Scrimmage #2 Thoughts and Updates

Okiefan

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

You mean the team that earned its way into the conference championship game? Say what you want about Littrell but most of those players are still here and they don’t deserve the disrespect.

Disrespect?  They don’t go to the conference championship game if CUSA had not abolished divisions.  They got a rematch against UTSA in the championship game because of it, only to get beaten worse in the rematch.  You do realize they finished the year below 0.500 against FBS competition? Only players don’t understand that is extremely short of what is good enough would think what I said was “disrespect”.   Being 0.500 is not the standard which is why Seth was let go. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, NWKGREEN said:

Good assessment in my opinion. Lol.  If you get the chance to know Jace you will find it had nothing to do with confidence or arrogance. Feel free to talk to him anytime you see him around. It had a lot to do with staff/ politics. Enough about that. He hs been getting very good reviews from this staff and really feels they speak the truth and he can trust them. Fair competition is all you can ever ask for and he feels that is what we have now.  

Politics, not shocking with the old regime. I'm glad we have a new staff and an actual QB coach now. Best of luck to Jace this spring/fall and let the best QB win the race.

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

35 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Disrespect?  They don’t go to the conference championship game if CUSA had not abolished divisions.  They got a rematch against UTSA in the championship game because of it, only to get beaten worse in the rematch.  You do realize they finished the year below 0.500 against FBS competition? Only players don’t understand that is extremely short of what is good enough would think what I said was “disrespect”.   Being 0.500 is not the standard which is why Seth was let go. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Yes if we still had divisions a team from the East that we were better than would’ve played UTSA in the champ game.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3

2 hours ago, NWKGREEN said:

Good assessment in my opinion. Lol.  If you get the chance to know Jace you will find it had nothing to do with confidence or arrogance. Feel free to talk to him anytime you see him around. It had a lot to do with staff/ politics. Enough about that. He hs been getting very good reviews from this staff and really feels they speak the truth and he can trust them. Fair competition is all you can ever ask for and he feels that is what we have now.  

Glad to know that he feels he’s getting a true opportunity to compete. I look forward to the QB’s pushing each other as the practices progress.  GMG!

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Ghost of Tate said:

What the heck has happened to Gunnell since the days he was a 4* from TAPPS, and played some his first two years under Sumlin at AZ? Overrated? Achilles changed him? Burnout?

I don't see Rogers transferring without being told it's his job to lose... But I'm encouraged by Ruder and Stone.

He was not overrated nor does he have burnout.  I would guess that his Achilles or some part of his leg is still bothering him.  He wore a boot much of his time at Memphis.  Hope that he can correct what's wrong with a new quarterback coach.  It could be that the leg has not healed properly or that he was not given the proper treatment to correct the problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

It appears Gunnell may have already fallen too far behind.  

Morris confirmed after the workout that he has cut the field of contenders by one. Ruder, Rogers, Stone Earle and JD Head will continue to see time.”

https://dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/mean_green/unts-defense-once-again-controls-scrimmage-as-ruder-rises-in-qb-race/article_3a2c2eff-c3d0-5534-94c4-70ab8cf16c57.html?utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR098XQ5CiIKOJYdeTg3-MPB2NCX0Nu0vmGELbwpRpbDgZ2wyqPPL-QnrOQ

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jace Ruder 

For whatever my opinion is worth, let me just say that, (as of yesterday's scrimmage) Jace Ruder is probably the best QB throwing the ball and he is also the best QB running the ball......when he chooses to do so. But the thing is that he just doesn't choose to do so that often. But when he does it's very impressive. I was bringing up that very subject to Hunter Green last week, when Ruder took a snap, and because of a sudden pass rush and no time to set up and throw, took off running. Before either of us could utter a word, Ruder had zipped between two DL's, and was about 25 yards down the field before the ref's blew the whistle to end the play.

Based on what I've seen last year and this spring. Jace Ruder is the most talented QB on the team. And that was the case last year...even more so than Austin Aune .....although many on this board think that that's a pretty low bar. He not only has the strongest arm, but his release/motion is both quick and effortless. I've already covered his running ability. 

So, what the hell happened last year that got him sitting on the bench? 

Did he lose confidence in himself? Was he arrogant and uncoachable?

I just know that raw ability was not the issue.

Thanks for that insight on Ruder.  I have not seen them in person, but from reports Rogers seems more like a run-first type QB than a passer.  Ruder appears to be a passer first, then run if needed type QB.  But at least he "can" run if needed, and well too, it seems from your report.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Thanks for that insight on Ruder.  I have not seen them in person, but from reports Rogers seems more like a run-first type QB than a passer.  Ruder appears to be a passer first, then run if needed type QB.  But at least he "can" run if needed, and well too, it seems from your report.

Then we are in a better position than I thought.  We have a “passer first, then run if needed” option, and a “run-first QB” who completed 67.7% of his passes against D1 competition.

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Then we are in a better position than I thought.  We have a “passer first, then run if needed” option, and a “run-first QB” who completed 67.7% of his passes against D1 competition.

I think Morris favors a running QB, it's what he had at UIW. 

Rogers has yet to flash his "great passing" during the scrimmages.   He was probably under extreme duress from the defense, causing his run-mode to kick in...

"Rogers was the first quarterback on the field for the second straight scrimmage but had limited opportunities to throw the ball and finished 2-for-5 for 8 yards with an interception."

Last season at ULM, Rogers had 145 rushing attempts for 607 yards.

Aune at UNT had 44 rushing attempts for 52 yards.

• Upvote 4