CUSA Bowls Confirmed

MattMakesLoans

4 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Remember when Southern Miss went 11-2 and chose the Hawaii bowl over other options?  Their fans gnashed their teeth and clenched their fists, but eventually the next season came along.  And now they are playing in the Independence Bowl ahead of a team that beat them in the regular season.  Maybe they were on to something

Without all the extra drama, lagniappe & tommyrot from my fast stroking keyboard,  with me it's still & has always been all about our Mean Green football team.

These bowl negotiaters can poke us in the eyeballs all day long but don't freakin' screw with our football team & coaches,  dammit!

GMG!

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

SMU to Frisco Bowl..LOL!

UTSA to the living room with chips and hot sauce bowl...ROTFLMAO!

Rick

Looks like Carlton Maxwell has his new book.

From the National Championship to the Living room: The Story of the 2017 NutsaCK Roadrunners.

4 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

Whoa...hold up...Some fans actually want to play Florida State? 

I know FSU is having a down year and all, but did yall see the FAU games and how we look against a team with athletes and speed?

Please stop it. 

I was just going to say this. You want to watch a repeat of the first game vs FAU this season? 

I think it came down to the CUSA title game. NT wins and would be playing FSU in the Independance Bowl. The loss hurt more than we thought it would...

Edited by Got5onIt

4 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

No doubt. Here's how it works, ACC and FSU tell Independence Bowl who they'd be willing to play against. FSU travels insanely well. They weren't going to play LaTech or North Texas and possibly have less fans and end the season with a losing record. It's what I've been saying. It's not North Texas' fault. It's not CUSA fault. It's not the players' fault. It is the system. For the same reason UCF goes undefeated and can't get respect or any hope of being in the playoffs. The power 5 conferences control when, where and who they will play, IF they will play a non power 5 team. Especially now when the Power 5 almost never fills all their bowl slots. They basically say, some bowl isn't getting a Power 5 team. If you try to match FSU up against FAU, we'll send Florida State to Bowl X and you won't have a power 5 team. I am in awe of of how are fans would rather blame the players, the coach, the AD, the conference, other fans, etc. The system gives ALL the decision making power to the Power 5 schools. 

Lol.  No way.    FSU/ACC does not have that clout & C-USA/Indy Bowl Committee would EASILY pull their card if they tried that, because guess what?!? You don’t take this contractually-obligated bowl invite, & you’re essentially pulling a LATech & choosing to stay home.   Hoping more details emerge about the back room negotiations around that bowl & the complete lack of balls it appears the C-USA office has.

WB came out & said he wanted this bowl without actually saying it.  I know he told the CUSA office he wanted that bowl...  yet here we are, playing with fire against Troy, rather than playing with house money in the bowl game we wanted.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

I was just going to say this. You want to watch a repeat of the first game vs FAU this season? 

I think it came down to the CUSA title game. NT wins and would be playing FSU in the Independance Bowl. The loss hurt more than we thought it would...

FAU would Motor ALL OVER FSU.  That game would be an easy win for FAU.

23 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Lol.  No way.    FSU/ACC does not have that clout & C-USA/Indy Bowl Committee would EASILY pull their card if they tried that, because guess what?!? You don’t take this contractually-obligated bowl invite, & you’re essentially pulling a LATech & choosing to stay home.   Hoping more details emerge about the back room negotiations around that bowl & the complete lack of balls it appears the C-USA office has.

WB came out & said he wanted this bowl without actually saying it.  I know he told the CUSA office he wanted that bowl...  yet here we are, playing with fire against Troy, rather than playing with house money in the bowl game we wanted.

Okay, I'm gonna bite on this. If that logic is true, then why isn't FAU playing Florida State? Their AD has let it be known they wanted that much. Answer that Mr. All Knowing.  The attitude of a handful of uneducated know it alls on this board is really something.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Curious about Indy's thought process here. If you believe what we've heard. Our AD would've taken this bowl. 

So why did Indy pick USM over us? Will they bring that many more people?

No, they wouldn't bring more than UNT.  

Wonder how many hours from Shreveport is Hattiesburg?   From DFW it's not so far. NO's adds hours of drive time for those of us who will not fly. (A bad flight experience from DFW to Hobby stopped my flying days years ago). 

1 hour ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

I will take New Orleans over Shreveport any day. Have you been to Shreveport? One time Virginia went to Independence Bowl and it was snowing, and when it wasn’t snowing, it was raining, hard. So even better the indoor stadium!

It is kind of known for having bad weather.  I doubt it will be real bad this year unless the weather starts changing quite a bit pretty soon.

26 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

Okay, I'm gonna bite on this. If that logic is true, then why isn't FAU playing Florida State? Their AD has let it be known they wanted that much. Answer that Mr. All Knowing.  The attitude of a handful of uneducated know it alls on this board is really something.

Because FAU struggles with butts in seats. 

41 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

Good gravy, it’s not a simple line.   There are moving parts when it comes to bowl selections.   For the Indy Bowl, NT checks all of the boxes.   Unfortunately, FAU has a GLARING hole they cannot fill in the eyes of the Indy Bowl, & that is butts in seats.  Something Bowl committees care about... ALOT.  Although, I’m sure you’re right, Kiffin & Co probably wanted it badly.

If C-USA had a backbone they could have made either game happen.   Would have pissed off the Noles & probably the Indy bowl as well, but you’ve gotta be able to negotiate that.

instead of sending a premier team from your conference to take on FSU, you send your 4th/5th best.  Dumb.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Good gravy, it’s not a simple line.   There are moving parts when it comes to bowl selections.   For the Indy Bowl, NT checks all of the boxes.   Unfortunately, FAU has a GLARING hole they cannot fill in the eyes of the Indy Bowl, & that is butts in seats.  Something Bowl committees care about... ALOT.  Although, I’m sure you’re right, Kiffin & Co probably wanted it badly.

If C-USA had a backbone they could have made either game happen.   Would have pissed off the Noles & probably the Indy bowl as well, but you’ve gotta be able to negotiate that.

instead of sending a premier team from your conference to take on FSU, you send your 4th/5th best.  Dumb.

But Indy didn't "need" CUSA. Remember a CUSA team got left out. So did two other other teams. And the primary bowl tie is with the ACC not CUSA. So the Indy bowl is going to keep ACC and their team happy. They have no reason to cater to CUSA. Basically, CUSA was desperate to get teams in. My guess is ACC and Indy got together and said okay, we'll take USM.

2 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

But Indy didn't "need" CUSA. Remember a CUSA team got left out. So did two other other teams. And the primary bowl tie is with the ACC not CUSA. So the Indy bowl is going to keep ACC and their team happy. They have no reason to cater to CUSA. Basically, CUSA was desperate to get teams in. My guess is ACC and Indy got together and said okay, we'll take USM.

And if Bammer doesn't get an invite to the CFP, the SEC is able to fill the slot and we are probably not having this discussion.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

C-USA is the contracted “alternate” for that bowl, in case either ACC/SEC cannot fulfill their obligations.  CUSA could have made either FAU or UNT happen if they bowed up.

6 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

And if Bammer doesn't get an invite to the CFP, the SEC is able to fill the slot and we are probably not having this discussion.  

True.  That invite is what opened the door for the team’s ideal matchup but someone (have no idea who...) blew it.

14 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Wait I thought Sun Belt is beneath us, so why should we be scared of playing little old Troy. 

IMO Troy is a better match-up than FSU, who has speed and the athletes and our coaches have shown they have no idea how to combat the speed of more talented teams. At least Troy is/was getting Top 25 votes recently versus a 6-6 FSU team with a chip on their shoulders due to their coach bolting.

8 minutes ago, untbowler said:

Wait I thought Sun Belt is beneath us, so why should we be scared of playing little old Troy. 

IMO Troy is a better match-up than FSU, who has speed and the athletes and our coaches have shown they have no idea how to combat the speed of more talented teams. At least Troy is/was getting Top 25 votes recently versus a 6-6 FSU team with a chip on their shoulders due to their coach bolting.

SBC being beneath us is the perception.   I certainly hope that perception is proven reality, even though Troy is a very good team.

FSU is a giant mess right now.  Are you sure they'd have a chip on their shoulders?  Or would they be ready to fold if UNT (now USM) were to punch them in the mouth early on?   USM is the team that gets to find out.

Meanwhile, I certainly hope the Mean Green players are ready for a very-capable Troy team to also come out swinging.