Coach Morris you decided on your inexperienced DC

El Paso Eagle

I used to say that these losses were still entertaining. Now they’re just making me incredibly frustrated. I’m trying not to feel like we’re living through the Dodge years again, but every passing week makes me feel like we’re about to relive one of the darkest eras of Mean Green football.

How you choose to come out onto that field and get punched in the mouth is beyond me. 

San Antonio is going to be no bueno. You know the drill, Harris up by 28 at half, UNT loses 52-49. And then pony isn’t going to play around. Love their D. Bloodbath on the boulevard. 

gmg

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

You made the call to overpay an inexperienced dc. For what he is being paid you could have got a lot of very experienced defensive coordinators or hell you could have even hired one of the best DC from FCS. If you had not chosen this route for a DC we could have been near the top of the conference. I can only hope that you mature as a coach and get the air raid Philosophy for defense out of your vocabulary

What's the NIL/portal rate for good defensive players?  How many can you get for $400k?

• Downvote 1

He’s showing some inexperience himself.  After the long catch to get inside the 5 with under a minute left, you have to run some clock or try to get Memphis to burn a timeout.  We only needed a field goal to tie, so you have to run it on first down.  Have to.  Instead we throw and score quick.

The defense is absolutely the worst I’ve ever seen.  Morris has to recognize that and call the game to limit that weakness as much as possible.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

The defense is poor but what's equally as bad is the offense in the 1st half. We've come out flat two games in a row. With an offensive minded HC, that's unacceptable. We ended the first drive on an absolutely terrible decision. You want to go on 4th down? OK but just go for the first down.

Fixing the defense is an obvious necessity. We also can't be playing big from behind every game and expect to repeatedly come back for a wild win.

Our 3 conference losses had us trailing big:

- down 10 to Navy twice, once in the 3rd and once in the 4th, 10 first half UNT points

- down 21 to Tulane twice, once to end the first half/start the 2nd half and then again in the 3rd quarter after our first TD, 0 UNT first half points

- trailed by as much as 24 in the first half to Memphis and then by 17 in the 4th quarter, 10 first half UNT points

We need to come out with more energy next week.

Edit to add total first half UNT points.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The defense is poor but what's equally as bad is the offense in the 1st half. We've come out flat two games in a row. With an offensive minded HC, that's unacceptable. We ended the first drive on an absolutely terrible decision. You want to go on 4th down? OK but just go for the first down.

Fixing the defense is an obvious necessity. We also can't be playing big from behind every game and expect to repeatedly come back for a wild win.

Our 3 conference losses had us trailing big:

- down 10 to Navy twice, once in the 3rd and once in the 4th, 10 first half UNT points

- down 21 to Tulane twice, once to end the first half/start the 2nd half and then again in the 3rd quarter after our first TD, 0 UNT first half points

- trailed by as much as 24 in the first half to Memphis and then by 17 in the 4th quarter, 10 first half UNT points

We need to come out with more energy next week.

Edit to add total first half UNT points.

I didn't like the deep ball on 4th down, but I think the team expected an offsides call and performed the usual reaction of going for the TD, thinking it was a free play.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

I didn't like the deep ball on 4th down, but I think the team expected an offsides call and performed the usual reaction of going for the TD, thinking it was a free play.

I was on the other side of the stadium. Was there a jump or something that looked like there would be an offside call?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

I thought this as well.  Seemed like there was some movement by the DE on the defensive left side.

41 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I thought this as well.  Seemed like there was some movement by the DE on the defensive left side.

I watched the replay and number 94 definitely jumped into the neutral zone before the snap. The issue is the defense can move all they want as long as they're not in the neutral zone at the snap and as long as the offense doesn't react to it. You'll notice in the NFL, offensive linemen have been taught to jump when a DL jumps into the neutral zone so the refs have to call a neutral zone infraction penalty.

Personally, it was close enough to the snap to be called offsides. My issue really is with the play call to go for it. After that, the play doesn't look designed to get the 3 yards needed which is my other issue. I think Morris figured it was early enough to be aggressive. Wouldn't have been a big deal if they weren't pushed around the remainder of the 1st half.

4 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I was on the other side of the stadium. Was there a jump or something that looked like there would be an offside call?

Yes, it appeared to me that one of their linemen jumped before the line and that a flag would be thrown. Rogers thought it was going to be a free play. 

Caponi has to go. We can't expect to win playing out of a huge hole every game. 

• Upvote 3

I don’t think some of y’all understand how bad our defensive personnel is. There’s not a DC in the country that could scheme these guys into being a decent defense. We are playing a lot of guys that don’t belong on an FBS roster. 

I’m not going to call for any coach’s job until I see what we do with a full offseason of recruiting and portal transfers.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

24 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I don’t think some of y’all understand how bad our defensive personnel is. There’s not a DC in the country that could scheme these guys into being a decent defense. We are playing a lot of guys that don’t belong on an FBS roster. 

I’m not going to call for any coach’s job until I see what we do with a full offseason of recruiting and portal transfers.

The stack will continue to bleed rushing yards to the opponent. Our recruiting has never been good enough to run this system. Zero reason to believe that it will start. 

It requires unicorns at the 3 safety positions. A hammer at the Mike and an immovable force at the nose. Real athleticism must be everywhere else due to the space being played in due to the scheme. And there is zero room to hide the lack of athleticism at the DE spots or the 2 OLB spots. Space is the name of this defense. You have to be able to play effectively in it. There are bluechips that can't do it with consistency. 

• Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I watched the replay and number 94 definitely jumped into the neutral zone before the snap. The issue is the defense can move all they want as long as they're not in the neutral zone at the snap and as long as the offense doesn't react to it. You'll notice in the NFL, offensive linemen have been taught to jump when a DL jumps into the neutral zone so the refs have to call a neutral zone infraction penalty.

Personally, it was close enough to the snap to be called offsides. My issue really is with the play call to go for it. After that, the play doesn't look designed to get the 3 yards needed which is my other issue. I think Morris figured it was early enough to be aggressive. Wouldn't have been a big deal if they weren't pushed around the remainder of the 1st half.

Agreed.  I kick the field goal every time in that situation.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RBP79 said:

Morris should be told " lose the DC or you'll be the highest paid janitor in the country"....

No way. Anytime you have someone who supervises others, you get rid of the supervisor if you get to a place where you can’t trust them to make hiring and firing decisions. And I am a really long way from getting rid of Morris.

He may make a change or he may not. My guess is he won’t this year. They have personnel upgrades that need to be made in the off-season, and I think they’ll play out next year and re-evaluate.

Also, it’s not like they took over a top 50 defense.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

No way. Anytime you have someone who supervises others, you get rid of the supervisor if you get to a place where you can’t trust them to make hiring and firing decisions. And I am a really long way from getting rid of Morris.

He may make a change or he may not. My guess is he won’t this year. They have personnel upgrades that need to be made in the off-season, and I think they’ll play out next year and re-evaluate.

Also, it’s not like they took over a top 50 defense.

'They'.. will not fire anyone...I know that. 

This is the 2023 version of what we've seen before. Maybe Morris pulls it to gather. I hope so.

• Upvote 1