Mid Major Poll

Wish we had beat Boise State and we could have gotten by ST. John’s to play Dayton. Beating more “mid majors” ahead of us would have been nice. We still get shots at Memphis, FAU, and SMU!

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 4

The label is stupid. There is no power conference designation in basketball. Those mountain west programs run circles around many programs in the big 10 ACC sec…in attendance intensity quality and lore. 

Cede no territory belief or mindset. 

GMG

Edited by NM Green
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

If you really want to dig into the BS that is all this terminology, think about the "Power" designation and how it was specifically assigned to 5 conferences, and then watch as the media chooses whatever is convenient when talking about the Indies.

I remember watching a broadcast years ago, flipping back and forth between games involving Army and ND, and the Army team was being referred to as G5, while ND was P5.

Even if spoken in error, maybe even because of an error, I got WAY too worked up over how this stuff is just BS and gets twisted around.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I guess that what bugs me most is the term “power conference.” WCC is a power conference with Gonzaga and Saint Mary’s. Mountain west with a projected 5 teams in the field of 64 is a Power Conference.

GMG. 

47 minutes ago, NM Green said:

I guess that what bugs me most is the term “power conference.” WCC is a power conference with Gonzaga and Saint Mary’s. Mountain west with a projected 5 teams in the field of 64 is a Power Conference.

GMG. 

It's monetary based. They literally call Gonzaga a "power program" in a mid-major conference. They signify it that way to help the rich (power conference) programs who get their heads bounced off the court by the Zags. It's all a joke. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1