10 Wins

Cerebus

14 hours ago, Cerebus said:

North Texas has a chance to accomplish something it has never done before.  Get to ten wins in one football season.     

13 hours ago, untcampbell said:

Didn't Fry have a 10-1 season (1977?)....this was before my time as a fan but I think so. It may have been aided/achieved by a forfeit.

9 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

So the O.P. needs to be edited to read "for only the 3rd time in its 104-year history."  It still would be an amazing accomplishment.  We're getting quite a bit ahead of ourselves on this one, though.  Let's revisit this after win 9, should another game remain after that.

18 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

So the O.P. needs to be edited to read "for only the 3rd time in its 104-year history."  It still would be an amazing accomplishment.  We're getting quite a bit ahead of ourselves on this one, though.  Let's revisit this after win 9, should another game remain after that.

did I read it wrong? We did have a 10 -2 in 1947 with Odus Mitchell .

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

I'm pretty sure it was. 

People from the MSU athletic department called NT and told them NOT to hire Tyler. For some reason, the pro-athletics group decided he was the best fit and used all the political capital to get him hired against all odds. I have NEVER understood why. 

Word was that Bob Tyler had letters of recommendation for our HFC's job from Bear Bryant & Darrell Royal.  Guess our Athletic Committee could not ignore those 2 heavyweight's approval of Tyler.  Here in Texas we call that the Coach's good ol' boy network.  There are none stronger.

11 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

http://cfbinfo.com/team/north-texas-mean-green/1947

1947?

And I think we could go 11-3 mathematically anyways

Oh yeah, The Salad Bowl season...One of our New Years Day bowl games.

gallery_1221_3_31095.jpg

Only a few of these Gameday Souvenir Programs are known to survive....One at the University of Nevada, One in the Notre Dame college sports archives, one with a collector in California, and of course..............mine :-)

• Upvote 3

Now that is pretty cool 

17 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Oh yeah, The Salad Bowl season...One of our New Years Day bowl games.

gallery_1221_3_31095.jpg

Only a few of these Gameday Souvenir Programs are known to survive....One at the University of Nevada, One in the Notre Dame college sports archives, one with a collector in California, and of course..............mine :-)

7 hours ago, southsideguy said:

wasn't that game when the mississpi dl man jumped on Jordan Case back while he was on the ground causing him a back injury?  The was the cheapest shot I have every seen in game.

Jordan Case was not the starter that year, Kenny Washington was. I think it was oft-injured Washington that they jumped on and injured.....yet again. Jordan Case was the back-up that year. Now, later

it became well known while Case was still playing at North Texas that he had a congenital back problem that caused him to be in constant pain. But it was never said that getting injured in the Miss St. game was the cause. Coach Jerry Moore, who introduced weight training to the program put Case on a weight lifting regiment to help with the issue. 

Here is the coaches film of the game showing Kenny Washington as the starter. There are four reels. The first two are Miss St. on offense, and the last two are NT on offense. You can make out Kenny Washington's number (19) and I think I could make out the fullbacks number (Fred Gordon #24). You can also make out the number of our great safety J.T. Smith (#44) who later had a long career in the NFL as a WR. He never played receiver while at NT.

https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc272198/

5 hours ago, ttunt1970 said:

Tyler was mentally unbalanced and the people who okayed should"ve had their heads  examined!

I agree with this statement......mostly about the people who okayed his hiring.

However, I have to give Bob Tyler credit for a great assessment of the North Texas program. After the Oklahoma St. game (played at the Cotton Bowl) he mused to a reporter that he didn't understand North Texas and their fan base. He said something like "they have a large alumni base, a large student body and the best band in the southern hemisphere.....what the hell is the matter with those people ? Why don't they come to games?" 

And, as I've mentioned many time before, when Bob Tyler applied for the job, one of the other applicants was Corky Nelson. So we could have had Corky Nelson a year earlier. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

Jordan Case was not the starter that year, Kenny Washington was. I think it was oft-injured Washington that they jumped on and injured.....yet again. Jordan Case was the back-up that year. Now, later

it became well known while Case was still playing at North Texas that he had a congenital back problem that caused him to be in constant pain. But it was never said that getting injured in the Miss St. game was the cause. Coach Jerry Moore, who introduced weight training to the program put Case on a weight lifting regiment to help with the issue. 

Here is the coaches film of the game showing Kenny Washington as the starter. There are four reels. The first two are Miss St. on offense, and the last two are NT on offense. You can make out Kenny Washington's number (19) and I think I could make out the fullbacks number (Fred Gordon #24). You can also make out the number of our great safety J.T. Smith (#44) who later had a long career in the NFL as a WR. He never played receiver while at NT.

https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc272198/

I agree with this statement......mostly about the people who okayed his hiring.

However, I have to give Bob Tyler credit for a great assessment of the North Texas program. After the Oklahoma St. game (played at the Cotton Bowl) he mused to a reporter that he didn't understand North Texas and their fan base. He said something like "they have a large alumni base, a large student body and the best band in the southern hemisphere.....what the hell is the matter with those people ? Why don't they come to games?" 

Pretty good questions still 35 years later...

"they have a large alumni base, a large student body and the best band in the southern hemisphere.....what the hell is the matter with those people ? Why don't they come to games?" 

I can't recall too many marching bands in the southern hemisphere, so he may be right. That said, North Texas has a pretty good marketing program. I would like to see us pursue the answers to the two questions, along with a third: "What would you like to see that would get you to come see a game?" And maybe another: "If you don't provide financial support to your school, regardless of department, why not?"

Ask as many people as will answer.

My guess is it has something to do with the historical commitment the University gives to athletics, or "UNT was where I got my degree after transferring from the program I follow (grades, money ran out, life happened, etc)." But there are probably 200,000 other reasons.

GMG

• Lovely Take 1

15 hours ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

Don't forget about justifying a loss where you give up 69 points as a "let down"  or trap game!!  Awesome!

We follow our team closely here.    Close enough to see a poor lack of effort as what it is.

Take care of FIU and we'll see you guys again on 12/2.   I think you'll be shocked at what happens as we'll look like a completely different team.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

Don't forget about justifying a loss where you give up 69 points as a "let down"  or trap game!!  Awesome!

Everybody welcome the one fan from the FAU fan board.  You'll have to forgive him as he tires of talking to himself on the "owl's nest" or whatever they call their board.

http://www.thehootfau.com/fau-desperately-places-cardboard-cutouts-lane-kiffin-fill-stadium-seats/

lane-kiffin-carboard-cutout-fau-satire-cut-out-football-stadium-empty.jpg?resize=777%2C437

• Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We follow our team closely here.    Close enough to see a poor lack of effort as what it is.

Take care of FIU and we'll see you guys again on 12/2.   I think you'll be shocked at what happens as we'll look like a completely different team.

At least there's a decent chance you'll kill us by less.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Everybody welcome the one fan from the FAU fan board.  You'll have to forgive him as he tires of talking to himself on the "owl's nest" or whatever they call their board.

http://www.thehootfau.com/fau-desperately-places-cardboard-cutouts-lane-kiffin-fill-stadium-seats/

lane-kiffin-carboard-cutout-fau-satire-cut-out-football-stadium-empty.jpg?resize=777%2C437

Now that's a pretty funny piece right there.

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

At least there's a decent chance you'll kill us by less.

Now that's a pretty funny piece right there.

I noticed they put the "Tiny Lane Kiffins" up in the higher seats.  I bet they get pissed when the "Normal Sized Lane Kiffin's" stand up.

On 11/6/2017 at 10:38 PM, KingDL1 said:

did I read it wrong? We did have a 10 -2 in 1947 with Odus Mitchell .

No, you didn't read it wrong.  That was our record in 1947.  Although that was a year of the 10 game schedule you were allowed to play an 11th game if it was against a service team.  This was a carryover from playing army and navy installations during World War II.  We played Brooke Army Medical Center that year and beat them 44-0.  We were 10-1 during the regular season, losing only to Arkansas (12-0).  We also lost to Nevada in the Salad Bowl in Phoenix.

My first time ever to attend a North Texas game was during that season.  I had just moved to Denton from Louisiana for my senior year.  I saw the homecoming game against Houston which we won 33-0.  There were about 12,000 in attendance in a stadium that supposedly held around 10,000.  I was a part of the SRO crowd.  North Texas had about 5,000 students and Denton's previous census was about 12,000.  The highways to both Dallas and Fort Worth were 2-lane death traps so not very many attended from either.  Sad, but if had continued to have that percentage of support from both the college community and the city we might very well be in the Big 12.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I saw the homecoming game against Houston which we won 33-0.  There were about 12,000 in attendance in a stadium that supposedly held around 10,000.  I was a part of the SRO crowd.  North Texas had about 5,000 students and Denton's previous census was about 12,000.  The highways to both Dallas and Fort Worth were 2-lane death traps so not very many attended from either.  Sad, but if we had continued to have that percentage of support from both the college community and the city we might very well be in the Big 12.  

So true on your last sentence, Jack, and that a prime reason we who have been around all this for half a century or more get so damn frustrated with the UNT athletic program no matter how many new faces who've worked in it ,  but who can't seem to come up with group promotions programs to hustle up significantly new fans. 

💚 ATTENDANCE?  It's a challenge up there that neither school officials or civic leaders in its home city seriously want to tackle.  A problem that annually rears its ugly head & one that always seems to throw a wet blanket on any other semblances of success we'd have in any football season.  

💚 We'll lose good coaches who will always mention attendance as one of the reasons it made it easy for them to leave Denton. 

💚 Not sure I know of or have ever known any other similar program in the NCAA that has our enormous constituency that has stayed almost the same in the attendance department for as long.

💚 Most of our past we've so settled for less that it's become an easy habit.  (We are not worthy)? 

💚 Demand nothing--get nothing, but on the subject of attendance we need to double demand someone finally start tackling this  problem that has kept UNT athletics from advancing into better conferences like so many of our former conference-mates of decades-past.  

❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓❓

Question:  If the MWC suddenly had a great P5'esque TV package, became a coveted commodity & wanted a Texas presence, who would they pick?  Would it be a 7 year old NCAA football program like UTSA who (like them or not) acts Big Time based solely on who they have (impressively) scheduled as home games in the Alamodome in the last few years or..........a 100+ year old football program like UNT who was "promised" a home schedule of impressive P5 schools like UTSA's once Apogee was complete? 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen