Is the MWC Better for UNT

Hookset

I am not thrilled with playing the current MWC members and a lot of it has to do with perceived distance.     I remember the Big West days all too well.

However, with the weak CUSA leadership, it is becoming almost a necessity to try and leave.  The MWC is generally seen as the 7th most powerful conference out of 10.   If they were to expand and add UNT, UTSA, Rice and UTEP, I would be all for it.    We would still have Texas schools as travel partners, in a more stable conference (if there is such a thing).

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, akriesman said:

The MWC is generally seen as the 7th most powerful conference out of 10. 

I know you said seen, but I decided to take a look at RPI's...

Current MWC average rank is about 20 slots higher than AAC minus the schools leaving to the Big 12 (#74 vs #91). Even a few spots higher than the PAC 12, actually (#74 vs #82).

If you add UNT and UTSA to the MWC, the average rank stays the same (UTSA's current streak balances out our record).

If you add the talked about expansion teams to the AAC (UAB, FAU, Charlotte, and Marshall), they move up a few spots to #86, but they're still solidly behind the MWC as it stands in week 5.

Doesn't really mean much, but it was interesting to see just how badly the three leaving has affected the AAC. They go from an average rank of #78 to #91 overnight. Similar to what happened when the CUSA schools left for the Big East.

If MWC calls, we need to go.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 3

On 10/1/2021 at 9:23 AM, akriesman said:

If they were to expand and add UNT, UTSA, Rice and UTEP, I would be all for it. 

The only way they move makes sense in my opinion.  We need at least one additional Texas school in that reorganized MWC (not counting UTEP) and preferably a school in Louisiana, Oklahoma, or Arkansas.  While we are focused on Football don’t forget the more frequent weekday travel for the other sports.