can contribute, get them!  I think Layne would have helped us.

This is all moot now.  We released him, and it was for honorable reasons.

Who is the last true freshman to make a significant impact on this program? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Aaron Scott had a pretty solid freshman campaign, as did Rubin Jones.

Aaron averaged 4 points and 4 rebounds a game as a freshman. Rubin averaged 6 points and 1 assist. 
Fine contributions, but not significant. And at the time it made sense to invest in young players like this. It doesn’t anymore. Unless they are immediate roster upgrades, make those young players prove it in D2 or low majors and THEN pick them up in the portal. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Aaron averaged 4 points and 4 rebounds a game as a freshman. Rubin averaged 6 points and 1 assist. 
Fine contributions, but not significant. And at the time it made sense to invest in young players like this. It doesn’t anymore. Unless they are immediate roster upgrades, make those young players prove it in D2 or low majors and THEN pick them up in the portal. 

Aaron also progressed as the year went on and won numerous CUSA freshman player of the week honors. 

• Oh Boy! 1

On 4/15/2024 at 6:02 PM, MeanGreenZen said:

Who is the last true freshman to make a significant impact on this program? 

if we count Umoja Gibson's first full season as his "true" freshman year (only played 2 games before injury straight out of HS), then it's him. 

if not, it's Josh White

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1