DRC: UNT's defense dominates first scrimmage of fall practice

Brett Vito

1 minute ago, emmitt01 said:

Years when our defense has dominated the Fall have typically been the most successful 

While this may be true typically, for having a coach that's known for his explosive and productive offenses, it's quite concerning if the defense is dominating every single day.

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

The concern shouldn't be on SL... It is on the OL and QB

Very much so. I have a feeling we'll gonna see another heavy dose of the same two plays over and over again until the OL can gel. Our offense will become very one dimensional if we can't let these pass patterns develop and Fine is going to miss more time due to holding onto the ball too long and running 10 QB draws a game.

While it's nice to hear there are deep passes being thrown in practice, when it comes to actual games, I don't think we'll see those passes without the OL significantly improving

• Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Very much so. I have a feeling we'll gonna see another heavy dose of the same two plays over and over again until the OL can gel. Our offense will become very one dimensional if we can't let these pass patterns develop and Fine is going to miss more time due to holding onto the ball too long and running 10 QB draws a game.

While it's nice to hear there are deep passes being thrown in practice, when it comes to actual games, I don't think we'll see those passes without the OL significantly improving

We will always be limited until we can develop a long ball threat.  Honestly despite them trying a few times I didn't see many signs of that today.  You are absolutely correct that our oline is not able to give enough time to allow these type of plays develop. But we also need to have better routes and more precision deep passing.   I truly hope that changes.  

36 minutes ago, THOR said:

so we've got 19 ols on scholarship and there are not 5 serviceable ones? that ain't good folks

How many of them are from SL/GH?? This is a young group and you can not have enough quality OL, we have seen this first hand. 

They have gotten 3 Jucos (Henson (not sure he was an SL get), Moses, Pahinui), 1 Grad Transfer (Mayfield) and now 4 2018 commits, plus 5 from 2017 (Parish, Spoon, Moses, Brammer, Newman), oh and Anthony from the 2016 class

9 of those 10 haven't even played a down for this staff... 

You really need to redshirt every single one of your oline men and we haven't been able to do that. Guys like Jordan Murray would have benefitted so much from a redshirt year but Mac left such  a damn mess we had to play him right away.   So if we intend to move our program to the next level we need to load up on quality o-linemen  until we have a good base to work from.  I commend the staff for realizing this and implementing the plan.

4 hours ago, Harry said:

We will always be limited until we can develop a long ball threat.  Honestly despite them trying a few times I didn't see many signs of that today.  You are absolutely correct that our oline is not able to give enough time to allow these type of plays develop. But we also need to have better routes and more precision deep passing.   I truly hope that changes.  

There are a couple of young WR's in Darden and White who are absolutely deep threats. We saw White drop one and catch one today. Bussey and Guyton can be as well. Just need to protect long enough to let these route schemes develop and have some time to throw these.

3 hours ago, Huff said:

Traditionally the defensive side of the ball gels quicker than the offensive side.   This is not anything to be concerned about yet.

Agreed. Plus, the aggression and complexity of our defense is tough to block. As camp progresses, we should see stronger offensive line play.

• Lovely Take 1

White and Darden, I would love to see them RS and see him just develop in the weight room. 

We got Guyton, RICO, Smiley, Jackson at outside WR among others, with Duhon/Griffen/Lawerence at the slot. 

I agree with @Harry, we have to RS these OL. I would set it up for the Freshman OL just focus on the weight room and then Langston coaches them on there own as a group. We have plenty of other OL that can be used on gameday.

----------

Did anyone see Evan Johnson, the RB from Louisiana? Wanna hear about how he is doing and how he looks size wise too.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Did anyone see Evan Johnson, the RB from Louisiana? Wanna hear about how he is doing and how he looks size wise too.

I didn't but I wanted too.  I couldn't stay for the entire scrimmage and there is a lot to soak in at one time.  If anyone else did would be interested to hear about him and anyone else.