MGB: Ranking the players on UNT's roster

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Nice series. Although I don't know that I'd call La Tech a "traditional Conference USA power" since they've only been in the conference as long as we have. 

Can't I technically say, UNT is top 5 oldest team in the league*?

*UAB left so they have to start over.

• Upvote 1

Ok, I had to wait till more names came out before I could critique...if we are depending on Scott and Smiley....then...

They are way too high in my opinion.  

As for C. Davis, I originally thought he was too low at 17, but considering he wasn't even mentioned last year, I guess 17 is a huge improvement.  To be barely above youngsters goree and Brooks, I had to see the rest of the list.

Davis wasn't great, but he at least showed he belonged starting for a D1/CUSA team.  I would say he at least turned in an average year, which is saying a whole lot.  3 big possible game changing plays while the game was still being played with starters.  INT in the red zone vs Tenn to keep the game 17-0 at the half.  And a forced fumble vs iowa to keep the game 14-0.  The other big play was the return against UTSA.  There were also other tackles for losses and a sack.  

He would tell you himself that he should have done more, but 3 big possible game changing plays is decent.  If all 11 on defense pulls that off, that's 33 big plays...

As far as pass coverage, he did his job considering the lame system and scheme.  Didn't give up no more than 2 catches for 15 yards in any game.  A few games he had no catches on him.  The longest play all year was a 12 yard slant that he should have picked off.  If I had to guess, less than 10 catches and 100 yards given up all year.

I'm not trying to imply he was Deion sanders because it was easy to run on us and pick on youngsters and lbs in coverage. No need to throw at him.  

Once again, davis, isnt all world, but from what I have seen out of smiley and scott, it must be assumed they will have some major improvement from last year to be rnaked this high. They did not look like D1 starters.  

If we are rolling out the same guys as last year and do not upgrade DL, LB and WR, we will get smashed.

• Upvote 1