MGB: Five thoughts on UNT's loss to UTEP

Brett Vito

4 hours ago, GMG24 said:

It has nothing to do with little ole NT and has everything to do with kids who can play who get overlooked bc they're undersized etc etc,. Walter Dawn out at UTEP.  Coached against him, I'm sure he'll be making plays for UTEP for the next few years.  Solid HS football player who was just too small according to many recruiters.

look no further than 25 miles south in FT. Worth they didn't start by recruiting biggest baddest dudes around.  They got dudes who were undersized that could play and WON, won consistently then bigger faster dudes wanted to go there bc they were winning. 

I have been listening to a version of this for decades following NT.   Some local great high school player is not offered a ship anywhere because of any number of reasons, but it is NT that missed on him.   Also, I think you will find that TCU won a lot of recruiting battles to get to where they are today.  

I am sure you can make a long list of players who were under-recruited and became star players.  The problem is that you can't use hind-sight when offering those ships.   There are valid reasons why some players are overlooked.  It reminds me of the gambling services who tout what a great record they have on their picks.   They just don't mention the great number of series of picks that they issue and how many were terrible.    

25 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I have been listening to a version of this for decades following NT.   Some local great high school player is not offered a ship anywhere because of any number of reasons, but it is NT that missed on him.   Also, I think you will find that TCU won a lot of recruiting battles to get to where they are today.  

I am sure you can make a long list of players who were under-recruited and became star players.  The problem is that you can't use hind-sight when offering those ships.   There are valid reasons why some players are overlooked.  It reminds me of the gambling services who tout what a great record they have on their picks.   They just don't mention the great number of series of picks that they issue and how many were terrible.    

You seem to have all the answers, yet no solutions.  I am telling you there are kids ready and willing to play here that don't have a ton of offers mostly due to size.  If you want to win get the best players you can regardless of size and you win.  Then, you begin recruiting the bigger faster stronger kids as your program advances.  It is not rocket science, unless you are just a homerun hitter on the recruiting trail this is what you have to do to slowly build a program.  Don't believe me go check out Boise State and their rise to the top.  Recruited under the radar type guys who COULD PLAY, won, then started pursuing better recruits. 

Don't believe me? Check out Tyreke Davis kid is an absolute stud talent, unfortunately for him and VERY FORTUNATE for us he's 5'9 MAYBE 5'10.... These are the kind of kids you go get (obviously you can't build an entire class out of undersized kids) but you really have to go get kids like this at the start of a rebuild.  Kids that can play at the Division 1 level just don't quite have the size to be big time D1 prospects.  There is NOTHING wrong with that.

Edited by GMG24

53 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

You seem to have all the answers, yet no solutions.  I am telling you there are kids ready and willing to play here that don't have a ton of offers mostly due to size.  If you want to win get the best players you can regardless of size and you win.  Then, you begin recruiting the bigger faster stronger kids as your program advances.  It is not rocket science, unless you are just a homerun hitter on the recruiting trail this is what you have to do to slowly build a program.  Don't believe me go check out Boise State and their rise to the top.  Recruited under the radar type guys who COULD PLAY, won, then started pursuing better recruits. 

Don't believe me? Check out Tyreke Davis kid is an absolute stud talent, unfortunately for him and VERY FORTUNATE for us he's 5'9 MAYBE 5'10.... These are the kind of kids you go get (obviously you can't build an entire class out of undersized kids) but you really have to go get kids like this at the start of a rebuild.  Kids that can play at the Division 1 level just don't quite have the size to be big time D1 prospects.  There is NOTHING wrong with that.

I am not going to do any digging, but I think we have been signing kids who have no other FBS offers.  I have zero interest in inking a class full of them.

I would be interested in seeing TCUs recruiting class ranking (nationally and within conference) from each of the last 15 years.  Anyone have that?

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

Agree.  

I suppose some just ignore them but I have always wondered how a G5 recruiter could approach a top recruit who is leaning towards a P5 school?  

You can't help but think..."doesn't he realize that program is stacked at his position, to which the response is..."yeah but every top recruit thinks they are gonna start right away".  In fact, thru a connection at another G5 school I have I know for a fact the P5 recruiters lie their asses off to these top recruits promising them playing time etc....when they know damn well it's likely not going to happen for a while.

So how can you convince them that their best opportunity is here, that the best chance at early playing time is here and that their best chance to win a championship is here and their best chance at exposure to the next level is here?  

Just an idea I've had..and maybe the recruiters do something similar to this,....but my thought was show them a current-as-possible video of sideline shots of top recruits from competitive P5's from 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 standing there holding their helmets and getting no PT..

It would take some work to compile but what a powerful tool that would be for a recruiter to have on a surface pro or whatever....showing recruits exactly what they are up against and how deep they are probably going to be on the depth charts.

"So your dead set on playing QB for Alabama, and you have had a great career at San Angelo Central and think your gonna do big things there?  Have you ever heard of Alec Morris from Allen HS....?"

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I suppose some just ignore them but I have always wondered how a G5 recruiter could approach a top recruit who is leaning towards a P5 school?  

If we had followed that approach we would have missed out on Jamario, and Cobbs, and Lance...

You have to know when to cut your loses, but you also have to swing for the fences and just flat out beat another school.  

20 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

"So your dead set on playing QB for Alabama, and you have had a great career at San Angelo Central and think your gonna do big things there?  Have you ever heard of Alec Morris from Allen HS....?"

Every recruit thinks they are going to dominate where ever they go.  At least that is how the top recruits see it.  Without that attitude most of them would never become big time recruits.  

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

Every recruit thinks they are going to dominate where ever they go.  At least that is how the top recruits see it.  Without that attitude most of them would never become big time recruits.  

Isn't that what I said?  So to convince them otherwise...show them proof as to why they might consider us instead.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

21 hours ago, UNTexas said:

How about our team just sucks? Seriously, our D makes an above average running back look like a Heisman candidate, our special teams, mainly punter, has butter fingers, and our offense is pretty pathetic.

The only thing worse than our play today was the shitty camera coverage. UTEP's a punchline and they smoked us. I'm ashamed today and this team and staff should be ashamed. This is total bs.

I really am embarrassed to be a fan and alumni today.

Sucking not as bad as last year?  Do a little homework RB will probably turn pro. The game was a meltdown!! GMG 

• Downvote 1