UNT Softball Adds All-C-USA Player

2 hours ago, untcampbell said:

Another reason softball should be your favorite NT women's sport.

GMG

That's true but there will be a close second I predict.  Watch women's basketball also take off with the new coaches and some great additions to that team.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

FwLj2WEX0AcA79L?format=jpg&name=medium

UTSA's best player SS Kat Ibarra has transferred to UNT. Ibarra hit .368 and led the Runners in almost every offensive category. 

https://twitter.com/brettvito/status/1664831056518823937?cxt=HHwWgoC-7c7B1ZouAAAA

How many years does she have left?

18 hours ago, untcampbell said:

Another reason softball should be your favorite NT women's sport.

GMG

Softball is among my favorite sports... period. For me, it's right there with football and basketball. That's probably why I get so frustrated when they don't perform up to expectations. 

I like this move by DeLong. It shows that he understands next year's team has to be better at the plate and isn't just hoping the current roster improves. Competition for positions and playing time should be a strong motivator this offseason. I think Kat will hit leadoff for UNT just like she did for UTSA. I hope DeLong beings in a few heavy hitters too. 

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Upvote 4

On 6/4/2023 at 3:11 PM, Side.Show.Joe said:

Softball is among my favorite sports... period. For me, it's right there with football and basketball. That's probably why I get so frustrated when they don't perform up to expectations. 

I like this move by DeLong. It shows that he understands next year's team has to be better at the plate and isn't just hoping the current roster improves. Competition for positions and playing time should be a strong motivator this offseason. I think Kat will hit leadoff for UNT just like she did for UTSA. I hope DeLong beings in a few heavy hitters too. 

The thing is, is that most of the current team doesn't have to reach new levels of hitting.  Most hit much much better the season before last.

It was strange how much this team's overall  hitting fell last year with most of the same players.  Other than Simon, most players were much less effective at the plate.

Makes you wonder if there was a revised hitting strategy are something that just did not worki. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

She seems to be a better SS than we currently have. She could move, but having Simon move to another position would seem better.

Simon is currently the best player on the team, would tread lightly before moving her to another position.    If I remember correctly Simon's fielding issues were in the early season, and she finished strong.

The best fielding shortstop should play, both are also sure to be in the hitting lineup.  This is a very deep team and there should be a number of good position battles with the significant number of additions to the team. 

• Upvote 1

I agree and would be surprised to see her take Simon’s spot, especially with one year of eligibility left. I wonder if she has experience at second base, as Smith struggled at the plate this year?  We really need to up our offensive production. 

On 6/10/2023 at 7:26 PM, UNTLifer said:

I am trying to determine where she plays. 

Gamble (.316) & Simon (.311) are keeping their spots at 1st and SS. They are pillars of this team. Smith (.228) at 2nd, needs to hit for a better average, but she did finish second on the team with 9 homeruns. I think Ibarra (.368) would likely take 3rd away from Sparks (.214). At least that's how I figure it. 

Like a stated in a previous post, I really hope DeLong can find a couple of power hitters that can at least hit for average. 

Edited by Side.Show.Joe

13 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Gamble (.316) & Simon (.311) are keeping their spots at 1st and SS. They are pillars of this team. Smith (.228) at 2nd, needs to hit for a better average, but she did finish second on the team with 9 homeruns. I think Ibarra (.368) would likely take 3rd away from Sparks (.214). At least that's how I figure it. 

Like a stated in a previous post, I really hope DeLong can find a couple of power hitters that can at least hit for average. 

I hope he gives the players that give us the best chance to win at whatever position they can play the best. If Iberra is a better SS, move Simon to 2nd or 3rd. If she is a "pillar" of the team, she should be willing to play at whatever position the team needs. 

14 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I think they are counting on Sparks being a power hitter, but she struggled as a freshman.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2023 at 9:59 AM, El Paso Eagle said:

I hope he gives the players that give us the best chance to win at whatever position they can play the best. If Iberra is a better SS, move Simon to 2nd or 3rd. If she is a "pillar" of the team, she should be willing to play at whatever position the team needs. 

I don't believe in breaking things that work, and Simon was solid last season. But, the logical choice would be to move the player with the strongest arm to 3rd. 

One thing is certain. Kat didn't transfer here to ride the bench. That girl will start somewhere.

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Upvote 1