This is not Reffett's fault

Coach Andy Mac

23 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

The 3-3-5 is basically saying the DBs aren’t good enough so they have to put another LB to help in coverage. It works for good teams with good DCs unlike here.

No, the 3-3-5 is for people who can't keep a rotation of NT/1Techs, and who tend to recruit db/lb tweeners.  Good athletes but either a little small to be great LBs or a not have the coverage skills to be a shutdown island guy. 

Cover db's are incredibly rare, the only thing rarer than them is effective interior linemen.  When those guys are identified, they get swept up by p5s. 

The 3-3-5 is supposed to take those tweeners and put them in a system that causes mass confusion to the offense.  Except we seem to line up in it and then play conventional schemes and then use not enough pressure, and not have it come from different angles, which has not worked at all.

6 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

No, the 3-3-5 is for people who can't keep a rotation of NT/1Techs, and who tend to recruit db/lb tweeners.  Good athletes but either a little small to be great LBs or a not have the coverage skills to be a shutdown island guy. 

Cover db's are incredibly rare, the only thing rarer than them is effective interior linemen.  When those guys are identified, they get swept up by p5s. 

The 3-3-5 is supposed to take those tweeners and put them in a system that causes mass confusion to the offense.  Except we seem to line up in it and then play conventional schemes and then use not enough pressure, and not have it come from different angles, which has not worked at all.

The problem is, we have to keep dropping that 4th & 5th attacking LB back into coverage underneath because our CBs/NBs have to leave a cushion to keep the WRs in front of them... because they can't cover in man... because they're not very good.   In watching KD Davis, he has the same skills/speed/recognition as EJ, but EJ had weapons in front of him in Tauaalo/Young/Hambone, and cover CBs behind him, freeing him up to be a wrecking ball.   Right guy at the right time.

I don't think the scheme is bad... re: coach Reff isn't bad.
But he can't just keep pounding on this square peg, because it's not going to fit in the round hole.  He has to be able to work with the talent we DO have, and come up with scheme tweaks to make it effective.  That just hasn't happened.  And that's the problem I think most have with Reff... at least, that's the problem I have with him.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

We had 18 interceptions last year, we have been very highly ranked in turnovers for 3 years now and this season, along with the ability to rush the QB with a timely blitz, those kind of numbers are nowhere to be found.

We all saw this defense last season, at times they were dominant. At times they imposed their will and we forced a hell of a lot of turnovers. This years results have to be a combination of talent dropoff, stubbornly sticking to the same scheme and not tweaking it, CUSA coaches figuring said scheme out and exploiting weaknesses and a little bit of bad luck.

With all that said I would like to see Yellock and Ref go. I just don't trust their ability to evaluate talent.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And we're positive this is being coached into them?   Or are the players just blowing it?

Coach Jennings: "Hey, when you're covering someone, just make sure your eyes are looking at their chest the whole way... then when you see their arms go up to attempt a catch, flail your arms around wildly and run through the receiver."
Coach Reffett: "Yeah, if I see anyone turn their heads to look for the ball and attempt to make a play, I'm benching you."

That makes no sense.

There's a big difference between telling someone to do something and teaching someone to do something.

• Upvote 2