Since we love to keep up with Todd Dodge

It appears that he is set to take over as head coach of Lovejoy high school. 

The man is a true pioneer, taking on the Herculean task of winning at places like Southlake Carroll, Austin Westlake, and now a school where they went 12-2 last season.  

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

Well that sucks. This is going to certainly make it harder to get private coaching and attend minicamps for my middle school quarterback. I guess he is moving back to DFW to be close to Riley.

Edited by Cr1028

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

What would you call someone who led his teams to 7 state titles then?

Led?  

Leading is taking a team that DOESN’T have more resources than all of its opponents to a place they haven’t been before…it is not taking an already successful program with incredible resources to the place that they will naturally reach.  

I’d like to see how he’d do at a place with few resources and without an established tradition of dominance…maybe a place like North Texas.    Guess we’ll never know how that would turn out though. 🤔

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 3

16 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Led?  

Leading is taking a team that DOESN’T have more resources than all of its opponents to a place they haven’t been before…it is not taking an already successful program with incredible resources to the place that they will naturally reach.  

I’d like to see how he’d do at a place with few resources and without an established tradition of dominance…maybe a place like North Texas.    Guess we’ll never know how that would turn out though. 🤔

I saw where someone had posted that when he has coached teams that were not high-spending locations that could afford the best of everything, his teams have losing records.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

What would you call someone who led his teams to 7 state titles then?

In Dodge's case, I'd call him extremely lucky and good at picking school districts with the money and resources to be successful at the high school level.  A "legendary" coach would have had some type of success at the high school level.  

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 2

30 minutes ago, Rudy said:

In Dodge's case, I'd call him extremely lucky and good at picking school districts with the money and resources to be successful at the high school level.  A "legendary" coach would have had some type of success at the high school level.  

Hasn’t he had “some type of success” at the high school level?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

This is just sour grapes. Tom Rapp didn’t win squat at Carroll before Dodge got there. Ledbetter won 4 3A titles in 16 years. Dodge won 4 5A titles in 7 years.

Westlake had only won a single title before Dodge got there and that was way back in 1996 with a future NFL hall of famer at quarterback. He won 3 there. Coppell has tremendous resources and hasn’t won any state titles. 

Rip him if you want for the college stuff but he is a very good high school coach.

Let’s see.  Southlake Carroll has 4 state titles without Todd Dodge (3 before him and 1 since).  

Austin Westlake was a real downtrodden program before the “legend” got there, only going to the state final in 1990, 1994, 2000, 2001, 2006, and 2009 while winning 76% of their games all-time…and they really fell off after he left, only going a combined 28-2 (with both losses to North Shore) in the last two years.   And Drew Brees was their only notable alumnus…as long as you don’t count Sam Ehlinger or Nick Foles, and this guy who was under center during Dodge’s state title wins: https://247sports.com/Player/cade-klubnik-46056879/high-school-219672/

Yeah, Dodge has been a real do more with less kinda guy.   Ever taken the time to look up his coaching record when he isn’t in an ultra-affluent suburb.   

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 5

10 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Let’s see.  Southlake Carroll has 4 state titles without Todd Dodge (3 before him and 1 since).  

Austin Westlake was a real downtrodden program before the “legend” got there, only going to the state final in 1990, 1994, 2000, 2001, 2006, and 2009 while winning 76% of their games all-time…and they really fell off after he left, only going a combined 28-2 (with both losses to North Shore) in the last two years.   And Drew Brees was their only notable alumnus…as long as you don’t count Sam Ehlinger or Nick Foles, and this guy who was under center during Dodge’s state title wins: https://247sports.com/Player/cade-klubnik-46056879/high-school-219672/

Yeah, Dodge has been a real do more with less kinda guy.   Ever taken the time to look up his coaching record when he isn’t in an ultra-affluent suburb.   

I didn't see him building up SOC, Duncanville, Cedar Hill, or even Aledo.

Edited by Rudy

Brandon Jackson has been the passing game coordinator at Lovejoy for a while.  Yes, the same Brandon Jackson that was one of the key wide receivers at UNT during Dodge’s watch (and featured in the video below).   I hope Dodge keeps him on staff.  

• Upvote 6

16 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I've always referred to him as the "ultimate opportunist".  Kind of like Chuck Curtis. Only Chuck Curtis had a lot more personality.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Who is Chuck Curtis?

Chuck Curtis - Wikipedia

After one season with the Giants, Curtis returned to Texas in order to pursue a coaching career. He began at Holliday, where he led the 1958 Eagles to an 8–2 record and barely missed the playoffs. The following year Curtis moved to 2A Jacksboro, where he turned around a program in the dumps for 10 straight years and culminating in the state title in 1962. The Tigers outscored their opponents 602–43 that year. Curtis soon moved on, as he succeeded Homer Johnson as head coach at 4A Garland. Guiding the Owls to back-to-back state titles in 1963 and '64, Curtis became the first coach in Texas high school football to win consecutive titles at different schools in different classifications, going 26–1–1 during that stretch.[3] He also joined, at that time, Waco's Paul Tyson, Amarillo's Blair Cherry and Abilene's Chuck Moser as the only coaches to win three straight state crowns.[citation needed]

I take it back. Todd Dodge could never coach and recruit as well as Chuck Curtis. Chuck Curtis, if given the same resources with an opposing team, would have consistently kicked TD's ass. 

Chuck Curtis: Glory on and off the field | Local News | cleburnetimesreview.com

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

On 1/27/2024 at 7:48 AM, emmitt01 said:

The man is a true pioneer, taking on the Herculean task of winning at places like Southlake Carroll, Austin Westlake, and now a school where they went 12-2 last season.  

I was at Boomerjacks in Fairview and somebody mentioned that. I couldn’t believe it! 

On 1/27/2024 at 7:48 AM, emmitt01 said:

Maybe Lovejoy isn’t satisfied with 12-2 and wants to win a state title. Westlake and Southlake seemed to enjoy the number of football state titles Todd Dodge won them that was not matched by any other coach for those schools before or since.

• Upvote 3