Alabama lawmaker files bill allowing NIL money for high school athletes

cousin oliver

An Alabama state representative has filed a bill that would allow high school athletes to make money off of their image.

The legislation, HB25, sponsored by Rep. Jeremy Gray, D-Opelika, would be a name, image and likeness (NIL) bill for high school athletes. The bill is limited to the athlete and does not allow the use of “marks, including a school logo, school name, school mascot, or trademarked logo or acronym of an athletic association,” alongside some other restrictions.

Alabama has had a state name, image and likeness law since 2021, one that was revised in 2022 after it was deemed stricter than the NCAA’s later regulations. The NCAA allows college athletes are allowed to profit from their image, name and likeness under NCAA NIL, according to NCSA Recruiting, ranging from the use of merchandise to autographs to running camps and clinics.

According to The Hill, at least 30 states and Washington, D.C. have legislation that allows high school students to make money off of their image.

link: https://www.al.com/news/2023/12/alabama-lawmaker-files-bill-allowing-nil-money-for-high-school-athletes.html

Edited by cousin oliver
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 3

The context of playing sports for love of the sport or school has become overridden with pushing players to make $$ playing sports.  Most never will make $$, but they are under peer pressure to try.   Society is killing sports.  Players are becoming mercenaries, playing for whoever pays the most.  No loyalty to anything.  That then transfers to jobs and family...no loyalty to anything in life.

• Upvote 2

Now, I’m going to partly answer my own question.

If a high school student is a really good actor or musician, they can transfer to an “arts magnent” school that has a high concentration in theater or music, etc.  Why can't , rhetorically speaking, a superb high school athlete do the same thing ?  Transfer to a football factory and receive compensation at the same time ?

PS… I don’t favor this.  It’s just thinking out loud.   J

Edited by greenjoe

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

Now, I’m going to partly answer my own question.

If a high school student is a really good actor or musician, they can transfer to an “arts magnent” school that has a high concentration in theater or music, etc.  Why can't , rhetorically speaking, a superb high school athlete do the same thing ?  Transfer to a football factory and receive compensation at the same time ?

PS… I don’t favor this.  It’s just thinking out loud.   J

They can transfer to private schools anytime.   Private school athletic programs in many states, especially the Northeast and California are better than most public athletic programs.