DRC: Projecting UNT's starters -- the Mean Green have a host of new faces in new places

Brett Vito

This is good stuff

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm going to need to see a lot more out of Whitlock if he's gonna start over Stout or Thornton.

Completely agree. I’d throw Colvin in there as well. Colvin has played in 32 career games with 9 of those being starts and all he has to show for it is 2 career TFLs and half a sack. Meanwhile we have Mccrae getting looks at that 3-tech tackle spot, Enoch Jackson in from Arkansas, Tashoyn Johnson and Pickett in year 2, and Kalvin Hutchings in from JUCO, and Dayton Leblanc all as options. 

Last year with Bowen, the year before with Reffett, too many times we had dudes just giving no production and never really seeing any reduction in play as a result of poor performance. Too many options for that to happen again this year.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

I’m finishing up my graphic for starters, but was intrigued by the Mose move to RG. Seemed he was really solid at Center last year.

I think the other DT is between Jackson and Colvin. Hard to choose between the 2.

I also think Stout has a better upside than Whitlock, but who knows what they think.

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork

1 minute ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I’m finishing up my graphic for starters, but was intrigued by the Mose move to RG. Seemed he was really solid at Center last year.

I think the other DT is between Jackson and Colvin. Hard to choose between the 2.

I thought Mose was injured, so Carroll is filling in at C while he's out?
Where is the swap prognostication coming from outside of Brett mentioning it in his article above?

Don't count out LeBlanc starting at the other DT spot.  He has quite a bit of in-game experience now.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I thought Mose was injured, so Carroll is filling in at C while he's out?
Where is the swap prognostication coming from outside of Brett mentioning it in his article above?

Don't count out LeBlanc starting at the other DT spot.  He has quite a bit of in-game experience now.

I thought the same thing about Mose. 
But LeBlanc is a guy I would think rotates with Novil? Maybe Jackson and Novil are rotating and Colvin/LeBlanc rotate at the other spot. That kind of makes sense. Maybe even some Tyshon Johnson as well.

I guess you would have McCrae at DE for rotations?

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I thought the same thing about Mose. 
But LeBlanc is a guy I would think rotates with Novil? Maybe Jackson and Novil are rotating and Colvin/LeBlanc rotate at the other spot. That kind of makes sense. Maybe even some Tyshon Johnson as well.

I guess you would have McCrae at DE for rotations?

McCrae said he's moving inside.   He has his work cut out for him for sure.  I dunno if he'll see much PT moving in there.

• Upvote 3

OFFENSE

QB: Ruder -OR- Aune

RB: Adaway

WR: Shorter 

WR: Thompson -OR- Torrey

WR: Simpson 

WR: Bush

TE: Roberts -OR - Pirtle

LT: Turpin

LG: Brown

CN: Mose

RG: Carroll

RT: Brammer

DEFENSE

DE: Murphy

DT: Novil

DT: Colvin

DT: Murphy

LB: Nixon

LB: Davis

HYB: T. Davis

CB: J. Davis

CB: Whitlock -OR- Stout

FS: Sanders

SS: Gaddie

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

15 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Biggest surprise I see is former walk on Daizon Carroll as the projected starter at guard.  Keep in mind, Carroll was a big prospect coming out of Waco but I think he had a knee injury in high school or some such and it cooled wveryone off.

I think he was technically a blue shirt. Pretty sure he was on scholarship from the beginning but not 100% sure. Thought he and Redfearn were blue shirts because we didn’t have many spots that class.

Either way Carroll was the starter last year at right guard.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I think he was technically a blue shirt. Pretty sure he was on scholarship from the beginning but not 100% sure. Thought he and Redfearn were blue shirts because we didn’t have many spots that class.

Either way Carroll was the starter last year at right guard.

Yes, Carroll has been developed and turned into a highly productive player for us at OL. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Biggest surprise I see is former walk on Daizon Carroll as the projected starter at guard.  Keep in mind, Carroll was a big prospect coming out of Waco but I think he had a knee injury in high school or some such and it cooled wveryone off.

I tried looking for him on 24/7 but there is no mention of him. Any luck to see what other offers he had?

5 hours ago, Danish43 said:

I tried looking for him on 24/7 but there is no mention of him. Any luck to see what other offers he had?

https://247sports.com/Player/Daizion-Carroll-46040106/high-school-191477/

I believe the article stated that Carroll was being tried at center with Mose moving back to guard.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Wow, nicely done! Include Thompson and Adaway on Offense; Colvin and Whitlock on Defense and you've got it. 😀

Torrey was running with the 1st team a lot more mainly with the new receiving stuff he’s done more this year. I think Adaway is very talented and definitely gets a lot of reps, but not sure how it’s separated with Torrey.

Whitlock was even with Stout in my opinion. I picked Stout because I think he has a higher ceiling.

Other than that, I agree. 

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Lovely Take 1

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Torrey was running with the 1st team a lot more mainly with the new receiving stuff he’s done more this year. I think Adaway is very talented and definitely gets a lot of reps, but not sure how it’s separated with Torrey.

Whitlock was even with Stout in my opinion. I picked Stout because I think he has a higher ceiling.

Other than that, I agree. 

Excellent points! At RB, I foresee the Adaway / Torrey split similar to what the Cowboys do with Zeke & Pollard. Torrey bouncing from RB to slot WR will be interesting to watch. Although it sounds like we moved Dorian Morris to slot WR this week, and he's an absolute burner (his HS profile from our Roster page is below):

High School:
• Rated a 3-star recruit by 247Sports, Rivals and 247Sports Composite and a 2-star recruit by ESPN.
• Ranked the No. 147 athlete in the nation and the No. 236 recruit in Texas by ESPN.
• Ranked the No. 175 cornerback in the nation and the No. 230 recruit in Texas by 247Sports Composite.
• Ranked the No. 175 cornerback in the nation and the No. 223 recruit in Texas by 247Sports.
• As a senior, played in only six games and had eight solo tackles, six assisted, eight passes defended and one interception.
• Also competes in the 100-, 200- and 400-meter dashes, 4x100, 4x200 and 4x400 relays in high school.
• Recorded at 4.45 seconds in the 40-yard dash and 10.69 seconds in the 100-meter dash according to HUDL.

• Received offers from SMU, Navy, Louisiana Tech, Houston Baptist, Liberty, Tulane and Texas State.

• Upvote 2