DD named OC at Memphis

Marty

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenNC said:

Nice try man, I loved JQ when he played here but he didn't even make the list for most receiving yards in a season. The only reason he has the most yards in school history is because he is the only receiver I can remember that started for four consecutive years.  Look at the passing attempts from Scott Hall every year, that's straight up embarrassing. Once again he had great receivers and tight ends but his stubbornness in refusing to throw the ball got him deservedly fired.

Oh, you said no receiving records were set while Dickey was here, and I pointed out a couple  So, the 2016 Factbook is wrong?  Quinn doesn't hold the record for receiving yards?  It's got him right up there in the #1 spot.  Other receivers have had 500+ yards receiving in a season, but UNT hides them? 

Hmmm.  Why would North Texas lie like that in a Factbook?

Let's play this the other way around as well:  rushing records. 

The career rushing yards leader at UNT is Lance Dunbar, who was recruited by Todd Dodge.  So, because Dodge's offenses had more pass attempts than rushing attempts, is Lance Dunbar not the all-time rushing leader in UNT history?

Just because Lance stuck around and managed to earn a starting spot for four years, like Johnny, Dodge's input to the offense really means nothing?

If sticking around and starting for four years doesn't count in record books, what does?

columbo-quote-one-more-thing.jpg

• Upvote 1

Oh, there have been 19 players who have finished their careers with over 1,000 yards receiving in UNT history, they were recruited by

Dickey: 4
Dodge: 4
Simon: 3
Mitchell: 3
Rust:  2
McCarney: 2
Fry: 1

That's amazing for a guy so married to the run to have tied in recruiting the most receivers who, somehow, ended up being the most productive WRs in UNT's history.

Also, when you compare Dickey to the guy he's tied with in recruiting 1,000+ yard career receivers, you can note with one is still coaching at the FBS level and the other is back coaching high schools. 

I wonder why it is that Dickey, supposedly so married to a 20th Century-style of offense, continues to find employment at the highest college level of play, while a supposed offensive innovator gets stuck back in high school.  Can't figure it out. 

columbo1.jpg

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Oh, you said no receiving records were set while Dickey was here, and I pointed out a couple  So, the 2016 Factbook is wrong?  Quinn doesn't hold the record for receiving yards?  It's got him right up there in the #1 spot.  Other receivers have had 500+ yards receiving in a season, but UNT hides them? 

Hmmm.  Why would North Texas lie like that in a Factbook?

Let's play this the other way around as well:  rushing records. 

The career rushing yards leader at UNT is Lance Dunbar, who was recruited by Todd Dodge.  So, because Dodge's offenses had more pass attempts than rushing attempts, is Lance Dunbar not the all-time rushing leader in UNT history?

Just because Lance stuck around and managed to earn a starting spot for four years, like Johnny, Dodge's input to the offense really means nothing?

If sticking around and starting for four years doesn't count in record books, what does?

columbo-quote-one-more-thing.jpg

Dude, openly admit I jumped to conculusions on the record thing. However, the only fact JQ is holding that record is because he played in far more games then any other receiver. And to answer your question yes many North Texas receivers had over 500 yards receiving a year, there not hidden they are in your very own fact book(strange comment). As a matter of fact Casey Fitzgerald probably would be the all time leader in receiving if he got to start about two more games. And yes Lance was great and one of the reasons he was great is because he played in a Dodge Offense that at least tried to keep the other team honest. If you think DD was a great play caller your football IQ is questionable at best. Any way I've said my piece! 

21 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Glad you like him.  Glad he is yours.  Glad he has changed his offensive philosophy....because when he was here it was B-O-R-I-N-G football and very offensive to most fans.  Like Silver said...you did not have to be at Fouts during a game to know exactly what play was coming and when. It was that BAD!  Until he called us all MF'ers I thought he was a pretty nice guy.  Took us to bowl games when we lost pretty much every OCC game and then cleaned up within the absolute worst and weakest conference in D1 ball.  If he had not changed his philosophy, Memphis would have run him off years ago.  Like I said...glad he changed...glad he is yours....glad you like him.  I wish him well...he is a very good assistant coach.

Just to explain a little further, Memphis wants to become a 'cradle of coaches'...Fuente was 35 with no experience as HC, Norvell was 34 with no experience as HC, when Norvell leaves I bet we hire Chip Long (our former co-OC who is now OC at Notre Dame) as HC, and he's only 33. When you're dealing with first time head coaches, it's nice to have a top level asst who's spent 9 years as a head coach, taken his team to bowl games, and been named conference coach of the year. That sort of experience makes for a valuable asset to young first time head coaches.

Edited by gomemphistigers1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, gomemphistigers1 said:

Just to explain a little further, Memphis wants to become a 'cradle of coaches'...Fuente was 35 with no experience as HC, Norvell was 34 with no experience as HC, and when Norvell leaves I bet we hire Chip Long (our former co-OC who is now OC at Notre Dame) as HC, and he's only 33. When you're dealing with first time head coaches, it's nice to have a top level asst who's spent 9 years as a head coach, taken his team to bowl games, and been named conference coach of the year. That sort of experience makes for a valuable asset to young first time head coaches.

Hey man I think your spot on! The running of the program he was fine with, just don't ask him to run an offense or manage a game. Memphis has used him in an advisory roll for a few years now. The OC title is just a formality. DD doesn't touch the play calling.

Edited by MeanGreenNC

Just now, MeanGreenNC said:

Hey man I think your spot on! The running of the program he was fine with, just don't ask him to run an offense! Memphis has used him in an advisory roll for a few years now. The only reason he is given the OC title is so he can get paid. 

exactly...Norvell will handle most of the play calling.

21 hours ago, MeanGreenNC said:

Dude, openly admit I jumped to conculusions on the record thing. However, the only fact JQ is holding that record is because he played in far more games then any other receiver. And to answer your question yes many North Texas receivers had over 500 yards receiving a year, there not hidden they are in your very own fact book(strange comment). As a matter of fact Casey Fitzgerald probably would be the all time leader in receiving if he got to start about two more games. And yes Lance was great and one of the reasons he was great is because he played in a Dodge Offense that at least tried to keep the other team honest. If you think DD was a great play caller your football IQ is questionable at best. Any way I've said my piece! 

Or, if Casey had been able to beat out Quinn, Brandon Jackson, Joel Nwigwe, or Zach Muzzy in 2005 or 2006.  He did have the option of cracking the two deep in 2005 and 2006, before Dodge showed up. 

I do love Casey Fitzgerald.  But, there are reasons that it is impressive that a guy can start four years in a row, beginning with his freshman season.  Heck, even making major contributions off the bench as a freshman and sophomore. 

As much as Fitzgerald became Vizza's security blanket in 2007 and 2008, he had the opportunities to get on the field in 2005 and 2006 as well.  Quinn's career - and, many others at other positions - show that Dickey would play the best player regardless of academic classification.

Fitzgerald was a god send to Vizza in Dodge's tight end-less offense, for sure.  But, he couldn't beat out Quinn, Jackson, Nwigwe, and Muzzy for more playing time in 2005 and 2006.

57 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Or, if Casey had been able to beat out Quinn, Brandon Jackson, Joel Nwigwe, or Zach Muzzy in 2005 or 2006.  He did have the option of cracking the two deep in 2005 and 2006, before Dodge showed up. 

I do love Casey Fitzgerald.  But, there are reasons that it is impressive that a guy can start four years in a row, beginning with his freshman season.  Heck, even making major contributions off the bench as a freshman and sophomore. 

As much as Fitzgerald became Vizza's security blanket in 2007 and 2008, he had the opportunities to get on the field in 2005 and 2006 as well.  Quinn's career - and, many others at other positions - show that Dickey would play the best player regardless of academic classification.

Fitzgerald was a god send to Vizza in Dodge's tight end-less offense, for sure.  But, he couldn't beat out Quinn, Jackson, Nwigwe, and Muzzy for more playing time in 2005 and 2006.

Casey Fitzgerald was a walk-on.  Walk-ons are typically not even given a serious look in practice.  He wasn't at JQ's level, but he would have held his own with any of those others.

Dickey's failure to see what he had right under his nose was just that.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:28 AM, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Darrell Dickey was one hell of a football coach.  He'd have gone 13-0 and North Texas would have become Boise State-South if he'd had Apogee, higher assistant coach pay, and better facilities to work with!

Raise a mug to Darrell Dickey, the next time you raise a mug!

636201559665636312-1231-MASP-umfb13.JPG

Agree.

I also recall that
_3806351.JPG

set some receiving records with Darrell Dickey as the head coach.

People forget that.  I know you don't forget it.  But, "people" tend to forget. 

(We also had some pretty good receiving tight ends back then, no?)

This may be the best JQ and/or UNT football picture EVER!!!!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Casey Fitzgerald was a walk-on.  Walk-ons are typically not even given a serious look in practice.  He wasn't at JQ's level, but he would have held his own with any of those others.

Dickey's failure to see what he had right under his nose was just that.

So, he has Johnny Quinn and Casey Fitzgerald on the roster, but didn't know what he had because Quinn played and Fitzgerald didn't?

That's another interesting angle.  Doesn't make sense.  But, interesting nonetheless.

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

Dang. 

Hell hath no fury like a Mean Green fan scorned.

Whatever your feelings on DD, he can scoreboard all our recent coaches with conference championship and bowl appearances.

No matter how you think he got there - or the legitimacy - no other previous NT FB coach can match those accomplishments.

*in the last couple decades! last couple decades.

No success here goes unpunished.

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

So, he has Johnny Quinn and Casey Fitzgerald on the roster, but didn't know what he had because Quinn played and Fitzgerald didn't?

That's another interesting angle.  Doesn't make sense.  But, interesting nonetheless.

Not what I said.  At all.  You forgot what you posted, and didn't read what I posted.  Let me repeat it for you again very slowly:

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

He wasn't at JQ's level, but

he

would

have

held

his

own

with

any

of

those

others.

2 hours ago, Aldo said:

Dang. 

Hell hath no fury like a Mean Green fan scorned.

Whatever your feelings on DD, he can scoreboard all our recent coaches with conference championship and bowl appearances.

No matter how you think he got there - or the legitimacy - no other previous NT FB coach can match those accomplishments.

*in the last couple decades! last couple decades.

If that's directed at me, I opposed Dickey's firing at the time and I was the first to praise him in this thread.  He had issues, but I'll readily acknowledge that he has earned his place in modern Mean Green history.

But posters taking shots at Casey Fitzgerald don't know what they're talking about.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

No success here goes unpunished.

No dog in this fight, just would like you to consider that coaches do, in fact, overlook or misplace talent.

Also stating another obvious: his ability might not have been there until his third year.  "Player development" and all that.

18 hours ago, greenminer said:

No dog in this fight, just would like you to consider that coaches do, in fact, overlook or misplace talent.

Also stating another obvious: his ability might not have been there until his third year.  "Player development" and all that.

Yes, that was the crux of my point.  It was argued - incredibly - that the only reason Quinn had the record was that he started four years and Fitzgerald only two.

Well...if Quinn was good enough to play as a freshman an recognize it, it goes without saying that it was the same with any WR on the roster under Dickey. 

Fitzgerald never beat out Quinn, Jackson, Nwigwe, or Muzzy.

That's part of holding a record in most cases - longevity due to the ability to get on the field early in your career. 

The overarching conversation is the continual denigration of Darrell Dickey.  He continues to be employed putting together offenses.  This, for reasons unknown, vexes some UNT fans. 

I point out that the UNT career receiving yards leader played his entire career under Dickey, and some go ape.  Have no idea why that bothers anyone. 

Anything positive from Dickey's era sets off a subset of UNT fans.  It's truly incredible.

-"Yeah, but...Quinn started for four years and Fitzgerald didn't."  As though it's Dickey's fault Fitzgerald couldn't crack the two-deep while Quinn, Jackson, Muzzy, and Nwigwe did.
-"The defense carried us back then." Okay...but who hired the defensive coaches and signed the players? 
-"We had multiple 1,000 rushers in a run-based attack because we didn't throw enough."  Oh, so...if the run game is working, the defense is wreaking havoc on opposing offenses, Dickey was supposed to suddenly start making game plans with 30-40 passes?
-"We played in a horrible Sun Belt."  So, Dickey put us in the Sun Belt?  He was AD and Head Coach?  What...is it supposed that our fans would be happier if we'd lost 26 Sun Belt games in a row and finished last in the Sun Belt four years in a row instead of winning all of those games and conference titles?

It's stupid.

Darrell Dickey did a hell of a job here over at that dilapidated stadium with an AD that fought him tooth and nail over things like uniforms...things that are now commonplace here now:  excellent facilities, multiple uniform choices throughout the season.

He's doing a hell of a job in Memphis, and deserves what he gets for his good work.   

• Upvote 1