North Texas now plays basketball too!

Gakusei

It's kind of sad that people who followed the football team when they were not doing too well dismiss the basketball team because they are not doing well.

I'm trying to jump on the basketball bandwagon after years of paying attention only to football. During all of the conference shuffling talk, it seemed to me that we would've been a much stronger player with a solid basketball program.

I can just see Johnny Jones five years from now standing on the podium about his second straight conference title at UNT saying,

"There was once a time when NOBODY would support our kids and the basketball team. Instead, EVERYBODY would talk of how bad we were and would never give us anything. They ALL turned their backs on us and NEVER did a thing to benefit this program. EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM turned their backs on those kids. But, my kids and I stuck together and we rose together to success (without any of you boogers!)"

hehehe..... biggrin.gif

I can just see Johnny Jones five years from now standing on the podium about his second straight conference title at UNT saying,

"There was once a time when NOBODY would support our kids and the basketball team.  Instead, EVERYBODY would talk of how bad we were and would never give us anything.  They ALL turned their backs on us and NEVER did a thing to benefit this program.  EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM turned their backs on those kids.  But, my kids and I stuck together and we rose together to success (without any of you boogers!)"

hehehe.....    biggrin.gif

LMAO!!! - One question though - if we do get an NCAA tourney bid. - Can we please get Ron Maistrie (sp?) to annoucne the innnviitaaaaaation??

rolleyes.gif

Sorry, I can't make myself watch an entire basketball game period. Same goes for scoccer. While I wish all 3 three teams the best of luck, having me there in the stands falling asleep is probably not what they want. However, if the school gets a baseball program, you will see me at every game.

"There was once a time when NOBODY would support our kids and the basketball team.  Instead, EVERYBODY would talk of how bad we were and would never give us anything.  They ALL turned their backs on us and NEVER did a thing to benefit this program.  EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM turned their backs on those kids.  But, my kids and I stuck together and we rose together to success (without any of you boogers!)"

hehehe.....    biggrin.gif

That's good stuff.

You know what hurt this program more than anything? Getting rid of Bill Blakely! It is amazing how the basketball program has mirrored the football program.

In football we did very well with Coach Fry, the games were exciting and attendance was pretty good. After Coach Fry left we went through a number of questionable coaches, interest lagged, our teams didn't post very good records and we dropped to D1AA. DD & RV have brought back the excitement and rekindled interest in the program.

In basketball with Coach Blakely we were very good, it was entertaining just to watch him on the sideline and the stands were usually pretty full. After he left, the style of play changed, questionable coaches were hired and interest began to lag. I hope JJ can turn around this program and increase interest also, but right now we aren't very good.

I am now an alum that has to make a committment to come to the Bball games. With football it is easy. Most games are on a Saturday afternoon or night and traffic isn't a problem. With a basketball majority of the Bball games falling during the week and beginning at 7:00pm I have to take in to account traffic, childcare, etc... It is just much more difficult to attend. A 7:30pm start time would help immensely, and as my child gets a little older, bringing him to week night games won't be a problem.

Just my $.02

The great thing about basketball games as far as the kids are concerned, is that even a 7pm start is usually done by 9pm. Still later than normal bedtime for the little ones, but not unreasonable for the occasional weeknight.

My two kids are just as excited about basketball as they are football.

maybe we could rally some support out of the student body and have a decent showing?

That would be great. However, unless a person finds out when the games are on their own then they will have no idea there will be a game that night, as usual. It would really great if there were some sort of spirit organization that put up signs and advertised for games, because we know the athletic department and university won't.

The days of us beating NAIA schools, as well as low-ranked Division I schools would sure come about a lot faster if we had average attendance of 4-5k instead of 1-2k at the games.

Nope, not in our situation this season I'm afraid. I'll be there at the big games for sure, but I'm not traveling anymore. I can't afford to do it for football and for basketball as well. Can most of you? Once the winning starts the students will start to show up a little more. Until then, forget it. BY the way, I watched the TCU Kansas game on TV and was thinking how bad the score is going to be on the 13th? I believe, if we play like we have been in the DMC(I'll be enroute to N.O.). However, I noticed the frogs layed an egg to Murry State so there is always hope. I'm not slamming anyone for REMINDING us all to remember our basketball team. But I'm reminding some of you that your preaching to the choir here when you start complaining about the lack of support of our programs by people on this board.

North Texas squared off against a J.R. Reed led University of North Carolina Tarheel team in the Hunstman Center on the campus of The University of Utah in March, 1988. It is still the only appearance a Mean Green team has ever made in the BIG DANCE. I WAS THERE as I have been for so many other baseketball games before and since. So please, when you do your reminding about FANS here on this board and support for our teams, DO ME A FAVOR AND LEAVE ME OUT.

Rick

You're taking this awful personally, Rick. I'm talking to all of the people that make the home football games during the semester, but won't even come out to 1 basketball game. Whether the team is good or not, they deserve the same support as our football program when possible.

I for one know that if we had 5,000 screaming Mean Green fans filling the Super Pit halfway to the top, these guys would absolutely be playing better. Right now, I'd bet they feel like they're playing for pretty much no one, and going by the last game's attendance, they're right.

I for one know that if we had 5,000 screaming Mean Green fans filling the Super Pit halfway to the top, these guys would absolutely be playing better.  Right now, I'd bet they feel like they're playing for pretty much no one, and going by the last game's attendance, they're right.

Not to mention being able to recruit better players would be much easier.

You're taking this awful personally, Rick.

Yup, I do take it personal when it comes to the Mean Green most times.

I for one know that if we had 5,000 screaming Mean Green fans filling the Super Pit halfway to the top, these guys would absolutely be playing better.

Maybe, I've seen it happen before and can't argue with you there. Maybe Baylor or Indiana coming to town will get more to show up?

Right now, I'd bet they feel like they're playing for pretty much no one, and going by the last game's attendance, they're right.

Yes, I imagine that's how the women's basketball and soccer teams feel too.

Rick

Hockey is way too expensive of a sport to add with our budget. We're talking at least 20 scholarships (along with 20 more womens, which would be 40 total), an incredible amount of equipment, and competition with the local clubs for spectators. This isn't even bringing the travel costs related with being the only school in this area with hockey into the equation.

Being a hockey fan, I'd love to see it, but I'd say we'd need to be a Big XII member before we'd have the money to do something like that.

Edited by Gakusei

While we're talkin other sports (which are just as critical as F-Ball IMO)...I wonder if RV's thought about adding NCAA Hockey....i'td be a little pricey, but may attract many people in the Metroplex, and would be good press , as we'd be the first Texas school to do it.

Not gonna happen unless someone gives a donation to build a hockey rink and supply most of the equipment. Plus it would throw the Title IX proportionality and equalness and whoknowswhat out of whack.

Of course it wouldn't hurt when the day comes that we stop having to come from behind to beat NAIA non-scholarship schools and losing to the likes of the Southerns' and Lamars'. <_>

I can't help but notice, that is pretty much exactly what friends told me when I tried to get them to come to FB games when we where losing, except replace "Lamar" with "Nevada".

Expecting the BB team to win with out fans/money is the same as expecting the FB team to do the same, its pretty much impossible.

I know it can be pretty hard to get to some of the games, but hopefully I will see alot of you folks tomorrow, Saturday, at 7:00pm smile.gif