Dead Period

buff64

The dead period is the most restrictive. No in-person contact is allowed, even if a prospect makes a visit to the college campus. Written and electronic communications are still permitted. Remember that Next Wednesday December 14 is Mid-Term JUCO signing day as well.

Edited by Eagle-96
  • Upvote 5

51 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

The dead period is the most restrictive. No in-person contact is allowed, even if a prospect makes a visit to the college campus. Written and electronic communications are still permitted. Remember that Next Wednesday December 14 is Mid-Term JUCO signing day as well.

Let's hope our coaching staff understands this. They must understand this and use it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

They need to be posting pics, videos every chance possible on twitter and using snapchat and Instagram a ton. 

Another Question, is with Dec Signings.. Could that promote those signings? Would be something else to do is the mid-term enrollees posting why  they picked UNT, etc

i think they are trying to be quiet as much as possible. To stop big p5 programs from larking behind. I have seen it happen a ton with offering a kid. that no one has heard then us or utsa or tulsa offer. then with in a month he has 12 offers. I believe we were Lott DE from Ardmore first offer. now within a week he has had OU, OSU and TCU offer. They have 2 kids in east texas they have visited twice that are sleepers. but i have kept from posting anything just to try and not spoil their sleeper.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, TheReal_jayD said:

i think they are trying to be quiet as much as possible. To stop big p5 programs from larking behind. I have seen it happen a ton with offering a kid. that no one has heard then us or utsa or tulsa offer. then with in a month he has 12 offers. I believe we were Lott DE from Ardmore first offer. now within a week he has had OU, OSU and TCU offer. They have 2 kids in east texas they have visited twice that are sleepers. but i have kept from posting anything just to try and not spoil their sleeper.

I meant  promoting the program as in still practicing and training, along with the DEC signs if we can, and I would agree trying to leave the in home-visits under the radar.. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I meant  promoting the program as in still practicing and training, along with the DEC signs if we can, and I would agree trying to leave the in home-visits under the radar.. 

i gotcha. yeah it sucks seeing all these other coaches in houses and stuff. our coaches are out and seeing th esame amount of kids. just trying to stay low keys

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

i gotcha. yeah it sucks seeing all these other coaches in houses and stuff. our coaches are out and seeing thesame amount of kids. just trying to stay low keys

I can buy this, but wouldn't that also mean that the kids we're recruiting are somewhat off the radar? Wouldn't that also worry them about the commitment level of the kid(s) in question? We also have other commitments, why didn't we do the same with them? We're going to have to want to compete for some of the kids in order to take the next step as a program, but that's just my two sense. I don't doubt they are working hard at all. Just a couple of signs of it would be a nice start.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

i gotcha. yeah it sucks seeing all these other coaches in houses and stuff. our coaches are out and seeing th esame amount of kids. just trying to stay low keys

In other words they are stealth/ninja recruiting. I remember during the Dickey days we would have a kid sign, and be like "When did this guy committ to us?"

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Stealth recruiting is a low key term for not recruiting very well. It appears to be exactly what we are doing. 

Would you say the same thing if the kid from Ardmore we offered who had 0 offers committed to us, knowing now that OSU,OU, and whoever else came in and offered shortly after us?  We have multiple coaches on staff who have had to and still do find talent.  They know what legit D1 players play and look like.  I am willing to be patient as much as that sucks. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Would you say the same thing if the kid from Ardmore we offered who had 0 offers committed to us, knowing now that OSU,OU, and whoever else came in and offered shortly after us?  We have multiple coaches on staff who have had to and still do find talent.  They know what legit D1 players play and look like.  I am willing to be patient as much as that sucks. 

Finding out what they look like isn't the question. They have already done things such as what your scenario suggests. The current problem is not to find them, but to sign them. Coaches at Illinois. Northwestern, and Purdue find players all the time just to watch Ohio or UM swoop down from the north and pry them away. We are having the likes of utsa, tx st, ar st, etc. jump in and take our potential signees. We need to step our game up and there is no room to defend that or even remotely suggest otherwise. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Downvote 5

18 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Finding out what they look like isn't the question. They have already done things such as what your scenario suggests. The current problem is not to find them, but to sign them. Coaches at Illinois. Northwestern, and Purdue find players all the time just to watch Ohio or UM swoop down from the north and pry them away. We are having the likes of utsa, tx st, ar st, etc. jump in and take our potential signees. We need to step our game up and there is no room to defend that or even remotely suggest otherwise. 

Who have those teams swooped in and stole? Not being a smart Alec either.  I know a few kids committed there but we could have offered at one position (QB Jaylin Nelson comes to mind) and they offer at another and that's the position he wants to play. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

Who have those teams swooped in and stole? Not being a smart Alec either.  I know a few kids committed there but we could have offered at one position (QB Jaylin Nelson comes to mind) and they offer at another and that's the position he wants to play. 

The problem is there. It's relevant. Let's all pay attention this time around so we don't get McCarney'd again. I'm currently on my phone and have no interest in pulling up offers sheets, commits, numbers, recruit interest, etc. As Littrell would say, at the end of the day we have to do better. There is no such thing as stealth recruiting in modern CFB. You are either positioning your program well for NSD or you're not. There are no in betweens. The current feeling and I think most people including yourself would agree, is that we are not. I'm not here to criticize this staff for X years. I want what every other poster here wants, success. The fastest way to that success is to recruit well. I'm worried. We all should be. Championships are won in February. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I see this board making the same mistakes over and over and over again. I guess that means a lot here are insane. 

Recruiting with Littrell and staff continues to be a huge concern. I'm quite sure I will be tarred and feathered by the usual crowd who allow zero criticism of Littrell, but SO FAR recruiting has flat out sucked.  Dan McCarney level sucked. 

But just like when Billy was warning us about McCarney, the usual excuses will be rolled out there and the people who point out the inadaquacies will be dismissed as disgruntled and bitter (like there isn't anything to be disgruntled and bitter about, lol). 

As to that kid who got offers from OU and OSU, I guess he got those offers AFTER he was given a 24/7 and Rivals page. Because we all know he sucked until that happened... ?

If Littrell and staff don't pick it up, UNT will be looking for a new coach in 2 or 3 years. And it won't be because Littrell left for a better job.

EDIT: Actually, the definition of insanity should be changed to "being a North Texas fan..."

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

I'm hoping for at least one maybe 2 juco O-Line and 2 Juco wrs to go along with Isadore on December 14th! 

52 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I see this board making the same mistakes over and over and over again. I guess that means a lot here are insane. 

Recruiting with Littrell and staff continues to be a huge concern. I'm quite sure I will be tarred and feathered by the usual crowd who allow zero criticism of Littrell, but SO FAR recruiting has flat out sucked.  Dan McCarney level sucked. 

But just like when Billy was warning us about McCarney, the usual excuses will be rolled out there and the people who point out the inadaquacies will be dismissed as disgruntled and bitter (like there isn't anything to be disgruntled and bitter about, lol). 

As to that kid who got offers from OU and OSU, I guess he got those offers AFTER he was given a 24/7 and Rivals page. Because we all know he sucked until that happened... ?

If Littrell and staff don't pick it up, UNT will be looking for a new coach in 2 or 3 years. And it won't be because Littrell left for a better job.

EDIT: Actually, the definition of insanity should be changed to "being a North Texas fan..."

I understand your disgust and your point I am right there with you. Then I start thinking they had 4 guys with there first class with 0 other D-1 offers that contributed quite a bit and played well as true freshman. 2 walk ons step in and play significant downs.  

11 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I understand your disgust and your point I am right there with you. Then I start thinking they had 4 guys with there first class with 0 other D-1 offers that contributed quite a bit and played well as true freshman. 2 walk ons step in and play significant downs.  

If we are counting on walk ons and guys with no other offers, get ready for a ton of 3-9 seasons. Beating people out for recruits matters. "Coach 'em up" is great and necessary, but talent wins 90% of the time. 

Again, this was the same thing said of the great DMac. 

We need to start winning recruiting battles. We need to get into area HS much more than we have been. UTSA is murdering UNT in recruiting right now. That's unacceptable. To a few of us, anyway.

There is a reason UNT has been terrible forever.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

48 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

If we are counting on walk ons and guys with no other offers, get ready for a ton of 3-9 seasons. Beating people out for recruits matters. "Coach 'em up" is great and necessary, but talent wins 90% of the time. 

Again, this was the same thing said of the great DMac. 

We need to start winning recruiting battles. We need to get into area HS much more than we have been. UTSA is murdering UNT in recruiting right now. That's unacceptable. To a few of us, anyway.

There is a reason UNT has been terrible forever.

One thing we can agree on. Seth had more wins than ole Willie Fritz this year.. 

• Upvote 4