Softball Sweeps UTEP

11 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

UNT 6

UTEP 3

Final

There were some positives in this game. UNT played well on defense and as a team did a better job at the plate. The game really wasn't as close as the score. UTEP got a few late runs.

Game 2 will be tomorrow at 4pm on C-USAtv. 

Any young players that seem to stand out?  Seems like DeLong has benefited from a lot of Tracey Kees talent in years past.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

30 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Any young players that seem to stand out?  Seems like DeLong has benefited from a lot of Tracey Kees talent in years past.

Who are Kees players that you are referring to? The class that came in 2020 /21 are all Delongs players. There were 1 or 2 players last year that weren’t recruited and committed by Delong, and they made schools first tournament appearance. Even the year before more than half of them started as freshmen.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I just want to add that I got down to Denton this past Tuesday. While there I went by Voertman's and picked up a UNT Softball t-shirt. Since wearing this new shirt on gamedays we are now 2-0. Coincidence? I think not. Go Mean Green!!!

GMG.com needs to know... WHAT COLOR IS THE SHIRT???

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I’ve decided this is just a bit now. 

You know what Lifer, I am sick of your bullying on here.  I was simply pointing out that Coach DeLong's teams seem to be struggling more since the roster has been comprised of mostly his players as opposed to when he first got here and had inherited Coach Kee's.   I agree that most of Coach Kee's players are long gone now or transferred out.  Can I please remind you that you are not the boss of me and don't get to demean me by calling my postings a bit?  If you don't like my posts then please don't read or respond to them.   

• Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 3

The most successful team was last years team, which were his players. And there is only 1 player from that team not here this year.

15 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

You know what Lifer, I am sick of your bullying on here.  I was simply pointing out that Coach DeLong's teams seem to be struggling more since the roster has been comprised of mostly his players as opposed to when he first got here and had inherited Coach Kee's.   I agree that most of Coach Kee's players are long gone now or transferred out.  Can I please remind you that you are not the boss of me and don't get to demean me by calling my postings a bit?  If you don't like my posts then please don't read or respond to them.   

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Kee has not been here for years man.  Let it go.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Billy Crystal Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Seriously, I find it funny that you think this is bullying. You have posted that Delong’s success was due to McKee’s players a number of times. Each time I have asked who you are referring to and you never list these players. We have pointed out a couple of times that his most successful season was last year and none of those players were McKee’s, but you keep posting the comment that his success is due to her players. 
Considering you never list those players, I concluded this must be a bit. Now if you feel that is bullying, I would suggest a more durable set of epidermis. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Haha 4

• Side.Show.Joe changed the title to Softball Beats UTEP in Game 1 & 2
21 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I've been watching this team all season and we have a lot of young players. So, I only think of the freshmen, when I think of the young players. But, a few do stand out. Sparks has some skill at the plate, but is still adjusting to the college game. I don't trust Sparks glove at 3rd base, as much as I trust Donahoe's. Epperson is as good as they get in the outfield. She has the speed and reads the trajectory of the ball exceptionally well. The girl might have one error all season, and I don't recall her not getting to a ball hit her way. Even as a freshman, I think she is among the best defensive outfielder on the roster. Epperson also has impressive bat speed, but she is also adjusting to college pitching. She needs to be more patient and not swing at the high ones out of the zone. 

That's my take. 

• Upvote 1

UNT gets the sweep...

UNT 7

UTEP 3

Final

I missed the game. I had a prior obligation, but I was following the live stats. Glad the team got a confidence builder this weekend. 

Top performers....

Gamble went 2 for 4 at the plate with a homerun and 4 RBI's. 

Christianson went 2 for 3 at the plate.

Smith hit a homerun in 3 plate appearances today. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/7/2023 at 8:42 PM, Side.Show.Joe said:

I've been watching this team all season and we have a lot of young players. So, I only think of the freshmen, when I think of the young players. But, a few do stand out. Sparks has some skill at the plate, but is still adjusting to the college game. I don't trust Sparks glove at 3rd base, as much as I trust Donahoe's. Epperson is as good as they get in the outfield. She has the speed and reads the trajectory of the ball exceptionally well. The girl might have one error all season, and I don't recall her not getting to a ball hit her way. Even as a freshman, I think she is among the best defensive outfielder on the roster. Epperson also has impressive bat speed, but she is also adjusting to college pitching. She needs to be more patient and not swing at the high ones out of the zone. 

That's my take. 

Disagree with you point of a young team.   This is a very experienced team filled with players that started as freshmen and sophomores.  

This team despite beating a very bad UTEP, is just not playing up to their standards. 

They were much better last year and with 8 returning starters they are struggling this year.  This despite only having a 2 pitcher rotation last year.  Peters has close to the same ERA as last year, but is only 8-7 compared to 20-7 last year. Savage is just not having a good year up to this point.  

The problem is obvious with the exception of Gamble and a few others, the team is just not hitting.  Team batting average is .263 compared to .290 last year.  Errors and lack of timely hitting are areas that have to improve for this team to peak for the post season.  

It appears that the strategy of a tough OC schedule has backfired on Delong.  This is just not a confident team. 

Hopefully, they can get back to their high norm by tournament time.  

Just my observations based on watching most of the games, far from an expert; but it seems to me that this team has something negative going on that needs to be addressed. 

• Upvote 2