GOMEANGREEN Postional Breakdown: Defensive Line

TheReal_jayD

DL PIC.png

There are a lot of unknowns when talking about the 2023 North Texas football team. But there are two for sures when discussing this team and upcoming season the defenses will have 3 defensive linemen... and there are some “certified dawgs” (Pat McAfee impersonation) along that front. This group is led by first year DL Coach Demerick Gary. Mazin Richards spoke about Coach Gary at Media Day “I love coach Gary; He is one of my favorite position coaches I have had. To already be a FBS DL coach at 25 speaks to the knowledge he has for the position.” Gary served as GA and Assistant DL coach in Arkansas and Houston prior. The former SMU Mustang has shot up the coaching ranks and is proving to be a future star in the coaching world. He has brought DFW THSFB connections being a Kimball alumnus as well. Let’s get into what he will have to work with in the trenches this year.

Certified Dawgs

This group is led by Mazin Richards and Roderick Brown are the leaders of this group. They are two of the best defensive linemen in the American Conference in my opinion. Mazin is transitioning back to the defensive line after playing last year as a linebacker. Richards spoke of the transition back to defensive line “It was a natural transition, I liked what I was doing last year. But I am excited to just rush the passer. Just pin my ears back and get after it.” Mazin busted on the scene last season after transferring in from Eastern New Mexico. Richards ended the season with 78 tackles and 7.5 sacks. Those numbers allowed him to rack in several awards during his first season in Denton. With the Iowa State defenses blitzer will be coming from multiple angles. I could easily see Richards increasing his sack numbers this season.

Roderick Brown is not the tallest DT in the country. He is listed at only 5’11 303 LBS. North Texas has had great success in the past with undersized DT. Brandon Kennedy is the first name that comes to mind. He was 5-10 but didn’t let his height stop him from being one of the best players in North Texas history. Brown is on the same trajectory. He has made an impact instantly since arriving in Denton after graduation from North Forney. In his 1st two seasons at North Texas Brown has had 62 tackles and 8.5 TFL. Brown never redshirted. He played 10 games during his true freshman season. Brown combination of speed and power make him a nuisance for opposing offenses. North Texas success on the defensive side of the ball will be determined largely by play of Brown and Richards.

My Pick to Breakout

Kortlin Rausaw came to North Texas from Wylie as one of the biggest Defensive Line recruiting wins in the last decade. He had a double digit offer list including multiple P5s schools and future American Conference mates. The list included Colorado, Iowa State, Boise State, Tulane, and Tulsa. Last year Kortlin busted on the scene and showed flashes of the potential many schools saw during his recruiting process. As a redshirt sophomore he already as the frame to be dominant defensive lineman. He also adds the strength and speed to not only be effective in stopping the run but also get after the passer. I believe he has a great chance to be the other starting Defensive End opposite of Mazin on September 2nd.

Next Up

One of the major concerns of this defense has been depth. North Texas has several guys on the depth chart that I believe are ready and could contribute if needed. Two guys that contributed a lot last year and I believe will do the same this year are Kadren Johnson (SR – DE 6-1 242) and Fatafehi Vailea (SO – DT 6-1 282) . The two combined for 63 tackles and 5 TFL last season. I am sure we will see Defensive Lineman rotating frequently this season. I would guess these two will be the first two in the rotation after the starters.

Two that Could Surprise

Two guys that have been on campus but may have not produced much yet but could be ready to make big strides this year are Chris Wright (DE 6-3 230) and Enoch Jackson (JR - DT 5-11 301). Wright came to North Texas out of high school from THSFB powerhouse Aledo, while Jackson transferred in from Arkansas. I could see both Jackson and Wright usage and production both improving this upcoming season.

New Names

North Texas didn’t see as much roster turnover this offseason as most schools did. But North Texas was still able to add several new names along the defensive front. The new names that could contribute are Rodney Green Jr. (Jr - DE 6-3 270 Juco), Marcus Moore (JR - DT 6-0 303 Juco), Vic Alobwede (JR – DE 6’5 266 UMass), and high school signee Keith Smith (FR – DE 6-2 255 South Oak Cliff. Out of the trio of Green Jr., Moore and Alobwede North Texas will need at least one to step up and contribute. If more than one step up it will go along ways with the new defense and transitioning to new conference. All three have the size and experience of playing college football. Each has contributed at previous stops. Each has the potential to play day one.  We interviewed Green after he signed with North Texas. He is a bright guy and seems excited to get to work. Smith may not be able to go on day one. But his combo of size and speed is extremely impressive for a true freshman. Even if he redshirts this season Smith has a very high ceiling for his future at North Texas.

Overall Outlook

This group could have two of the biggest stars and talents on the North Texas football team this upcoming season in Brown and Richards. But this group does come with a lot of unknowns as well. How will first year DL Coach perform in his first season? Who steps up to be the third best defensive lineman? But even with the questions surrounding this group I believe it could be the group that surprises fans the most. This group is going to benefit from the number of bodies that will be able to rotate as well as this new defensive scheme having the ability to send rushers from multiple angles and different directions.

Links:

GMG Interview with Rodney Green Jr. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu62dbY9R8U

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

DL PIC.png

There are a lot of unknowns when talking about the 2023 North Texas football team. But there are two for sures when discussing this team and upcoming season the defenses will have 3 defensive linemen... and there are some “certified dawgs” (Pat McAfee impersonation) along that front. This group is led by first year DL Coach Demerick Gary. Mazin Richards spoke about Coach Gary at Media Day “I love coach Gary; He is one of my favorite position coaches I have had. To already be a FBS DL coach at 25 speaks to the knowledge he has for the position.” Gary served as GA and Assistant DL coach in Arkansas and Houston prior. The former SMU Mustang has shot up the coaching ranks and is proving to be a future star in the coaching world. He has brought DFW THSFB connections being a Kimball alumnus as well. Let’s get into what he will have to work with in the trenches this year.

Certified Dawgs

This group is led by Mazin Richards and Roderick Brown are the leaders of this group. They are two of the best defensive linemen in the American Conference in my opinion. Mazin is transitioning back to the defensive line after playing last year as a linebacker. Richards spoke of the transition back to defensive line “It was a natural transition, I liked what I was doing last year. But I am excited to just rush the passer. Just pin my ears back and get after it.” Mazin busted on the scene last season after transferring in from Eastern New Mexico. Richards ended the season with 78 tackles and 7.5 sacks. Those numbers allowed him to rack in several awards during his first season in Denton. With the Iowa State defenses blitzer will be coming from multiple angles. I could easily see Richards increasing his sack numbers this season.

Roderick Brown is not the tallest DT in the country. He is listed at only 5’11 303 LBS. North Texas has had great success in the past with undersized DT. Brandon Kennedy is the first name that comes to mind. He was 5-10 but didn’t let his height stop him from being one of the best players in North Texas history. Brown is on the same trajectory. He has made an impact instantly since arriving in Denton after graduation from North Forney. In his 1st two seasons at North Texas Brown has had 62 tackles and 8.5 TFL. Brown never redshirted. He played 10 games during his true freshman season. Brown combination of speed and power make him a nuisance for opposing offenses. North Texas success on the defensive side of the ball will be determined largely by play of Brown and Richards.

My Pick to Breakout

Kortlin Rausaw came to North Texas from Wylie as one of the biggest Defensive Line recruiting wins in the last decade. He had a double digit offer list including multiple P5s schools and future American Conference mates. The list included Colorado, Iowa State, Boise State, Tulane, and Tulsa. Last year Kortlin busted on the scene and showed flashes of the potential many schools saw during his recruiting process. As a redshirt sophomore he already as the frame to be dominant defensive lineman. He also adds the strength and speed to not only be effective in stopping the run but also get after the passer. I believe he has a great chance to be the other starting Defensive End opposite of Mazin on September 2nd.

Next Up

One of the major concerns of this defense has been depth. North Texas has several guys on the depth chart that I believe are ready and could contribute if needed. Two guys that contributed a lot last year and I believe will do the same this year are Kadren Johnson (SR – DE 6-1 242) and Fatafehi Vailea (SO – DT 6-1 282) . The two combined for 63 tackles and 5 TFL last season. I am sure we will see Defensive Lineman rotating frequently this season. I would guess these two will be the first two in the rotation after the starters.

Two that Could Surprise

Two guys that have been on campus but may have not produced much yet but could be ready to make big strides this year are Chris Wright (DE 6-3 230) and Enoch Jackson (JR - DT 5-11 301). Wright came to North Texas out of high school from THSFB powerhouse Aledo, while Jackson transferred in from Arkansas. I could see both Jackson and Wright usage and production both improving this upcoming season.

New Names

North Texas didn’t see as much roster turnover this offseason as most schools did. But North Texas was still able to add several new names along the defensive front. The new names that could contribute are Rodney Green Jr. (Jr - DE 6-3 270 Juco), Marcus Moore (JR - DT 6-0 303 Juco), Vic Alobwede (JR – DE 6’5 266 UMass), and high school signee Keith Smith (FR – DE 6-2 255 South Oak Cliff. Out of the trio of Green Jr., Moore and Alobwede North Texas will need at least one to step up and contribute. If more than one step up it will go along ways with the new defense and transitioning to new conference. All three have the size and experience of playing college football. Each has contributed at previous stops. Each has the potential to play day one.  We interviewed Green after he signed with North Texas. He is a bright guy and seems excited to get to work. Smith may not be able to go on day one. But his combo of size and speed is extremely impressive for a true freshman. Even if he redshirts this season Smith has a very high ceiling for his future at North Texas.

Overall Outlook

This group could have two of the biggest stars and talents on the North Texas football team this upcoming season in Brown and Richards. But this group does come with a lot of unknowns as well. How will first year DL Coach perform in his first season? Who steps up to be the third best defensive lineman? But even with the questions surrounding this group I believe it could be the group that surprises fans the most. This group is going to benefit from the number of bodies that will be able to rotate as well as this new defensive scheme having the ability to send rushers from multiple angles and different directions.

Links:

GMG Interview with Rodney Green Jr. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu62dbY9R8U

Great news.

• Upvote 4

I really think this group will surprise.

Brown and Richards will be very good, but I think you could include Vailea with Rausaw as a breakout player.

Please, I beg of you, no Pat McAfee impersonations.  He's bad enough by himself.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Marty said:

Kaghan Roach should be better with a season under his belt, at least he should  provide some depth on the DL.

I believe he is injured at the moment. That is the only reason I didnt list him. I dont know the severity or even what the injury is. So I have not timetable for his return 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Please, I beg of you, no Pat McAfee impersonations.  He's bad enough by himself.

200.gif

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Brown and Richards will be very good, but I think you could include Vailea with Rausaw as a breakout player.

I struggled with this to be honest. The only reason I listed Rausaw by himself is I feel he hasn't really brokeout yet. Vailea has already showed he can play on this level. I would not be shock one bit to see Vailea listed as a starter week one. 

• Upvote 2

I noticed Keith Smith's weight is down to 255.  Was that his actual weight at SOC and they over-reported or did they get him on a good nutrition plan, dropped bad weight and will now spend time filling him back out with good weight?

44 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I noticed Keith Smith's weight is down to 255.  Was that his actual weight at SOC and they over-reported or did they get him on a good nutrition plan, dropped bad weight and will now spend time filling him back out with good weight?

I believe it is a combo of both. I saw him in person last friday and he is a top notch speciman for true freshman

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I believe he is injured at the moment. That is the only reason I didnt list him. I dont know the severity or even what the injury is. So I have not timetable for his return 

Ouch, I noticed he was out during the spring but didn't realize he was still out.

6 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Right. Did we not want him? Signed with someone else? Wha happen?

Not sure, but we only use 3 DL now and have a crowded depth chart. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall as a walk on, or had a change of heart about playing college football.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I think this underestimates Enoch Jackson. Brown is a special player but I think Jackson has been a very solid contributor and is a solid backup for Brown. His stats are somewhat unimpressive but I don’t think people are going to run him over when Brown is getting a rest. 
Also think Vailea was mentioned by Gabe Blair as a tough guy to block so wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up starting. Also had much better stats that Rausaw last season despite having less experience (for example his senior hs season was cancelled). I think his ceiling is pretty high. 

(BTW I thought I posted this previously but was having connectivity issues here in Serbia, so also adding the below to justify my Vailea stance.)

From 247:

Defensive coordinator Matt Caponi has kept senior DL Mazin Richards, junior DL Roderick Brown and sophomore DL Fatafehi Vailea on his first team line predominantly. 

• Upvote 3