UNT Official NIL Fund Name

eagle73

17 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

According to the IRS, they’re “donations” anyway

Not necessarily. IRS is reviewing collectives. I would guess they will set rules on what should be label as a non-profit. Many probably won’t be. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/27/2023 at 8:18 PM, DeepGreen said:

Why would the collective stop taking donations?

I’ve wondered about this.  My limited understanding of the NIL is that it allows people/companies to pay players for use of their name, image, or likeness.  These collectives seem like an opportunity to just pay players for playing.   Doesn’t seem to align with the spirit of the NIL.  Once better governance is in place, I’ll bet players will have to show how their name, image, or likeness was legitimately used for the compensation.  I did arrange for a UNT Softball player to throw out a ceremonial first pitch at a baseball game.  My understanding is that she had to fill out NIL paperwork for doing that and included how we compensated her (game tickets for her, family, & friends).

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Venson said:

A few people talked about it, but nothing ever came of it.

Yes, I was one of them. Just too much grey area right now with starting an NIL fund (taxes). Unfortunately in my line of work, outside activities are heavily scrutinized as well (compliance). I'm hopeful we can get some type of fundraising activities for the athletes department started, but it needs buy in.

• Upvote 2

On 7/28/2023 at 3:18 AM, DeepGreen said:

Why would the collective stop taking donations?

I really don’t remember all the details from the article but I think they are shifting to a new model of working with companies. 

• Upvote 1

They've turned the organization over to TheLinkU, a group that runs the U of Houston collective. Appears they target businesses & corporations to get involved in NIL. According to the article in the DRC, the Houston collective ( LinkingCoogs) surpassed $4 mi!lion with 75% of the money coming from businesses that didn't previously support UH athletics.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 4

30 minutes ago, Marty said:

They've turned the organization over to TheLinkU, a group that runs the U of Houston collective. Appears they target businesses & corporations to get involved in NIL. According to the article in the DRC, the Houston collective ( LinkingCoogs) surpassed $4 mi!lion with 75% of the money coming from businesses that didn't previously support UH athletics.

My understanding is that this TheLinkU  group took UofH’s NIL from initially around $800k to north of 5 Million in a fairly short period of time.

• Upvote 4