Game Speed/ Slow Starts

Hookset

I often read that the major complaint with our current coaching staff is that they can’t win against OOC teams. These are played at the start of the season. 
I then read articles like this and see honest quotes like this

“The game isn’t faster, but the players are far better,” Richards said. “That was something I overlooked.

“There were some growing pains, but I have adjusted.”

So many of our transfers are from JUCO’s and Div 2. Many have turned into good players and some like Mazin are excelling. But there still is a 3-4 game adjustment period before they are truly excelling. 

Many of our rivals (SMU, UTSA) are getting transfers from P5 programs. They are already used to the current game speed and have very little adjustments to make.

I hope if we can keep winning, maybe we will get more consideration for P5 transfers that are used to the game speed and then our OOC performance will improve.

Your thoughts?

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

I was talking to someone about this the past weekend.....what seems to be Littrell's strategy of brining in FCS players vs. P5 players. (I know he's brought in both)

I would argue that a starter, maybe multi year starter from an FCS program should be in better "game speed" shape than a P5 player that's been sitting on the bench for 2 years. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

20 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I was talking to someone about this the past weekend.....what seems to be Littrell's strategy of brining in FCS players vs. P5 players. (I know he's brought in both)

I would argue that a starter, maybe multi year starter from an FCS program should be in better "game speed" shape than a P5 player that's been sitting on the bench for 2 years. 

These are kind of my thoughts.  Real game experience is probably better than practice experience even at a "lower" level.     Unfortunately, we're probably not going to land many P5 starters or players with significant playing time.  Maybe we can get the P5 grad transfer that has another year, wants to get closer to home and the University has a degree program they are seeking.

• Upvote 3