MGB: Hedlund signs extension

Brett Vito

9 hours ago, untbowler said:

so he now has 4  more years to actually win a tournament game. Nice to get to the tournament, but it is high time to take the next step.

Agree, NT needs to take the next step to be an elite soccer program.   However, it is very hard to fault the coach of easily the best program at NT.    

However, I really don't like giving out long term contracts when unnecessary.     

For y'all even slightly hinting that the extension is not deserved due to a lack of NCAA success...

What other UNT programs have been consistently ranked over the past decade (and I'm not talking being in the upper-90's in CFN's "Top 130", I'm talking respected publications)?   For a while there, JJ had the b-ball team ranked in the mid-major top 25, and coach Stracke had his Ortiz/Cazoubon team ranked, but that's about it.
Coach Hedlund's teams pop up in rankings just about every year while beating some big programs regionally.

It's absolutely deserved.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

For y'all even slightly hinting that the extension is not deserved due to a lack of NCAA success...

What other UNT programs have been consistently ranked over the past decade (and I'm not talking being in the upper-90's in CFN's "Top 130", I'm talking respected publications)?   For a while there, JJ had the b-ball team ranked in the mid-major top 25, and coach Stracke had his Ortiz/Cazoubon team ranked, but that's about it.
Coach Hedlund's teams pop up in rankings just about every year while beating some big programs regionally.

It's absolutely deserved.

Agree. Completely deserved extension. Also in the last few years UNT got hosed at least twice by the "local" seeding in the NCAA where they had an away game against an underseeded opponent. That kind of thing will not changee with another coach. Coach Hedlund keeps giving himself and the team opportunities, and eventually they will take advantage. Unless UNT or donors are gonna spring for a really big name in womens soccer, there is no reason whatsoever to change gears here, and I feel the AD has way bigger construction sites.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Agree. Completely deserved extension. Also in the last few years UNT got hosed at least twice by the "local" seeding in the NCAA where they had an away game against an underseeded opponent. That kind of thing will not changee with another coach. Coach Hedlund keeps giving himself and the team opportunities, and eventually they will take advantage. Unless UNT or donors are gonna spring for a really big name in womens soccer, there is no reason whatsoever to change gears here, and I feel the AD has way bigger construction sites.

Not to mention, there's no telling what might have happened with the Tech game in the opening round of the 2015 tourney if the most dominant goalie we've ever seen here (and a sure-fire NT HOF'er), Kerestine, doesn't get hurt pregame.   I mean, what does that do to a team when your anchor is yanked away from you just before the biggest game of the year?   .... and they still hung tough for a 1-0 loss.   Tech was the Big12 champ that year, btw...    Does anyone think any of our other programs could hang tough with a respective big12 champion counterpart?

• Upvote 4