MGB: Vegas over-under win totals out, 2 recruits of interest making their picks

Brett Vito

But Ben Gooding says this is unacceptable, so obviously Vegas needs to raise its views and expectations of our program. 

Meanwhile, every outside voice is screaming that we are one of the three worst programs in the country because of the hole McCarney left us in.

2-10, wins over Butt Cookman and UTSA.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Just now, oldguystudent said:

I don't think they do.

Yes, they do. You don't get back the full money you bet. For example, on a $20 bet you will get back  around $19. I am talking about legit, Las Vegas sports books. I have no idea how the bookie world works.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Yes, they do. You don't get back the full money you bet. For example, on a $20 bet you will get back  around $19. I am talking about legit, Las Vegas sports books. I have no idea how the bookie world works.

To be honest, I've never pushed.  Only lost, but for a $20 wager, I'd generally lay $22 ($20 + Vig).  I was always under the impression that you get the vig back on a push, but maybe I'm wrong.  We need more degenerates on here to chime in with definitive information now.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, UNT90 said:

What's juice?

It's the vig, the money the house takes on the bets.  It's usually about 10%, so if you want to bet $10, you have to pay $11.  If you win, you get your $11, plus the $10 from the loser.  The loser paid $11.  You got $10 in your winning bet, the house got $1.  This is why Vegas tries to set odds to get as close to 50/50 betting each side as possible to make the biggest profit possible.

If you pay $11 for a $10 bet, and you push, you get your entire $11 back and the house makes nothing.

So on an over/under bet that doesn't end in .5, I'm not sure, but I think you can push at 2, in which case the house makes nothing from anybody.  So it surprises me to see so many win totals in CUSA that have that possibility, although I may have the rules of winning vs. pushing in over/unders mistaken.

10 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

It's the vig, the money the house takes on the bets.  It's usually about 10%, so if you want to bet $10, you have to pay $11.  If you win, you get your $11, plus the $10 from the loser.  The loser paid $11.  You got $10 in your winning bet, the house got $1.  This is why Vegas tries to set odds to get as close to 50/50 betting each side as possible to make the biggest profit possible.

If you pay $11 for a $10 bet, and you push, you get your entire $11 back and the house makes nothing.

So on an over/under bet that doesn't end in .5, I'm not sure, but I think you can push at 2, in which case the house makes nothing from anybody.  So it surprises me to see so many win totals in CUSA that have that possibility, although I may have the rules of winning vs. pushing in over/unders mistaken.

If you bet over/under 2 and the team wins 2, you lose.

12 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

If you bet over/under 2 and the team wins 2, you lose.

I would therefore never take an over under bet that didn't end in 1/2.  House is trying to get 50% on either side of the bet.  If the team wins two, house takes 100% of all bets placed?  Doesn't smell right.  Now I'm about ready to get a flight to Vegas to go ask and get a definitive answer.

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I would therefore never take an over under bet that didn't end in 1/2.  House is trying to get 50% on either side of the bet.  If the team wins two, house takes 100% of all bets placed?  Doesn't smell right.  Now I'm about ready to get a flight to Vegas to go ask and get a definitive answer.

I had a brain fart.  On the numbers without a 0.5, there can in fact be a push.  In our example, if we win exactly 2 games, there will be a 'push' and both sides receives their money back.