PIRATES PARADISE at UNT

33 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I have no problem if this is a one time deal to honor Leach, but will find it to be odd if this becomes a tradition.

Why?  Our 2 most recent coaches were both Leach disciples.  The man is a legend in a way that no one else at UNT other than Mean Joe was.  Seems like a good plan to use his name as much as possible to me.  Is it that you are not a fan of Leach or what?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Glory to the Green said:

I’m fairly certain it will become a yearly thing as long as Morris is here.  It builds excitement, the kids seem to like it, and  Morris is doing what he feels he needs to do to be successful. As the kids are saying, “Let him cook.”

I agree. This is a Morris’ thing and not a UNT thing. When Morris is hired away or fired, this will go away too.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Why?  Our 2 most recent coaches were both Leach disciples.  The man is a legend in a way that no one else at UNT other than Mean Joe was.  Seems like a good plan to use his name as much as possible to me.  Is it that you are not a fan of Leach or what?

It’s not that I am not a fan of Leach. I thought he was a pretty good coach and a better person but he has no ties to North Texas. Yes, Morris and Leach either played or coached with him but that was at other schools. I would like us to build our own identity and traditions. Building one off of a Coach that never set foot on campus seems odd to me. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

You want to explain that analogy?  Do you equate homecoming parades, bonfires, pep rallies, etc. with using a pirate emblem that has absolutely nothing to do with NT? 

No you do. We are losing the traditions that surrounded our sports.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

It’s not that I am not a fan of Leach. I thought he was a pretty good coach and a better person but he has no ties to North Texas. Yes, Morris and Leach either played or coached with him but that was at other schools. I would like us to build our own identity and traditions. Building one off of a Coach that never set foot on campus seems odd to me. 

This isn’t a North Texas tradition. This is part of the Eric Morris coaching strategy. This has zero to do with North Texas other than Eric Morris being our head coach. When Morris goes, so will the Leach carryovers. This is a silly thing to get in a fuss over. 

He quickly put the Cardinals to the test with “midnight maneuvers,” which he described as “mental toughness training.” Players ran through a series of conditioning drills, often at night in the January cold, learning as much about themselves as they did each other.

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/college_sports/local_colleges/article/Morris-thriving-in-first-season-as-head-coach-at-13415240.php

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

OK, what traditions are we losing?

What traditions are we losing, have lost or about to lose. Let's see, the football team at the local drive inns meeting and greeting the community, making sure the tower is lit after a win, placing yard signs around campus to remind students of the game , the homecoming parade , student group at basketball games, Scrappy, and on....

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, untphd said:

What traditions are we losing, have lost or about to lose. Let's see, the football team at the local drive inns meeting and greeting the community, making sure the tower is lit after a win, placing yard signs around campus to remind students of the game , the homecoming parade , student group at basketball games, Scrappy, and on....

The color of our uniforms, the symbols on them, our name, unt , meangreen , north texas........

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This is for Morris to honor Mike, not any school. Maybe we can see how it goes before we try to find something wrong.

It seems we complain about not having traditions, and when it looks like a coach might start one, people are looking for something to complain about. #OldDenton

I told you some sorry naysayers would find a way to whine about this instead of getting excited. 

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, untphd said:

The color of our uniforms, the symbols on them, our name, unt , meangreen , north texas........

1 hour ago, untphd said:

If you are talking about using gray and black in lieu of the school colors, I agree that needs to stop.

Was not aware the tower is not being lit after victories, that is just laziness by someone.

Scrappy is still around after an unsuccessful name change failed.

Why do you think the homecoming parade will not take place?  Student groups at basketball games, I assume you mean the old old days when frats and sororities attended in groups.  Not sure who can dictate where people sit or who with.  

Signs in the internet age might look good, but I doubt few are lured to a game because they saw a sign.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

2 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

I told you some sorry naysayers would find a way to whine about this instead of getting excited. 

Let me clarify. I am not upset about the event. Sounded like a fun event. Maybe it is a “Morris tradition” to honor his former coach but it should not be labeled a tradition of North Texas. Hope that clarifies my position.  
Either way, if it is an event that brings the team together then I am all for it. 

• Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

13 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Why do you think the homecoming parade will not take place? 

I believe the homecoming parade stopped a couple years ago.   Maybe because of declining participation or interest?  I think Yearbooks have stopped too.  

Is it just the current culture and part of the reason for attendance decline at games…. much of the student body doesn’t care about their school?

• Upvote 1