Houston Only Getting $400k From OU In Return Game

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Man you got that right.

UH looks to be losing a net $950k in this deal and they don't even get to hold the "home" contest in their own stadium.

Personally, if we had to pay OU to come play us at JerryWorld, I wouldn't be in favor. I want home games at Apogee, period.

And it will be worth millions if they beat OU and get into the Big 12. 

I swear some of you can't see beyond your nose. I'm not surprised it's mainly the long term RV supporters. Birds of a feather and all.

This game sets up perfectly for Houston's long term goals. Now all they have to do is go out and take care of business. 

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. But their administration has put them in a favorable position to do so. When has that EVER happened at UNT? Never.

We choose whorin'

2 hours ago, NTXCoog said:

Keep in mind UH also has 6 real home games at TDECU including P5 Louisville.  This is a 7th game in the city of Houston that has been a neutral site kickoff game for the prior 3 years.

If you had 6 home games at Apogee including a ranked P5 team, would you be happy to play an additional game versus OU at JerryWorld? 

Shhh. You are ruining soneone's agenda...

This is Finch's 4th thread in an attempt to defend the scheduling genius of one Rick Villarreal. 

So interesting...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

And it will be worth millions if they beat OU and get into the Big 12. 

You are outside your mind if you think beating OU at NRG is going to get them into the Big12. Getting blown out by OU might be the nail in their coffin but winning just keeps them in the conversation with many other teams.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The real travesty here is that the schedule is basically shot for years because of the stupid philosophy of matching a bodybag game up with a home game against a FCS bought opponent.

So, looking out, we get these games in OOC:

2016: SMU, Butt Cookman, @ Florida, and @Army

2017 Lamar, @SMU, @ Iowa, Army

2018 SMU (if they haven't bought out the series) @Army, @ Arkansas, Incarnate Word

2019 Abilene Christian, @ SMU (assuming they haven't bought out the series), Army, @ Wisconsin

2020 SMU (assuming they haven't bought out the series), @ Texas A&M, Houston Baptist, @ Army

It probably won't matter by then, as I suspect the P5s won't be playing anyone in the lower G5s or FCS by then, but these future schedules could have EASILY been played out decrepit Fouts. Seriously, Butt Cookman, Lamar, Incarnate Word, Abilene Christian, and Houston Baptist are just pathetic opponents to schedule. They give you absolutely nothing of value for your program. There are thousands of people who refuse to step into Apogee as long as the opponent is at this level. Apogee was sold to us as being a game-changer, that it would allow us to host bigger and better programs. Instead, all we have seen it do is host teams that Fouts could have easily hosted without any problem. It shouldn't have been this way...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

You are outside your mind if you think beating OU at NRG is going to get them into the Big12. Getting blown out by OU might be the nail in their coffin but winning just keeps them in the conversation with many other teams.

Right. Remind me, did TCU get into the Big 12 before or after the Rose Bowl win over Wisconsin? 

Oh, that's right. It was 11 months AFTER that Rose Bowl win.

If you think a win over OU wouldn't affect their chances when they are already under consideration, you lack a basic ability to see how things work strategically. 

Congrats to Houston for having a bunch of fans that expect more and don't want to whore their players out every year to balance a budget. That's the reason they are where they are and UNT is the laughing stock of FBS college football. And some of you deserve to be laughed at. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Right. Remind me, did TCU get into the Big 12 before or after the Rose Bowl win over Wisconsin? 

If you think a win over OU wouldn't affect their chances when they are already under consideration, you lack a basic ability to see how things work strategically. 

Congrats to Houston for having a bunch of fans that expect more and don't want to whore their players out every year to balance a budget. That's the reason they are where they are and UNT is the laughing stock of FBS college football. And some of you deserve to be laughed at. 

The Rose Bowl is not played at NRG stadium and you forgot to mention that TCU had been ranked many times in the previous decade and had 4 out of 5 11-win seasons leading up to the 13-0 Rose Bowl year. Houston, before this year, had not had an 11 win season or been ranked since 2011.

• Upvote 1

UH also gets at least $1.35M in proceeds for the Advocare game.  We have sold at least 24,000 tickets as part of the season ticket packages and others have purchased extra or single tickets.  This game was also a big reason why many on the fringe bought season tickets this year.  It was for me, a Dallas resident.  I don't care much for the UofL game.  I like the opponent but the game is on a Thursday night (ESPN exposure). 

As far as TX State, I think we don't want to play body bag games and believe that TX State will bring fans to TDECU and we can bring enough fans to San Marcos to win the vast majority of them.  They are a solid regional 1:1.  SMU got some really good ones with TCU, Baylor and TX A&M.  I suppose it's tougher to get those types from out of state, although you did well with IU and KSU. 

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

UH will always have large monies alums that give back to the athletic department because of the energy industry in Houston, as well as the medical profession they get to tap into in Houston.

UH has alumni who have seen the Coogs win at a high level, from the 60s thru today in football and basketball. And their university puts revenue athletics on a pedestal for their window to the school. We don't have anything like that--never have...

17 hours ago, NTXCoog said:

And your point is?  A team loses a QB drafted in the first round that becomes Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year and they drop off some.  Imagine that.  And now they're pre-season ranked again. 

I'm more than happy to agree they aren't college blue blood if that's your point, but UNT fans would be over the top thrilled to have them schedule a 1-and-1, as they should be.

Of course they would be.  But, we don't have to recent relationship with Louisville that Houston does from years of being in the same conference. 

Take out the conference seasons you shared with them, and you find that Louisville hasn't had a game in Texas since a 1993 visit to Texas A&M.  Before that, 1975 at...yes, at...West Texas A&M, the old West Texas State.

It's just not on their radar.  In fact, most G5 Texas schools are not on other conference OOC radars.  I made that post a couple of weeks ago to hammer home the point that most schools who play G5 OOC stay regional.  Of the Big 12 schools, less than half of their future OOCs are against Texas G5s.

So...yes, people here would be happy.  But, it doesn't fit Louisville's scheduling philosophy. 

• Downvote 3

16 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

The real travesty here is that the schedule is basically shot for years because of the stupid philosophy of matching a bodybag game up with a home game against a FCS bought opponent.

So, looking out, we get these games in OOC:

2016: SMU, Butt Cookman, @ Florida, and @Army

2017 Lamar, @SMU, @ Iowa, Army

2018 SMU (if they haven't bought out the series) @Army, @ Arkansas, Incarnate Word

2019 Abilene Christian, @ SMU (assuming they haven't bought out the series), Army, @ Wisconsin

2020 SMU (assuming they haven't bought out the series), @ Texas A&M, Houston Baptist, @ Army

It probably won't matter by then, as I suspect the P5s won't be playing anyone in the lower G5s or FCS by then, but these future schedules could have EASILY been played out decrepit Fouts. Seriously, Butt Cookman, Lamar, Incarnate Word, Abilene Christian, and Houston Baptist are just pathetic opponents to schedule. They give you absolutely nothing of value for your program. There are thousands of people who refuse to step into Apogee as long as the opponent is at this level. Apogee was sold to us as being a game-changer, that it would allow us to host bigger and better programs. Instead, all we have seen it do is host teams that Fouts could have easily hosted without any problem. It shouldn't have been this way...

Yes, but as posted before, this schedule isn't atypical in college football.  In fact, it's pretty normal, with very few exceptions - those being the big boys being asked to play in special early season games negotiated by ESPN and FOX.

Out schedule is perfect for what we need to build the program now:  winnable games.   

I will guarantee you that, having a depleted roster, Littrell & Co are much happier with this schedule than one that would have had them on the road facing two or three Big 12 or SEC schools. 

And, yes, I know that there are people who still believe that scheduling a game with anyone in the country you want is just as easy as picking up the phone.  They can stay lost in la-la land.  Nick Saban even says you basically have to buy decent home OOC games these days.

But, what the hell would he know about scheduling, right?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Recently hosted Bethune-Cookman OOC:
2015:  Miami (FL)
2014:  FIU, Central Florida
2013:  FIU, Florida State
2012:  Miami (FL)
2011:  Miami (FL)

So...how, again, is scheduling BCU unusual for FBS schools?  Oh, yeah, it's not. 

FIU also hosted Pitt and Louisville in 2014.

Now I'm not saying that's advisable. At all. Just pointing out the fact that they did.

1 minute ago, Aldo said:

FIU also hosted Pitt and Louisville in 2014.

Now I'm not saying that's advisable. At all. Just pointing out the fact that they did.

Fair enough.  But, that's been addressed in another thread as well, how often P5 schools visit Texas G5s:  Pitt, never.  Louisville - once, this year.  And, it's the same with almost everyone else in the ACC.

But, the topic of discussion was Bethune Cookman.  And, we've had that discussion over and over again as well.  If memory serves correct, the vast majority of FBS school have FCS schools on their OOC schedules.  For some reason, it's viewed as an anomaly here.

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Fair enough.  But, that's been addressed in another thread as well, how often P5 schools visit Texas G5s:  Pitt, never.  Louisville - once, this year.  And, it's the same with almost everyone else in the ACC.

But, the topic of discussion was Bethune Cookman.  And, we've had that discussion over and over again as well.  If memory serves correct, the vast majority of FBS school have FCS schools on their OOC schedules.  For some reason, it's viewed as an anomaly here.

I think the discussion has been, to generalize, "I don't mind bringing in FCS, as long as we can bring a G5 with name recognition/P5"

SMU is not that school.

Edited by Aldo
changed semantics

1 minute ago, Aldo said:

I think the discussion has been, to generalize, "I like bringing in FCS, as long as we can bring a G5 with name recognition/P5"

SMU is not that school.

but it is what we have at the moment...let's make the best of it.  We start beating ALL the teams we bring to Apogee, then we will see different opponents.....  "Draw a crowd, and they will come"  I just invented that phrase....feel free to use it....

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I think the discussion has been, to generalize, "I don't mind bringing in FCS, as long as we can bring a G5 with name recognition/P5"

SMU is not that school.

Yes, however, before we had the SMU series contracted, people were clamouring for the SMU series again, quoting Matt Simon on the Safeway Parking Lot thing over and over, making jokes about them being afraid to play us, etc.  So, the people got what they wanted - a series with SMU. 

It's like dealing with children:  you give them what they want for Christmas, a few days later they want something else.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Yes, however, before we had the SMU series contracted, people were clamouring for the SMU series again, quoting Matt Simon on the Safeway Parking Lot thing over and over, making jokes about them being afraid to play us, etc.  So, the people got what they wanted - a series with SMU. 

It's like dealing with children:  you give them what they want for Christmas, a few days later they want something else.

Consolation after those children were promised better. Give me some more KStates, Houstons, Indianas, Bowling Greens, etc.

BUT, I'm not rehashing that discussion, so I'm done.

If, after it taking me 5 years to pay off my Club seats, for a stadium that I was told would bring in a higher level team, you were to tell me that we're going to play our "big name" home game off campus, I would lose my mind (that is to say my mind would be loose).

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2