Strategy Question

Caw Caw

Seth obviously isn't willing to wait to get closer to the scholarship limit. He and the staff feels like they need more players now. With the in-season attrition, and the attrition that happens with a coaching change, depth was clearly and issue. Have we gotten any comments on the staffs recruiting strategy from them? Have they given us insight into the bigger picture? Maybe, in the paper version of the DRC or the NT Daily I missed the part where someone has asked the coaches these questions and gotten a little insight? It seems during recruiting season, in a season we're taking an unusual amount of blue shirts, having some coverage of that sort of thing would happen. We can speculate but i'd like to get something from the staff. The only staff I know who's ever taken more is last years South Alabama. They took 14.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

Seth obviously isn't willing to wait to get closer to the scholarship limit. He and the staff feels like they need more players now. With the in-season attrition, and the attrition that happens with a coaching change, depth was clearly and issue. Have we gotten any comments on the staffs recruiting strategy from them? Have they given us insight into the bigger picture? Maybe, in the paper version of the DRC or the NT Daily I missed the part where someone has asked the coaches these questions and gotten a little insight? It seems during recruiting season, in a season we're taking an unusual amount of blue shirts, having some coverage of that sort of thing would happen. We can speculate but i'd like to get something from the staff. The only staff I know who's ever taken more is last years South Alabama. They took 14.

Year before Justin Fuente took over Memphis was 2-10. I think this is similar to the blue print Seth and co are going off of.

Memphis 2012 Football Commits (41)

• 247Sports Composite Ranking
  • Natl Rank: 92
  • AAC Rank: 10
  • Avg Rating: 0.7404
  •  

Memphis 2013 Football Commits (44)

• Natl Rank: 89
  • AAC Rank: 11
  • Avg Rating: 0.7556

Memphis 2014 Football Commits (25)

• Natl Rank: 78
  • AAC Rank: 7
  • Avg Rating: 0.7809

Memphis 2015 Football Commits (33)

• AAC Rank: 4
  • Avg Rating: 0.7887

• Upvote 3

Just now, Caw Caw said:

Let me rephrase, is there a better blueprint to follow in your opinion, given the facts of UNT's situation? Memphis would be a respectable level of achievement over the next few years if the turn around continues.

I mean this year Memphis is #1 is 247 AAC recruiting rankings and coming off third straight bowl. If we look up 6 years from now and can say the same thing for UNT I think we would be happy.

• Upvote 7

That 2012 class had 6 three stars, and was ranked 11th. Last year they went 8-5, the season before, 9-4 and 10-3. The recruiting has improved year over year each class getting better under Fuente. Memphis also runs a "system" offense. Of course give me as many 3-4 star kids as we can get, but clearly there is a process right? I'm interested in seeing how this all plays out.

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I mean this year Memphis is #1 is 247 AAC recruiting rankings and coming off third straight bowl. If we look up 6 years from now and can say the same thing for UNT I think we would be happy.

Memphis is an excellent comparison, and you had better believe that Littrell and Fuente are friends and talk quite a bit. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Memphis is an excellent comparison, and you had better believe that Littrell and Fuente are friends and talk quite a bit. 

The guy they have there now Mike Norvell is a big time recruiter.  He tutored under Todd Graham at ASU who could sell ice to an eskimo.  Memphis is already good but they are poised for greatness with Norvell. 

interesting OU board discussion on the both of them here:  http://www.landthieves.com/board/showthread.php?99107-Congrats-to-Sooners-Justin-Fuente-and-Seth-Littrell

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

The guy they have there now Mike Norvell is a big time recruiter.  He tutored under Todd Graham at ASU who could sell ice to an eskimo.  Memphis is already good but they are poised for greatness with Norvell. 

interesting OU board discussion on the both of them here:  http://www.landthieves.com/board/showthread.php?99107-Congrats-to-Sooners-Justin-Fuente-and-Seth-Littrell

Fuente had tough duty and Memphis and he turned it. Now, as you put it, Norvell can build on that. Littrell's time at UNT is similar to Fuente's, although McCarney's record was better than what Fuente inherited. Interestingly enough, Wren Baker was at Memphis during years 2 and 3 of Fuente's tenure and can identify comparisons.

Point being is that both Fuente and Littrell inherited tough gigs and these early recruiting classes are instrumental in establishing the foundation for the future. 

Edited by UNT Mean Green

23 minutes ago, Harry said:

Why did you send me there Harry, that was a depressing thread. A quick "terms applied to North Texas guide": Bottom of the barrel, dumpster fire, dead end, coaching graveyard etc. Yikes. Long way to go, but we can do it.

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Year before Justin Fuente took over Memphis was 2-10. I think this is similar to the blue print Seth and co are going off of.

Memphis 2012 Football Commits (41)

• Natl Rank: 92
  • AAC Rank: 10
  • Avg Rating: 0.7404
  •  

Memphis 2013 Football Commits (44)

• Natl Rank: 89
  • AAC Rank: 11
  • Avg Rating: 0.7556

Memphis 2014 Football Commits (25)

• AAC Rank: 7
  • Avg Rating: 0.7809

Memphis 2015 Football Commits (33)

• AAC Rank: 4
  • Avg Rating: 0.7887

Are you using this example because they had upward of 40 recruits those two seasons? Because we will still only have 25 or so at most. I don't know Memphis' situation here, but I know those aren't all blue shirts that were looking to take up a scholarship the next year. 

The numbers game is fine, to see what will stick...but we aren't getting numbers and still diminishing our scholarships for next year. 

The model we have avoided is one much more successful than Memphis & that is the Boise State model.

Norm Hitzghes on his top rated radio show once asked after Apogee opened: "Why not North Texas as the next Boise State?"  

(If you set low goals you will likely meet them).

GMG! 

PS: If UNT signed 3 additional recruits with 3 stars how quickly would that put us in the CUSA top 3 classes?  Never say never.  

❓What if 5 of our 2 star recruits got coached into 3 star quality their true or RS freshmen year?  

➡️ So many variables that could turn chopped liver into chicken salad.

Proceed recruiting experts.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen