Army Gift

GrandGreen

2 hours ago, Moobs said:

That's well and good.  But anyone keeping up with the programs knows that Navy only lost because of their injuries, specifically the QB.

But I'm still scared for us in this bowl game

And who would those people be?  If we are honest with ourselves we know that most people's knowledge of the inner workings of all but their favorite team (injuries, recruiting, etc) is superficial at best.  People know what your record is because they can look it up, who you beat this week and what they are told on Sportscenter...no more, no less.  

"Army beats Navy for first time in 14 years" is the depth of the knowledge that most who would consider attending the HOD Bowl has. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 5

Anyone who follows the programs knows that the game is often close regardless of the relative strengths of the teams. This has been especially true since Jeff Monken became HC at Army.

In 2015, Army lost by 4.  The 2015 Navy team featured their best QB since Staubach and a lot of other offensive weapons, and a much better defense than the 2016 Navy defense.  The 2015 Army team wasn't nearly as good as the 2016 Army team. The game came down to a double pass intercepted by Navy at their own 3 yard line with 2 minutes left.  Army held Navy to 200 yards rushing -- well below their season average (300+).

In 2014, Keenan Reynolds' junior year, the margin was 7 points.  Navy had 205 yards rushing -- well below their season average (300+).  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BeatNavy said:

Anyone who follows the programs knows that the game is often close regardless of the relative strengths of the teams. This has been especially true since Jeff Monken became HC at Army.

In 2015, Army lost by 4.  The 2015 Navy team featured their best QB since Staubach and a lot of other offensive weapons, and a much better defense than the 2016 Navy defense.  The 2015 Army team wasn't nearly as good as the 2016 Army team. The game came down to a double pass intercepted by Navy at their own 3 yard line with 2 minutes left.  Army held Navy to 200 yards rushing -- well below their season average (300+).

In 2014, Keenan Reynolds' junior year, the margin was 7 points.  Navy had 205 yards rushing -- well below their season average (300+).  

does the army win make the bowl game have any more interest to army folks and possibly enticing them to make the trip?

I doubt that it will have any significant impact.  Those that were on the fence may change their minds, but I really don't think anyone was sitting at home (or in Baltimore) thinking, "If Army wins, then I'll change my post-Christmas plans."

I believe we'll have a very good turnout. We have lots of graduates within easy traveling distance of the game.  The West Point Society of North Texas includes about 1200 graduates and 200 parents of cadets & graduates.  There are 50 or so cadets per USMA class from the DFW area.  Fort Hood, where I spent most of my active duty time, is an easy drive.  Fort Sill, the home of Field Artillery and Air Defense Artillery, is close.  Lots of Army football players go to those two branches.  We tend to draw well for games in Texas.

• Upvote 3