Grant Gunnell Enters Portal

TheReal_jayD

12 hours ago, greenminer said:

In the back of my mind, I have wanted to believe what you're saying, but then I saw this.  I don't think I'm seeing these kind of numbers anywhere else.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/36280712/montana-lemonious-craig-4-colorado-players-enter-portal

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

Here is more from today of Deion's policies not being the norm until called out....

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/36297854/colorado-give-transferring-players-access-practice-film

Ooh, let me be clear. I’m not endorsing a•ny•thing Deion Sanders does. He’s ultimately in the Coach Prime®️ business first and foremost, and that perhaps is the most transparent bit.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/split-zone-duo/id1532830225?i=1000610759994 (Or find on your podcast app of choice)

18:37-47:47 if you want the good stuff and 21:20 for the practice tape stuff in particular.

I just want to make the distinction that people have *more* of a problem when it’s flashy Prime doing things very publicly rather than the same things happening per the norm and on background with the guise of “respectability” through amateurism. It’s the underlying hypocrisy of a multi-billion dollar entertainment business that treats its best assets in the same bullsh- way a lot of massive enterprise does, only without appropriate W2 payroll. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

I just want to make the distinction that people have *more* of a problem when it’s flashy Prime doing things very publicly rather than the same things happening per the norm and on background with the guise of “respectability” through amateurism. It’s the underlying hypocrisy of a multi-billion dollar entertainment business that treats its best assets in the same bullsh- way a lot of massive enterprise does, only without appropriate W2 payroll. 

I think many people are taking offense that as part of the P5 agreement, ALL scholarships are good for four years and are not supposed to be pulled. Of course, it happens, but not in front of cameras where Deion's kids are streaming, and him openly pushing players out. Prime brings excitement whenever he goes, but he also does what he does for himself above anyone else.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

If he keeps the same kids, he'll get the same result that they have gotten the last 17 years.  That, we know for sure.  Just like Jackson State the program is already better than it was.  In two years when the program is restored and has a real chance to compete they will bounce Deion out on his but and give the job to one of the good old boys.  Wait in see.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

On 4/26/2023 at 5:43 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

I think many people are taking offense that as part of the P5 agreement, ALL scholarships are good for four years and are not supposed to be pulled. Of course, it happens, but not in front of cameras where Deion's kids are streaming, and him openly pushing players out. Prime brings excitement whenever he goes, but he also does what he does for himself above anyone else.

The talk about Gunnell devolving into a debate/critic about Coach Sanders reveals something disappointing about the few fans passionate enough to converse about in Spring.  Gunnell isn't going to Colorado.  Colorado nor JSU are on our schedule nor are we rumored to be in the same conference with them anything soon.  So Coach Sanders should be a footnote mention in this thread.  Illogical me came back to the this thread to see if there was an update on where Gunnell was going to.   If this is a reflection of most of our fanbase, I see why leadership isn't ambitious enough to get this program over the hump.  Everything positive for the profile of CU football that Coach Sanders is doing in Colorado would be on "former Dallas Cowboy" steriods at UNT in the DFW area if he was hired here.  If you don't want that then winning UNT football isn't high in your sports priorities.  Expecting any player with a 3-star pedigree and starts at a P5 school to sit on the bench at our mediocre program is foolish.   

On a related note we all we disappointed when Gumms our stellar TE left.  I want to ask all the Coach Sanders critics a question after they watch this clip about Gumms.  Fast forward to the 1:48 mark.  While he is he or even shortly after Coach Sanders departs a head coaching gig here do you think a player like Gumms is "under the radar" here and "more exposure" factors into to him leaving?   Only one fan had heard of Gumms in LK's audience.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

Feel a little bad for him with bad luck and injuries. Seems to have derailed him. But we shouldn't give a scholarship to our 5th string QB. The fact that he sat as the 2nd string QB all last season on the depth chart is mind blowing.

Edit: I guess this is also a hot take from a couple of the emotes? This seems pretty tame for me.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

2 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

Feel a little bad for him with bad luck and injuries. Seems to have derailed him. But we shouldn't give a scholarship to our 5th string QB. The fact that he sat as the 2nd string QB all last season on the depth chart is mind blowing.

On paper maybe but we all know that Stone was the real backup if Aune couldn’t go.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

I mean yeah, but Gunnell was technically our second string for all of last season. Just insane how bad the previous staff was at QB eval.

I don’t think they were that bad at eval. Jace and Stone both looked pretty good this spring.

Aune despite the maddening inconsistency set some program records.

I think quarterback development was far and away their biggest downfall when it came to quarterback. Littrell did get hoodwinked by Mark Stoops on Amani Gilmore and I wonder if he got the same treatment on Gunnell. Either way, before we saw him play just about every one of us thought he was our savior based on his history.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I don’t think they were that bad at eval. Jace and Stone both looked pretty good this spring.

I think quarterback development was far and away their biggest downfall when it came to quarterback. Littrell did get hoodwinked by Mark Stoops on Amani Gilmore and I wonder if he got the same treatment on Gunnell. Either way, before we saw him play just about every one of us thought he was our savior based on his history.

Littrell did his program no favors by not hiring a true QB coach after Harrell left, to evaluate and mentor the most important position on the team.  A team goes as it's QB goes.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Littrell did his program no favors by not hiring a true QB coach after Harrell left, to evaluate and mentor the most important position on the team.  A team goes as it's QB goes.

He did.   He actually hired 2 directly after Harrell left (Reeder & Joseph).

Both were abject disasters, and it took an OL coach & Quinn Shanbour to finally get the most out of Aune.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I wanted to see Gunnell early on because I wanted to see all of our QBs early on. I had no faith in Aune at the beginning of the 2022 season. My main point is that Gunnell was labeled QB2 on the depth chart all season and he's out, and our QB room is almost identical. That's what I'm talking about in QB evaluation and progression.

• Upvote 3

On 4/27/2023 at 3:44 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

He did.   He actually hired 2 directly after Harrell left (Reeder & Joseph).

Both were abject disasters, and it took an OL coach & Quinn Shanbour to finally get the most out of Aune.

Wither Tate “Mugshot” Wallis? His only QB take was a LB disguised as a QB, while he ignored FBS QB talent right under his nose.

Edited by Ghost of Tate
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1