Wren Baker on Bowl Game Possibilities

51 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

LaTech president says they want Heart of Dallas too. If they win, they will undoubtedly pick it. If they lose, there may be some politics involved. The conference might have to dangle the carrot of a better opponent elsewhere to coax them. I think there is an unspoken preference to teams with better records getting their pick over lower record teams.

Unless they win the CUSA championship they will be going where it is dictated to them. CUSA wants to look good on national television and La Tech may bring 10-12K to Dallas for any game, ever. The bowls themselves don't want it to look, from a far, like a scrub ass bowl. They will want as many butts in seats as possible. If La Tech loses I think we go to HoD. If La Tech wins we will go to either the Cure bowl or Armed Forces. Let's all hope La Tech loses...As they probably should. I have a feeling we don't go to the Armed Forces Bowl. That will almost undoubtedly be Navy, and they will want to pair them up with semi-local team that is far more competitive than us. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

8 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

ESPN report says Navy could play the Cotton Bowl if they win the AAC title game. Hold your horses, folks. 

Navy is Top 25 but this isn't some SEC or Big 10 program who is bigger, faster, and stronger than you. Their system is rare in today's football and is hard to defend against. This year, Navy beat UConn (3-9) 28-24 and Tulane (4-8) 21-14. They didn't crush everybody. They're not going to bully you around the field. They just play smart and disciplined. You can beat a team like Navy with a sound gameplan and strong execution. That isn't always the case against the more consistent Top 25 teams. This is actually one of the few chances were a team like we have can compete with a Top 25 team because of who they are and how they got there. This is one of the few games you can play against a Top 25 team where you aren't going to lose because you will get dominated on the LOS. This is an opportunity to take.

Interesting...

Whoever we play our "D" still needs to get some turnovers on "the other teams side of the 50 yard line."  

A Sun Belt no name school like South Alabama (at least "no-name" to most of us in Texas) might be more winnable but would not sell tickets. 

I wish we were 3 years in on Seth Littrell's career at UNT.  I think he and staff are going to recruit some players to help our players now who will be juniors and seniors in 3 years.  Our UNT coaches are all young & will not want UNT to be their last stop, but that's alright because that scenario is a win-win we haven't had for many of our adult lives following this program.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

ESPN report says Navy could play the Cotton Bowl if they win the AAC title game. Hold your horses, folks. 

Navy is Top 25 but this isn't some SEC or Big 10 program who is bigger, faster, and stronger than you. Their system is rare in today's football and is hard to defend against. This year, Navy beat UConn (3-9) 28-24 and Tulane (4-8) 21-14. They didn't crush everybody. They're not going to bully you around the field. They just play smart and disciplined. You can beat a team like Navy with a sound gameplan and strong execution. That isn't always the case against the more consistent Top 25 teams. This is actually one of the few chances were a team like we have can compete with a Top 25 team because of who they are and how they got there. This is one of the few games you can play against a Top 25 team where you aren't going to lose because you will get dominated on the LOS. This is an opportunity to take.

Navy is  stronger & faster than NT, Army, Air Force, & a lot of other G5s.  Their success is not simply because no one sees the option much anymore. 

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Interesting...

Whoever we play our "D" still needs to get some turnovers on "the other teams side of the 50 yard line."  

A Sun Belt no name school like South Alabama (at least "no-name" to most of us in Texas) might be more winnable but would not sell tickets. 

I wish we were 3 years in on Seth Littrell's career at UNT.  I think he and staff are going to recruit some players to help our players now who will be juniors and seniors in 3 years.  Our UNT coaches are all young & will not want UNT to be their last stop, but that's alright because that scenario is a win-win we haven't had for many of our adult lives following this program.

South Alabama might be more winnable and that's exactly what cost Mississippi State their season opener. The issue to me is we can play a team like South Alabama but if we lose, that kind of loss will be more detrimental to our program than a loss to Navy no matter what the margin is. Win against a team like South Alabama and no one care. Win against Navy and everybody is paying attention. High risk high reward but right now, any bowl opponent is high risk but some opponents like South Alabama provide low reward.

1 hour ago, Got5onIt said:

Navy is  stronger & faster than NT, Army, Air Force, & a lot of other G5s.  Their success is not simply because no one sees the option much anymore. 

I agree and I did not try to imply that. They have beat good teams this year like Houston. They've also skimmed by bad teams. Nobody goes 9-2 with a realistic shot at 11-2 by accident but if you can beat their system and force turnovers, you can beat them. They aren't a team that no matter how good we plan, we'll still get stomped. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

South Alabama might be more winnable and that's exactly what cost Mississippi State their season opener. The issue to me is we can play a team like South Alabama but if we lose, that kind of loss will be more detrimental to our program than a loss to Navy no matter what the margin is. Win against a team like South Alabama and no one care. Win against Navy and everybody is paying attention. High risk high reward but right now, any bowl opponent is high risk but some opponents like South Alabama provide low reward.

I agree and I did not try to imply that. They have beat good teams this year like Houston. They've also skimmed by bad teams. Nobody goes 9-2 with a realistic shot at 11-2 by accident but if you can beat their system and force turnovers, you can beat them. They aren't a team that no matter how good we plan, we'll still get stomped. 

At this point in our program, Navy and most any P5 would be a horrible matchup (albeit in a good bowl game in Fort Worth). 

33 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I hope that whatever happens, we're able to keep things in perspective.  

WE'RE GOING TO A BOWL ONE YEAR AFTER GOING 1-11 WITH ONE OF THE MOST TOXIC COACHING STAFFS AND ATHLETIC ADMINISTRATIONS IN AMERICA

Win, lose, or draw, this season has been a rousing success in my eyes.  It lays a foundation for a very bright future. 

Truer words...

36 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

WE'RE GOING TO A BOWL ONE YEAR AFTER GOING 1-11 WITH ONE OF THE MOST TOXIC COACHING STAFFS AND ATHLETIC ADMINISTRATIONS IN AMERICA

Win, lose, or draw, this season has been a rousing success in my eyes.  It lays a foundation for a very bright future. 

Thank you. I agree to disagree with everybody about Navy. Everything from here is gravy so I want us to play the toughest opponent available for the highest possible reward. Just my opinion though. let's enjoy this bowl season! GMG

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Thank you. I agree to disagree with everybody about Navy. Everything from here is gravy so I want us to play the toughest opponent available for the highest possible reward. Just my opinion though. let's enjoy this bowl season! GMG

I pretty much agree with you.  I think you want as many eyeballs on UNT as possible, with the biggest name opponent you can get.  It has been a successful year for UNT considering recent circumstances.  Want to see more next year, but this season has been a pleasant surprise for sure.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

They don't really allow ties in college football anymore...

?

• Upvote 3

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 8:26 AM, untbowler said:

since UNT fans are scared of Navy, might as well send La Tech to play Navy and let UNT play Idaho or some opponent of lesser level. Would not want the team to maybe step and play better competition.

Huh?

What UNT wants ain't really relevant to the people making the decisions.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 8:37 AM, VideoEagle said:

These are the folks in 2012 that actually told the Indy Bowl committee to wait for La Tech to explore every possible other option before accepting the Indy Bowl. I can't imagine why the Indy Bowl wouldn't like that and moved on leaving La Tech to sit in Rust-on. 

I'm not sure their fan base even knows the AFB even exists as there no mention of it anywhere as a possiblitily. And they still seem to think that somehow the B1G is going to send a team to HOD. I would say it's a good thing the fans aren't the one's making the choice, but it was the administration that caused the problem 2012. 

One of my best friends is on the Indy Bowl committee. At the time it all went down their selection committee voted to invite Tech and gave them a deadline. Fools ignore deadlines.

Tech was of the belief they  would get Liberty despite Liberty saying they would take the winner of AState and MTSU, that was what they were holding out for. This is the Einstein squad that said they would bring more people to Memphis than AState or MTSU.

Tech creates their own belief system without regard to reality.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Huh?

What UNT wants ain't really relevant to the people making the decisions.

One of my best friends is on the Indy Bowl committee. At the time it all went down their selection committee voted to invite Tech and gave them a deadline. Fools ignore deadlines.

Tech was of the belief they  would get Liberty despite Liberty saying they would take the winner of AState and MTSU, that was what they were holding out for. This is the Einstein squad that said they would bring more people to Memphis than AState or MTSU.

Tech creates their own belief system without regard to reality.

La Tech:  The Little Red (and Blue) Engine That Could.  (No disrespect to one of my best friends whose dad attended La Tech).

I do admire that they don't sit around talking about potential, though.

I wish our new football coaches would steal their annual recruiting list and go to town with it! 

Give me some Red, babe'ee, give me some Red (especially you, HogDawg)!   :Zap:

• Downvote 1

So I don't know which of the 50 damn threads y'all made about bowls, but I'll pose this question:

We want WKU to win, right? This could make bowl implications a little simpler and in our favor.

And brings me to a second thought: WKU has the chance to be conference champions for the second year in a row. Remember our old Sun Belt friend?

Kudos to them.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Aldo said:

So I don't know which of the 50 damn threads y'all made about bowls, but I'll pose this question:

We want WKU to win, right? This could make bowl implications a little simpler and in our favor.

And brings me to a second thought: WKU has the chance to be conference champions for the second year in a row. Remember our old Sun Belt friend?

Kudos to them.

Yes to your question. We also want Navy to lose, though I will be rooting for Navy (as I always do) to win this weekend and next. 

Navy and La Tech losing would be beneficial for UNT though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

recruiting.

• Upvote 1