TV Money

Matt from A700

7 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

If I remember correctly, our yearly ESPN payout from being in the AAC should be over $6 million more a year than CUSA. Some of these questions are probably Googleable, but:

1. When do we get the money?

2. Does the money go to the whole institution or only athletics?

3. What are we going to do with the extra money?

Are we sure we’re getting the entire sum? I remember reading during the time of our entry into the new conference that we would be receiving $1.5-$2m the first year or two. I had asked Vito and another media guy on Twitter, but they didn’t have the answer. Either way, it’s triple the share from C-USA. 

• Upvote 6

I don't believe that we get the full payout the first year.  I'm not sure but I think that it was to be in the 3-4 million dollar range.  We had the highest CUSA payout last year at 2.5 million so this will likely be only a million more which should go to the Athletic Department.  Any overage in the football budget will likely be applied to light revenue sports.

• Upvote 1

The legacy AAC schools get $7M a year, and that is paid out at the end of the year around May or June. 

The new teams however get a half share, so $3.5M, but it is unclear if we get the full amount or if the AAC entrance fee will come out of it for a couple of years. Once the payout is given someone can use a FOIA to see the numbers. Over the course of the contract that number will ramp up so that we are receiving a full share by 2031. No one knows the specifics at this point on that as far as I know. 

Also that will just be the media payout, it does not include CFP, NCAA credits, and any potential exit fee money. I'll be interested when all of the amounts become public. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

The legacy AAC schools get $7M a year, and that is paid out at the end of the year around May or June. 

The new teams however get a half share, so $3.5M, but it is unclear if we get the full amount or if the AAC entrance fee will come out of it for a couple of years. Once the payout is given someone can use a FOIA to see the numbers. Over the course of the contract that number will ramp up so that we are receiving a full share by 2031. No one knows the specifics at this point on that as far as I know. 

Also that will just be the media payout, it does not include CFP, NCAA credits, and any potential exit fee money. I'll be interested when all of the amounts become public. 

Yep, very interested to see how much the conference will get from SMU. And what UNTs share will be.

5 hours ago, outoftown said:

Yep, very interested to see how much the conference will get from SMU. And what UNTs share will be.

Also I wonder how much of the Cincy, UCF, and UH money the other schools will get. I'm not sure if the AAC is distributing that money or making a conference fund for other uses. 

I found this

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2023/05/08/Colleges/aac-total-revenue-increase.aspx

But it's hard to know how much to total numbers are. 

• Upvote 1