'18 QB Kason Martin(Manvel, TX)

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Kid is not the C-USA Offensive POY.   Remember, Fine is a lock to start next year.

I mean, you're not serious  ... are you?

I'll put it a better way. Here's hoping Martin, Bean, and Pearson can push Fine to be a better starter.

Having 4 quarterbacks is having no quarterback, but healthy competition never hurt anyone

• Lovely Take 2

49 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Kid is not the C-USA Offensive POY.   Remember, Fine is a lock to start next year.

I mean, you're not serious  ... are you?

Yes Fine had a good year, and improved. still to many sacks, and cold spells. 

The idea that a kid comes in and is an auto RS is hilarious after what happened to Mason.. all of us should be glad to have Martin coming in the spring, because of the lack of QB depth..

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Yes Fine had a good year, and improved. still to many sacks, and cold spells. 

The idea that a kid comes in and is an auto RS is hilarious after what happened to Mason.. all of us should be glad to have Martin coming in the spring, because of the lack of QB depth..

So if Mason were to go down, Shanbour is trash compared to Martin & Bean  ... let alone an already-redshirted Pearson?

When you are starting your conference's offensive POY at quarterback, yeah, you tend to pretty much guarantee a redshirt.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

So if Mason were to go down, Shanbour is trash compared to Martin & Bean  ... let alone an already-redshirted Pearson?

When you are starting your conference's offensive POY at quarterback, yeah, you tend to pretty much guarantee a redshirt.

Where did I say Quinn was trash? I’ve called for playing Quinn in the blows out to avoid Fine from getting injured. 

Pearson and Martin both have proven 0 to us...

I agree it’s a likely redshirt, but the idea and what I was saying was hoping he can come in and challenge for the job.. The better Martin is, that makes Fine, Quinn, etc better.. 

10 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Where did I say Quinn was trash? I’ve called for playing Quinn in the blows out to avoid Fine from getting injured. 

Pearson and Martin both have proven 0 to us...

I agree it’s a likely redshirt, but the idea and what I was saying was hoping he can come in and challenge for the job.. The better Martin is, that makes Fine, Quinn, etc better.. 

It's insinuated when you're thinking that a guy will come straight in and "push for" or "challenge for" the starting QB job... meaning he would leapfrog all of these other guys and actually cause Harrell & Littrell to question Fine's status as a starter.  

Fine's challenge for the next 2 years is to better himself and not get injured.  The other guys will not be competing for his job like Shanbour was this past spring/fall.   Fine needed that this year.  Now, as an all-conference/POY guy, he has nothing to prove to his coaches/teammates anymore.   And if any kind of QB competition is manufactured, it will be for the backup job to push Shanbour, as Fine is now the de facto leader of the entire team.  "Challenging" that is detrimental to the team as a whole.   

I would recommend Pearson, Bean (if he even plays QB here) & Martin all soak up as much as they can from Mason Fine & Quinn Shanbour (who's coaching career I will be watching closely, as I see big things for him in that avenue).

There will be no "challenge" for Mason Fine's job.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's insinuated when you're thinking that a guy will come straight in and "push for" or "challenge for" the starting QB job... meaning he would leapfrog all of these other guys and actually cause Harrell & Littrell to question Fine's status as a starter.  

Fine's challenge for the next 2 years is to better himself and not get injured.  The other guys will not be competing for his job like Shanbour was this past spring/fall.   Fine needed that this year.  Now, as an all-conference/POY guy, he has nothing to prove to his coaches/teammates anymore.   And if any kind of QB competition is manufactured, it will be for the backup job to push Shanbour, as Fine is now the de facto leader of the entire team.  "Challenging" that is detrimental to the team as a whole.   

I would recommend Pearson, Bean (if he even plays QB here) & Martin all soak up as much as they can from Mason Fine & Quinn Shanbour (who's coaching career I will be watching closely, as I see big things for him in that avenue).

There will be no "challenge" for Mason Fine's job.

Martin and Pearson have gotten the same number of reps in a College, 0.. Quinn has thrown only a handful of passes and has been basically a snap and hand it off.. I have wanted Quinn to get reps as much as anyone else on here.. So the idea I’m calling for him to be leapfrogged is hilarious.. Martin is a quality QB and maybe the best we have recruited (a number of people have questioned the staff decision on Bean).. 

The idea that Fine will never have competition again is shocking.. We should be wanting kids challenging him to make himself better, the team and the heir to the QB spot...

The idea he doesn’t have anything to prove is hilarious.. he still needs to Prove he can be win a championship, go out and out UNT on the map.. You are settling on 2nd place, cold streaks, and a few blowouts a year.. Yes he took a step forward, but he should take another step ahead and he will only keep doing that with himself being challenged..

• Confused 2

29 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Cold spells?  65% completion rate, 3,700 yards, 28 TD's.  Interesting take.  Sacks?  Our OL needs to continue to improve.

Fine can still get the ball out quicker and make better decisions passing the ball.. 

cold spells, you know like SMU when they had 6 scoring drives and we didn’t do anything after we were up 10 points.. FAU being down HUGE at halftime.. 2nd half vs Iowa.. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Fine can still get the ball out quicker and make better decisions passing the ball.. 

cold spells, you know like SMU when they had 6 scoring drives and we didn’t do anything after we were up 10 points.. FAU being down HUGE at halftime.. 2nd half vs Iowa.. 

I believe the cold spells no only had to do with Mason but also with so many young players on offense.  Getting the offense to be more consistent withing games will help out our defense as well. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

It's not hilarious. It's realistic. When Fine came in, he was essentially one of two scholarship QBs. Martin will be one of five, with three having seniority over him including the first team all conference QB. 

Not only that, but if you give Martin the number two job in the scenario in which he wins the backup job, you're likely going to get a transfer from both Cade Pearson and Jason Bean, which obviously hurts your depth down the road. 

When we replace Fine in 2020, I expect the coach (whoever he is) to not name the starter until a week or two before the season opener. Coaches almost never name starting QBs during the spring anymore, when there is no incumbent or if there are two with equal experience. This is to prevent transferring, or at least delay it as long as possible, so there can be adequate depth at QB.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 3

2 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I believe the cold spells no only had to do with Mason but also with so many young players on offense.  Getting the offense to be more consistent withing games will help out our defense as well. 

Totally agreed, but you saw him plenty in the championship game get happy feet and not look downfield.. The point I was making is Martin maybe the most talented QB we have recruited in a long time... He has it all in terms of height, weight, manageable speed and has been in this system, and great accuracy as well.. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Totally agreed, but you saw him plenty in the championship game get happy feet and not look downfield.. The point I was making is Martin maybe the most talented QB we have recruited in a long time... He has it all in terms of height, weight, manageable speed and has been in this system, and great accuracy as well.. 

Bc he had 4/5 guys within inches of ripping his head from his body every snap.  OL couldn't even give the standard 2.6 second pass pro. 

• Lovely Take 2

12 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Bc he had 4/5 guys within inches of ripping his head from his body every snap.  OL couldn't even give the standard 2.6 second pass pro. 

Yes he was rushed on some.. and others he had time and threw a bad pass, believe he did that on the INT he threw in/near the endzone.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

43 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

You are nitpicking thenyoung man that was the conference POY.  SMH

It’s because he can still improve and he will improve when he is challenged by adding talented guys like Martin.. That is why it’s great to have Martin coming in early.. he can learn the system early and challenge the other QBs.. 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

It’s because he can still improve and he will improve when he is challenged by adding talented guys like Martin.. That is why it’s great to have Martin coming in early.. he can learn the system early and challenge the other QBs.. 

I don't know why you're not understanding...

Of course Fine can improve.   
Heck, Aaron Rodgers could always improve.  But he's not going to be "challenged" by anyone during his improvement.   He's going to improve on his own.

The QB situation at UNT is very similar to the QB situation at Green Bay.   One QB has COMPLETELY separated himself from the rest of the pack.

No other person will be challenging Mason Fine to improve or challenge him for his job.   That struggle is entirely internal now.
giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I don't think he's saying that Fine sucks, but I think he's overrating Martin's ability to come in and push anyone as a true freshman.

Trust me, I hope he does. But it's not realistic.

Kind of like us thinking Fine was going to be perfect last season as a true Freshman? There is a reason very very few kids come in as true freshman at QB and are actually ready to lead their teams.  The game is so much different, regardless of where they played HS ball.

3 hours ago, Aldo said:

I don't think he's saying that Fine sucks, but I think he's overrating Martin's ability to come in and push anyone as a true freshman.

Trust me, I hope he does. But it's not realistic.

Martin may have the best skill set and all around ability of all the QBs this staff has signed.. Him coming in during the Spring will give him a leg in terms of development going into the fall, on top of him playing in a very skilled HS division as well.

4 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Martin may have the best skill set and all around ability of all the QBs this staff has signed.. Him coming in during the Spring will give him a leg in terms of development going into the fall, on top of him playing in a very skilled HS division as well.

Every skill player he's playing with is going P5. You don't think that has anything to do with it?

7 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I'm not saying he's a bad player, but I think if he had the same numbers with guys who were going D2/FCS it'd be a lot more impressive from his standpoint.

Just funny we discount Martin (because of his supporting cast).. Teams are only as good as their QBs allow them to be, and having Martin coming in early is good for everyone.. 

39 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Just funny we discount Martin (because of his supporting cast).. Teams are only as good as their QBs allow them to be, and having Martin coming in early is good for everyone.. 

I agree.  Playing with better players *could* make a player look better than he actually is but that's hard to do with the quarterback position.  Also, players become better when playing with better teammates. Iron sharpens iron.

As an example, my daughter is a freshman in high school and playing a lot on the varsity of a 5A school.  Her playing ability has improved tremendously during the season so far.  That's partly due to playing against better opponents but maybe more so from playing and practicing with her varsity teammates.  If Martin is playing with a lot of talented guys then that should make him a better player for it.

I'll admit I had my doubts about not only Fine but the entire offense coming into the season.  Fine greatly exceeded my expectations and we can feel good about having a quality quarterback for the next two seasons to come.  In his very little playing time Shanbour has shown a little something-something and if he needed to fill in for a game I'd feel good about it.  I'm really glad all of these quarterbacks coming in appear to have the talent to continue after Fine graduates but none of them have played a down of college football yet.  For all their talents we have no idea if they have the leadership, mental ability, or quick decision making ability required to play at this level.  However, I do feel good that of all these quality recruits at least one or two will turn out to be a quality starter and backups for us when Fine and Shanbour are gone.