Please please please

GMoney

Just now, UNTFan23 said:

People might come to one or at best two games after Benford is let go but if the team gives up and we're constantly getting beat by 20+ against the bottom half of the conference, I still think we'll only have 100 or so show up for the final home game.

If we keep losing we'll only have 100 or so show up anyway.  There is still no benefit to keeping him that I see, and for sure you will drive away some fans by keeping him.  And, like I said before selling a few ticket more isn't worth the long term cost.

So besides possibly selling a few less tickets to barely attended games... what is a real, significant benefit of keeping TB through the end of the year?  

5 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

If we keep losing we'll only have 100 or so show up anyway.  There is still no benefit to keeping him that I see, and for sure you will drive away some fans by keeping him.  And, like I said before selling a few ticket more isn't worth the long term cost.

So besides possibly selling a few less tickets to barely attended games... what is a real, significant benefit of keeping TB through the end of the year?  

I feel like letting Benford go is waving the white flag and we lose all possibilities of having a chance to win any more games this season. The Florida twins are the next best shot at getting a conference win, followed by UTEP (who has managed three straight wins) and Southern Miss.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

Just now, UNTFan23 said:

I feel like letting Benford go is waving the white flag and we lose all possibilities of having a chance to win any more games this season. The Florida twins are the next best shot at getting a conference win, followed by UTEP (who has managed three straight wins) and Southern Miss.

First, I disagree that the team will tank.  I think it's much more likely that they will get a lift.  Bad teams usually rejoice in the fact that the losing can be shifted to the fault of a coach, not themselves.   I think the teams under Chico did better than if you had kept Dodge or Mac through that season.  

Even if they do somehow do worse (they are losing all their games now, what is the risk, they lose games they aren't even scheduled for?), is winning a meaningless game or two at the end of a season worth the signals sent to your fans and possible fans?  IMHO no. 

8 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Keeping Benford is way more waving the white flag and giving up than making a change. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

34 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

It's generally thought as poor form to be engaged in a search with a coach still under contract. If WB is doing that then it's yet another mistake.

No, it is poor form to announce or let it be known that a coaching search is going on to replace a coach on contract; it is done all the time.  If Baker is not actively looking for a replacement, I would have a lot more problem with that than when he finally terminates Benford.   

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

1-19 on the road.

Did you know that? F_U ain't wins.

2 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

I really don't understand all this angst.....and, I am speaking in generalities, not at any one post or poster.  Wren Baker told everyone when he would evaluate Coach Benford and that was after the end of the season.  So far, in things he has done since arriving, he has shown to be a man of his word.  So, it looks like the evaluation will come at the end of the season.  Is what it is no matter how one feels pro or con.  Both Wren Baker and our new COO, Jared Moseley, are "basketball guys".  They have experience and know the game and love the game.  I really think they will evaluate the season and the previous ones after the season concludes.  Whatever happens at that point will be up to the parties involved and will be, in the opinion of the said parties involved, in the best interest of the program at UNT.  We can relax and see how this pans out.  In the meantime, it would probably be a nice gesture to support the players and coaches.  No one likes to lose, no one gets used to losing and no one tries to create a losing program.  Tough for the Mean Green these days, but we can all remember when it was tough to support the football program through its losing period.  That seems to have turned around in most people's opinions.  The basketball program will as well.

Guess what. Circumstances change. Going 0-8 in conference with the real possibility of pulling a conference 0-fer would cause this change at any FBS program. Except UNT.

There is a reason UNT is what it is athletically and is the butt of jokes in the college athletics world in Texas. It's on full display in this situation. To alumni, to recruits, to competitors, and to students (also known as future potential donors). You ever wonder why there is a culture on UNT campus of making fun of the athletics teams? Well, here is your answer. If UNT doesn't care, why should they?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

2 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

Going to have to disagree here. If they know and love the game they wouldn't have Benford in charge.

Opinion....going to have to disagree with yours.  You and everyone else were told how this would be handled.  They did not say after the season "unless this or that happens".  They said after the season.  The season is winding down...count the games left and come or don't come.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Let's be honest. Wren has been evaluating from day one. He just isn't saying it. He said he would evaluate at the end of the season and he is honoring that in name only. I think the die has been cast and Wren is doing all of the preliminary work on the hire now. As soon as the horn sounds at Marshall Benford is out the door and Baker will be on the fast track to the new coach. Expect it to be a very short list. Five more weeks.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

My wife and I recently decided to buy a fire extinguisher for the house this summer.  Figured it would be a responsible move.  Last night we left a candle burning and awoke to the livingroom curtains on fire. 

That extinhusher is gonna come in real handy in July!

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

We saw last night where the team is still fighting to win games. I think letting Benford go before the end of the season and we'll see even worse losses. With Benford I feel it can't get any worse. Without Benford I feel it can.

Are you saying that without Benford we might go -1 and 19 in conference?

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Green P1 said:

My wife and I recently decided to buy a fire extinguisher for the house this summer.  Figured it would be a responsible move.  Last night we left a candle burning and awoke to the livingroom curtains on fire. 

That extinhusher is gonna come in real handy in July!

I've been a fan of watching your house for the past 17 years.    I hate to break this to you like this, here on an internet message board, but your house has been on fire since 2012.   I honestly can't believe it has not been consumed already.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

We can relax and see how this pans out. 

I get that some here simply can't do that, and I add that I think it would be a problem for UNT if they could. They can't relax because they are fans of UNT athletics. Fandom is not about being relaxed, its about being fanatic (wherefrom the word fan comes). If a person can stomach a whole season of his team winning without visible enthusiasm, then that person is not a fan of that team. Someone who can stomach a whole season of losing without having an unrelaxed emotional reaction about what they think is causing it, they are probably not a fan either. An avid follower and an interested party maybe, but not a fan.

Having a wait and see attitude in uncertain situations is reasonable and even fans may be/ should be capable of it. But I would guess that most posters here feel that the uncertainty when it comes to TBs qualities as a BBall head coach does not exteend beyond the question of whether his reign at UNT is a dumpster fire or a burning landfill.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

It's generally thought as poor form to be engaged in a search with a coach still under contract. If WB is doing that then it's yet another mistake.

It would be another strike against WB for me. 

Do it the right way. Fire the mega loser coach. Search for a new one. 

So, with 99.9% of the coaches we would be approaching already under contract, what is our benefit of firing Benford now?  Why was the La Tech game such a critical date?  You all that think WB is a failure because he hasn't pull the cord yet aren't making any sense to me.

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

BTW, please note that you can disagree with someone without calling into question their intelligence or fanhood.  So @UNTFan23, @UNTLifer:

2FNHWnX.png

Where did I question someone's fanhood or intelligence?

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Opinion....going to have to disagree with yours.  You and everyone else were told how this would be handled.  They did not say after the season "unless this or that happens".  They said after the season.  The season is winding down...count the games left and come or don't come.

"Captain, there is an iceberg dead ahead!"

"Steady as she goes and full steam ahead. Maintain the given course as preplanned."

"But Captain, we will hit the iceberg and possibly sink! Passengers could die!!" 

"Look, our bosses gave us a pre-planned course. It's a good course, and we will not vary, no matter any new information we receive! Now, bring me my brandy!!" 

Jeez... Makes me think Benford's lack of halftime adjustments is a cultural issue.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

17 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

"Captain, there is an iceberg dead ahead!"

"Steady as she goes and full steam ahead. Maintain the given course as preplanned."

"But Captain, we will hit the iceberg and possibly sink! Passengers could die!!" 

"Look, our bosses gave us a pre-planned course. It's a good course, and we will not vary, no matter any new information we receive! Now, bring me my brandy!!" 

Jeez... Makes me think Benford's lack of halftime adjustments is a cultural issue.

Gee...a playwrite as well.  Who knew?  I am constantly amazed that with your ability to tell everyone else what they should do, what their opinion should be and your total disdain for any opposing view or opinion on anything whatsoever, that some university has not snapped you up to be their AD.  To have such passion to be the only possible opinion that matters should have been noticed by some university by now.  You must be a complete joy to work with on any sort of project.  If Wren only had your insight.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Just now, KRAM1 said:

Gee...a playwrite as well.  Who knew?  I am constantly amazed that with your ability to tell everyone else what they should do, what their opinion should be and your total disdain for any opposing view or opinion on anything whatsoever, that some university has not snapped you up to be their AD.  To have such aassion to be the only possible opinion that matters should have been noticed by some university by now.  You must be a complete joy to work with on any sort of project.  If Wren only had your insight.

And I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that your opinion exactly mimics that of the AD you have worked so hard to suck up to.

So, I guess we are even.

Unlike you, I'm not an AD employee or shill. I express opinions many times opposite of the AD. Opinions that have proven to be right on some key issues.

meanwhile, you have never once contributed an original thought.

Way to go personal. Again. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

8 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Gee...a playwrite as well.  Who knew?  I am constantly amazed that with your ability to tell everyone else what they should do, what their opinion should be and your total disdain for any opposing view or opinion on anything whatsoever, that some university has not snapped you up to be their AD.  To have such passion to be the only possible opinion that matters should have been noticed by some university by now.  You must be a complete joy to work with on any sort of project.  If Wren only had your insight.

This!!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

And I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that your opinion exactly mimics that of the AD you have worked so hard to suck up to.

So, I guess we are even.

Unlike you, I'm not an AD employee or shill. I express opinions many times opposite of the AD. Opinions that have proven to be right on some key issues.

meanwhile, you have never once contributed an original thought.

Way to go personal. Again. 

Just proved the point for the umpteenth time.  At least you are consistent.  Got to hand it to you for that.  it's OK.  We know.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2