Boise State

GMG_Dallas

BSU wants to win Championships. The powers that be at UNT want .500 ball.

If not why do we keep coaches who are the worst at their coaching position. Why do we allow HFC to continue supporting someone whose clearly not capable of coaching his players. Why do we allow a AD to continue not influencing the HFC to correct these apparent issues....

Why???? Because we are NORTH TEXAS!

Wait till next year...we'll kick ass....I've heard BS to many times. 

But here I am....I am a masochist.

GMG

Edited by RBP79
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 12/2/2023 at 5:24 PM, GMG_Dallas said:

On November 13th of 2023, Boise State fired their head football coach. Today they beat UNLV 44-20 to win the MWC championship game and finish 8-5. I don't ever want to hear/read that we can't fire a coordinator or head coach mid-season.

Midseason firing can be done. It more often than not makes things worse and the list of those going on to win a conference title that year is pretty small, it's less common than converting fourth and thirty or more yards.

Blake Anderson canned his DC and another defensive assistant after a 3-2 start in 2020 and A-State dropped the next five with only ULM saving the remainder of the season from being a complete bust.

My observation over the years is fans tend to horribly over-estimate the state of their roster. Fans do a bit better job assessing coaching than rosters.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Every month, someone wins the Lotto. Every day, people draw to inside straights. Occasionally, you get lucky. Usually, you don't. 

The point is, mid-season change can be done without throwing the season away as was suggested would happen if a certain DC was fired.

7 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

Midseason firing can be done. It more often than not makes things worse and the list of those going on to win a conference title that year is pretty small, it's less common than converting fourth and thirty or more yards.

Blake Anderson canned his DC and another defensive assistant after a 3-2 start in 2020 and A-State dropped the next five with only ULM saving the remainder of the season from being a complete bust.

My observation over the years is fans tend to horribly over-estimate the state of their roster. Fans do a bit better job assessing coaching than rosters.

Sometimes you just don't have the roster pieces to be elite. I understand that and I'm sure most do as well. That said, it takes poor coaching to be dead last out of 133 in any given category. After a 4 game losing streak where the defense allowed 35 or more and you got knocked out of bowl contention, a change would have been acceptable. I think it would have been acceptable after Memphis dropped 42 and drove down the field with 30 seconds to win the game. Instead, we made no changes and watched  UAB drop 42 on us in embarrassing fashion as the tackling looked equally as bad in game 12 as it did game 1.

As a fan, I just hope the portal giveth some studs so we don't waste the final year of Rogers college career.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The point is, mid-season change can be done without throwing the season away as was suggested would happen if a certain DC was fired.

Can you name three examples in the last five years of a team firing a coordinator mid-season and that unit improving its performance? Can it happen? Yes, but very rarely. The majority of the time the unit remains mostly the same. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

Can you name three examples in the last five years of a team firing a coordinator mid-season and that unit improving its performance? Can it happen? Yes, but very rarely. The majority of the time the unit remains mostly the same. 

You could expand this to all coaching firings and hirings regardless of when it occurs within a season or offseason. Over the course of time, most coaches don't have long-term success. They do just enough in short increments to get bigger jobs until they get a big job which they eventually get fired from. A few find themselves in places where career .500 ball is acceptable, most are recycled. That doesn't mean you shouldn't make changes when things get extreme such as the worst defense out of over 130 teams.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Firing coordinators is a head coach's way of trying to save his own job, because the spotlight of poor performance is shining on the program.