Early Littrell Watch Worry

Texas Tech got buried, absolutely smashed by freaking Iowa State.  Hairgel Hands has a high buyout; but, how much can Sand Ag boosters take of 66-10 losses to Iowa State?

If we win out, going 7-6 with a bowl win, I think Littrell is targeted by either Tech, Tulsa, or both.  Possibly even Houston.

If Tech fires Hairgel Hands, TU's Philip Montgomery, who helped Briles build Houston and Baylor, is a top candidate there, I'm predicting.  Same type of offense, but without his head shoved up his backside re: defense and special teams.  

It's also likely that either Houston or Baylor make a run at Montgomery.

That leaves the Tulsa post open, a school 20 to 30 minutes away from Littrell's hometown of Muskogee.  Could totally see him making that jump, then potentially waiting for Bob Stoops to retire, then take the OU job someday.

If this is the case, let's hope we can be like Arkansas State and find another successful coach to carry on.

Along those lines, I think Todd Graham has worn out his welcome at Arizona State.  Any chance he's in the mix here if ASU fires him and Littrell has gone to Tech, TU, or Houston?

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 14

I think Meachum at TCU would have interest at HOU, but I could be wrong.. I thought he worked at HOU in the past, but I could be wrong again. 

Also, as much as I think SL would have interest in Tulsa, I'm not sure their school is willing to pay a buyout + a raise for SL but I could be wrong.  Also, I could see some high profiled coaches bouncing back at schools like Tech and Houston or even Tulsa like Les Miles.. Along with top programs losing Coordinators. 

But one thing I would have interest in, is what if we somehow got Kliff to come in here... I know we got GH but Kliff has had some great offenses...

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

Sonny Dykes more likely for Tech. Also La Tech coach is more attractive for openings at this point.

Agree about Holtz.  But, I think his next stop is a P5 job, not Tulsa.

Thinking both Arizona jobs might be open, plus Oregon in the Pac-12 alone.  Lots of shuffling, TU opening up is very close to home for both Littrell ... and, Mrs. Littrell.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

It is way toooooo early to even think of this kind of BS, Littrell will be here at least 3 years and likely 4-5. In the end from an outside perspective we have beat teams that are not very good for the most part. If we get ranked or go undefeated then Lettrell might fast track. 

2 minutes ago, shaft said:

I think Coach Bro has one or two more seasons at Texas Tech and why wouldn't Tulsa take Graham back?

They know he'd leave again.  Too unpredictable, but predictable...if that makes any sense.  The guy left to take the Pitt job, totally out of left field, then after one season cons his way into the Arizona State job, where he has underwhelmed.

Littrell is the safer, younger pick for TU if Montgomery find his way back to UH or Baylor, or Texas Tech.  Remember, Montgomery is a Briles guy - Tarleton grad, Stephenville HS coach with Briles who took the ride up with him to Houston and Baylor.  

The more info that comes out re: Baylor the more cooked a Briles comeback is.  Montgomery is one of the few survivors of that; and, he's every bit as rooted in Texas as Briles.

By the way, I think Little Briles is done as well.  Maybe not for good, due to his age; but, for a few years until the whole thing sorts out.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

It is way toooooo early to even think of this kind of BS, Littrell will be here at least 3 years and likely 4-5. In the end from an outside perspective we have beat teams that are not very good for the most part. If we get ranked or go undefeated then Lettrell might fast track. 

Yes, but you know how details get glossed over during coaching searches.  

The story would not be, "Yeah, but UNT beat bad teams."  The story would be, "He took a school from 1-11 to 7-6 with only 68 scholarship players...and partially on the back of a true freshman QB from a tiny Oklahoma high school, and who might be shorter than your kid sister!"

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

They know he'd leave again.  Too unpredictable, but predictable...if that makes any sense.  The guy left to take the Pitt job, totally out of left field, then after one season cons his way into the Arizona State job, where he has underwhelmed.

Littrell is the safer, younger pick for TU if Montgomery find his way back to UH or Baylor, or Texas Tech.  Remember, Montgomery is a Briles guy - Tarleton grad, Stephenville HS coach with Briles who took the ride up with him to Houston and Baylor.  

The more info that comes out re: Baylor the more cooked a Briles comeback is.  Montgomery is one of the few survivors of that; and, he's every bit as rooted in Texas as Briles.

By the way, I think Little Briles is done as well.  Maybe not for good, due to his age; but, for a few years until the whole thing sorts out.

I do think Briles should be out for a while.. But Baylor is out there as well as a school that is/could be looking for a coach.. I believe Grove was only given a 1 year deal, or could be keeping the seat warm for Briles Jr?

Also has it happened recently a young coach like SL going from a small school to a mid-tier school? I would think Tulsa would want to go after a bigger/sexier name.. Not that SL isn't but there are a # of other OC or DCs at bigger schools... 

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I do think Briles should be out for a while.. But Baylor is out there as well as a school that is/could be looking for a coach.. I believe Grove was only given a 1 year deal, or could be keeping the seat warm for Briles Jr?

Also has it happened recently a young coach like SL going from a small school to a mid-tier school? I would think Tulsa would want to go after a bigger/sexier name.. Not that SL isn't but there are a # of other OC or DCs at bigger schools... 

Agree.  But, I'm not saying Littrell to Baylor.  I'm guessing Montgomery back to Baylor, leaving TU open.  I can also envision Montgomery to Houston or Texas Tech.  Baylor and Houston are sure to be open, and Montgomery has already has success at both as OC/QB coach.  

I think Skip Holtz goes P5, too.  

How is virtual hometown boy done good Littrell, fresh off successes at North Carolina as OC and UNT, not sexy to Tulsa? And, affordable?  

• Downvote 1

I think SL is smart enough to know that right now, UNT is his best chance at getting into a P5 programs HC slot... Not jumping to some place like Tulsa or some other mid-major school, and then have to start all over again just like he did this year with UNT...Him going to Tulsa would mean re-hiring an entire staff, going out and re-connecting and recruiting more kids that may fit your scheme better then the previous staff.

I think if your worried about Tulsa, a good match for them would/could be Riley or even Kliff he get fired at Tech(which I doubt), or maybe even Charlie Strong, it was rumored UNT had talked to Riley when they started looking at possible candidates then when word got out he backed out..So that shows that Riley is/would be interested in a Mid-tier conference school, but I would think with what he is doing this year he could be in line for a bigger school...

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Yes, but you know how details get glossed over during coaching searches.  

The story would not be, "Yeah, but UNT beat bad teams."  The story would be, "He took a school from 1-11 to 7-6 with only 68 scholarship players...and partially on the back of a true freshman QB from a tiny Oklahoma high school, and who might be shorter than your kid sister!"

You are putting words in my mouth, no, I don't think there is even the tiniest chance this year and most likely same for next year. We are only on our radar no one else cares. It seems this line of thought that Seth Littrell has made even a ripple outside our little world is ridiculous and a bit of a Chicken Little mentality.  At the end of the day from the outside Seth has a long ways to go. Can he really build a team? Can He recruit? Can he build a staff that functions for the long haul? We only have 5 wins and at most 7 that is not going to mean anything outside our conference and not much in it. Remember there is a big buy out at this point in his contract. 

3 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I think SL is smart enough to know that right now, UNT is his best chance at getting into a P5 programs HC slot... Not jumping to some place like Tulsa or some other mid-major school, and then have to start all over again just like he did this year with UNT...Him going to Tulsa would mean re-hiring an entire staff, going out and re-connecting and recruiting more kids that may fit your scheme better then the previous staff.

I think if your worried about Tulsa, a good match for them would/could be Riley or even Kliff he get fired at Tech(which I doubt), or maybe even Charlie Strong, it was rumored UNT had talked to Riley when they started looking at possible candidates then when word got out he backed out..So that shows that Riley is/would be interested in a Mid-tier conference school, but I would think with what he is doing this year he could be in line for a bigger school...

"Some place like Tulsa" is basically home for Littrell.  He and his wife are both from there.  Both sets of parents still lives there.  

It's a step up for him in conference and pay.  And, TU has long had passing offenses, beginning with Kragthorpe in 2003.

What makes you think Littrell wouldn't take most of his current staff with him?  Why would he not?  All would be getting pay raises, and taking a step up the ladder towards P5. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

43 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

Thank you !  Seth and his staff have done a really nice job.   But it is WAY too early to being talking about this.   Not even close.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 2

Just now, MeanGreenMailbox said:

"Some place like Tulsa" is basically home for Littrell.  He and his wife are both from there.  Both sets of parents still lives there.  

It's a step up for him in conference and pay.  And, TU has long had passing offenses, beginning with Kragthorpe in 2003.

What makes you think Littrell wouldn't take most of his current staff with him?  Why would he not?  All would be getting pay raises, and taking a step up the ladder towards P5. 

I'm not sure that their is a major jump up in the ladder.. Also, these coaches have families as well... SL I believe also would give Baker a chance to match or even better the TU offer... Plus yes, TU is closer to home and could be another step closer to his dream job, but he has all of the tools here to build something truly great with it being close to home, a large amount of playing time for transfers, fertile recruiting grounds and his buy out...

IDK the budget for Tulsa, but I'm going to doubt they would pay a buyout + his raise and new contract along with all of his new coaches as well... They would'could easily go out and get a big name OC or even recently fired HC from a big school to come in, and pay less to them than SL.

1 minute ago, akriesman said:

Thank you !  Seth and his staff have done a really nice job.   But it is WAY too early to being talking about this.   Not even close.

agreed... 

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

We can all agree that Littrells specialty is offense. He would admit that to any of us. Well, we are dead last in CUSA in offense. His specialty needs to become a little more special before people start knocking on his door. 

• Upvote 3