Big thought, looking ahead after the FAU loss

15 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

Oh man, I know we joke about SMU and their fans, but this picture really does speak volumes. I think more people would come to watch my 5 year old son play soccer. And this is a tournament!!!

Remember when we went Dickies the first year it open to watch the UNT/UMass game? I couldn’t believe that no one was there. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Remember when we went Dickies the first year it open to watch the UNT/UMass game? I couldn’t believe that no one was there. 

Yeah we should probably try to stay away from scheduling any "neutral home games" in future nonconference play and worry about filling our own arena first. I still haven't forgiven my wife from scheduling our Christmas pictures on that day.

Should be a lot different in March!

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Another one possession loss to FAU is frustrating, and having Rubin out the majority of conference play so far sucks. However, even if we aren't the most flashy team, I am confident come March. With seven losses already, though, we're probably close to the point of having to win the conference tournament to get to the Big Dance. So let's fast forward to then for a minute.

Top 4 seed to get a double bye should be the goal, and I think that's doable. Our goal as fans should be to get to Dickies Arena in Fort Worth and provide the homecourt advantage no other team will have. I think Memphis will bring a good number of fans, but we've already seen how SMU shows up to support during the conference tournament:

image.png.389420d3dea0c9f2afdf02fb3ca084bf.png

Even if they stay at the top, I doubt Charlotte or South Florida will bring many people. UAB will probably have a decent showing considering the distance and FAU will have some thanks to their big run last year.

I want us to pack the place so hard and loud that we sweep three teams in the tourney and clinch a ticket to the dance. I want us to be so much of a factor that other conference fans moan and bitch and beg the AAC to move the conference tournament to a more central location like Birmingham/Memphis. And really, if we get a top four seed, more specifically a 2/3 seed, there's no reason not to support. The second seed would play their first game at 6pm on Friday, 3/15. The third seed would play at 8. Of course, the semis and championship would fall on Saturday and Sunday.

Great post!

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

3 hours ago, BigWillie said:

Oh man, I know we joke about SMU and their fans, but this picture really does speak volumes. I think more people would come to watch my 5 year old son play soccer. And this is a tournament!!!

I only casually glanced at the photo and hadn't read the end of Matt's post, so didn't even realize this was an actual in-game shot, just thought it was a pre-game picture of the arena. 

I'm sure it was a mid-day/weekday game, but still that's a HORRIBLE showing, especially since they claim to be the team for a city of 1.3M people less than 30 minutes away.

• Haha 1

We had the lead the majority of the game @FAU.  We get them again in Denton and I expect a vastly different result, especially if Rubin is back and we are at full strength.

But to your point, yes, Dickies should easily be a home court advantage for us with fans there!   Notice how they curtained off the upper levels there too, lol.  That photo of 10 $mut fans at a tournament game 30 miles away is priceless!

On 1/28/2024 at 7:22 PM, BigWillie said:

I was at last years SMU/Memphis game at Dickies Arena and it seemed like the Tigers had as many fans as the Stangs. Regardless the crowd looked like it was in the 100's.

Well, three straight losses sucks. After tonight, we're tied with Memphis for sixth place in the conference at 5-4. If we can't get in the Top 4 and earn a double bye, seeds 6-7 would be next favorable for fan attendance.

https://theamerican.org/tournaments/?id=294

The sixth seed would play the winner of 11/14 on a Thursday at 8pm, and the #3 seed on Friday at 8pm. The seventh seed would play the #10 seed on Thursday at 6pm and the #2 seed on Friday at 6pm.

Also worth noting, after the 11-14 seeds play two games on Wednesday night on ESPN+, all remaining games are on linear ESPN between ESPN2 and ESPNU, leading up to the championship game on Sunday, March 17th at 2:15 p.m. on ESPN Main.

• Upvote 3